Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How much do you ride off the saddle?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How much do you ride off the saddle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-20, 05:52 AM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
I'll typically only ride off the saddle on steeper climbs. In my part of Texas, they're usually few and far between, and short. I'm breaking in a new Brooks B17 and thought I would be standing on the pedals a bit more than I am, but I guess my 225 pounds is making quick work of the breaking in process.

Cheers.
Old 06-10-20, 08:24 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
A few months ago I couldn't stand, if I tried it my legs went into full rebellion. Lately though I find that as my fitness has increased it has allowed me to stand to pull the hills. I find myself standing more and more, not because I have to but because I can. And it is a great feeling for me personally to stand and mash down.
Old 06-10-20, 11:52 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
On my old bike I rode standing quite a bit, because it was the only way to force it and me up a hill. On the new bike -- lighter and with narrower tires -- I got in the habit of staying seated, mainly because I could now, and my ability to stand went away since I never did it. But this summer I'm riding steeper and longer hills and I'm both having to stand and able to stand more. It's nice. I'm trying to build that up.
Old 06-10-20, 02:35 PM
lelenz

Bikes: Sirrus X-4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not many hills on my rides and very little time out of the saddle. Stand to help with blood flow every now and then.
Old 06-10-20, 03:48 PM
CyclingBK

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Haven’t started yet. There is one hill on the 3 mile loop I ride in Prospect Park that I see a lot of people standing on. The pic below shown the part of the loop I’m referring to. But I haven’t really tried to do that yet.

I haven’t tried doing hill training but think I’m getting there and will try soon.

Last edited by CyclingBK; 06-10-20 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-10-20, 03:57 PM
cybirr 
Beer & Bikes

Bikes: '20 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '20 Specialized Shiv Elite, '13 Specialized S-Works Epic

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 36 Posts
Starting out, I leave my bike in a high gear so the first couple pedals are on the stand.
The occasional sprint, rare, but occasional.
And the steep bits of the hill. There's a 10% grade section on one I got to stand if I want to get up it for instance. Wrecks me after though.
Old 06-12-20, 01:05 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
Road rides 5 - 10%. Usually uphill but occasionally when I want to accelerate quickly.
Mountain bike rides 40 - 50%. Usually downhill but sometimes uphill if it’s a short climb. I particularly like rollers where you can do repeated short sprints and pick up speed on the downhill side.
Old 06-12-20, 08:06 PM
jleeg

Bikes: Moseman with Campy NR circa 1979, Merlin Titanium from1993 with newly installed Campy Chorus 12, Raleigh Tamland II gravel grinder, Tommassini XFire with Campy Record

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 38 Posts
I live where every ride from home is uphill, to nearly 10% grade, and I hate but love it. I am now nearly 69, but jump out of the saddle much the same way, same places, I did as a younger rider. I jump on most hills even bough sliding back in the saddle and pushing is or can be as effective. I’m slower etc but I still like the climbs and the jumps. I admit to being a little less certain with rocking my bike than I once was, but I’m kind of tickled to do it. I often think of Pantini for inspiration. Cycling is so great!
Best,
j
Old 06-13-20, 02:11 PM
Ronno6

Bikes: Cannondale SR's and ST's from the '80's

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
Today,I rode out of the saddle on the small rises we have here in South Mississippi way more than usual.
As I have lost significant weight this year, my knees didn't seem to mind.
I was able to stand for considerably longer periods than before....30 to 40 strokes.
My riding buddy typically stands up at about any rise, but is usually in too high a gear.Since he leaves me behind,
it is of no consequence. Today, when I got out of the saddle I was in a lower gear then he and was able to pass him about every time.
But, we were not really pushing the pace today.............

Last edited by Ronno6; 06-13-20 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-15-20, 01:56 PM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
It's something I'm trying to do more often. Having some trouble transitioning between standing and sitting on steep hills (9%+). I'm losing momentum during the switch to seated and fiddling with finding the right gear. Hoping to get better with practice . . .
Old 06-15-20, 02:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
@ Stoplights & Signs..
Old 06-16-20, 08:16 PM
tobey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I did very little standing until I took spin classes over the winter. Now I make a point of standing not just going up some hills but also on the flats. Also make a point of reducing my cadence which helps avoid getting tired to quickly.
I find that now I enjoy standing way more then I used to. My butt likes it to.
Old 06-17-20, 12:44 PM
SammyJ 

Bikes: 2012 Caad 8 105; 1994 Trek 5500

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
I thought you were supposed to set on it. Actually, I prefer to adjust my gears and keep a spin between 65-85

I am grateful for the headwind that challenged me today!
I am grateful for the tailwind that helped me go fast!

Clydesdales and Athenas Strava Club
https://www.strava.com/clubs/clydesda...bikeforums-net
Old 06-29-20, 12:34 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
I've always climbed seated, and stand periodically to stretch.
Old 06-29-20, 03:35 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
if it's some 60+ mile climbfest where i've got to reserve some energy for the last half of the ride, i'll rarely stand except to stretch for 15-20 seconds every 20 mins or so or if the grade gets above 9%.
if it's a whatever ride of less than 50-60 miles, i'll likely try to do a few hills/climbs of a half mile (or less) standing.
if there's a 3+ mile climb with a steady(ish) grade, i like to stand every 5 mins or so and count to 30 before sitting back down.
if it's a century ride, i'm standing/unweighting the saddle and counting to 60 (or sometimes 100) every 10-15 mins. if i'm doing an urban(ish) century, getting stopped at traffic lights counts.

in short, it usually feels good to recruit different muscles for a shortish spell. when you're in the perfect gear, standing, and the legs feel good, it's magical.