Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Rack Thoughts

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Rack Thoughts

Old 06-21-20, 09:26 PM
MtSprinter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bike Rack Thoughts

So since I'm into biking, the next thing I want and I've decided to buy is my first bike rack.

(For what it's worth, my car is an old civic '03)

I need a suggestion where to buy, my friend send me this kinda parts site https://www.mopargenuineparts.com/sku/tcfkm526ab.html, Thule brand. Is this fine?

Another is, the differences of using hitch mount or roof mount? I'm just seeing more roof rack guys than hitch type.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/recommendations.
Old 06-21-20, 09:33 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Roof racks are fine if the car is low, you're tall, and no garage is involved. A trunk-mounted rack is handy and will almost always be cheaper than a roof rack unless you get a super deal on used. Roof rack makes you look hard core. Recent development in bikes (very fat tires, through axles) might dictate a hitch mount with wheel trays that do not require wheel removal. For my needs I would select a receiver-mount swingaway.

Where are you located? Someone here might have something you could use or be willing to hit CL in your area to search. We like spending other people's money.

Last edited by thumpism; 06-21-20 at 09:42 PM.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 06-21-20, 11:20 PM
yamsyamsyams

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
If you’re looking for something sturdy and easy to use, hitch rack is the way to go. I can’t tell you how many horror stories I’ve heard of guys driving with their bikes on the roof, and that sickening crunch when they hit it on their garage, parking structure bars, or even low tree branches lining the street.

you could get a very sturdy hitch rack installed at uhaul or any automotive shop really, and hitch rack you could buy from REI or your local bike shop. Downside though is that this will cost you a few hundred bucks, or over $1k if you’re going for one of the newer, fancier hitch racks.

The cheapest way for your civic is a trunk mounted (or hatch mounted) rack - not the most secure looking and may mark up your paint job, but definitely secure when installed right and cheap (<$200), as well as being removable. I had this on my car for the better part of 4 years, carrying 3 road bikes at a time, and even a tandem without issues.

do some research and find a hitch or trunk rack that fits your budget and needs. Good luck!

Last edited by yamsyamsyams; 06-21-20 at 11:24 PM.
Likes For yamsyamsyams:
Old 06-22-20, 04:56 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
I have a 1Up hitch rack and love it. Some may consider it a bit pricey but the build quality is great, it's lighter than other hitch racks, a cinch to put on/take off your vehicle and when I transport my bike, it's as steady as a rock with no bouncing or noise. Additionally, it is modular. You can buy the rack for only one bike and, if needed, you can purchase modules for additional bikes and only use them when needed. They, too, are very easy to attach to the main rack. There is not one day that I have been disappointed with buying this rack.
Likes For oldwinger14:
Old 06-22-20, 06:00 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6929 Post(s)
Liked 10,931 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by MtSprinter
So since I'm into biking, the next thing I want and I've decided to buy is my first bike rack.

I need a suggestion where to buy, my friend send me this kinda parts site https://www.mopargenuineparts.com/sku/tcfkm526ab.html, Thule brand. Is this fine?

Another is, the differences of using hitch mount or roof mount? I'm just seeing more roof rack guys than hitch type.

You can get a lot of info about alternatives through your fave search engine. Lots of websites/blogs/etc do address the differences among rack types.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-22-20, 12:20 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Go to Amazon, search Allen Sports racks and Curt manufacturing receiver hitches.

got a complete set up for my Mazda 3 for $250 total. Hitches are model specific, excellent instructions make them easy to install, or cheap to have a local mechanic do it.

Been using it for multiple years now, super steady and super useful. I've used the bike rack to haul ladders around with. Got a flat tray at Walmart to haul things like trash cans, fire wood and propane cylinders.

I've heard roof racks can really affect gas mileage. I do lose a couple MPG with the rear rack loaded but seems like a roof unit would catch more wind. I would worry about dropping my bike into the car loading it, I'm pretty clumsy.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 06-22-20, 02:27 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
There are advantages and disadvantages to bot. When you put a bike on a rear trunk or hitch mount rack, the bike or bikes effectively become your rear bumper.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 06-22-20, 04:45 PM
CeeDotA

Bikes: 17 TCR Advanced 2, 21 Revolt Advanced 3, 16 Trinity Advanced

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I have both. Roof rack for when I'm carrying just one bike. Hitch rack for when I'm carrying two or three.

- Roof rack is lighter and easier to install compared to the hitch rack, although the hitch rack isn't difficult to install.
- Roof rack I can install on the car night before. Then in the morning when I head to my ride, I just back out of the garage, throw the bike on, and go.
- Hitch rack I have to wait until I leave before I install it. Car won't fit in the garage when I have it on.
- Hitch rack interferes with my rear end/reverse safety sensors and camera, so I have to disable all of those when I use it.
- Roof rack feels slightly less aerodynamic so I'm losing a little gas mileage (although it's a hybrid so the loss is marginal).
- All of the aforementioned notes about roof rack safety. My garage opener is on my rearview mirror, so I stick a piece of blue tape on the opener button to remind me before I open the door that something's on the roof. Although, that hasn't been an issue thus far.
- I have a taller SUV, and I'm short, so I have to stand on a 5 gallon bucket to get bikes on and off the roof rack. Because of this, I feel slightly safer with having a bike on the roof as opposed to the hitch since it'd take more effort to try and cut the locks if the bike is already on the roof as opposed to ground level.

All in all, I prefer the roof rack because it takes me less time to install the thing. I don't leave it on when I'm not using it.
Likes For CeeDotA:
Old 06-23-20, 12:52 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
1upusa - you can install the rack and the bike in about 20 seconds
Likes For Elvo:
Old 06-23-20, 02:43 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Love it!

Kuat Sherpa 2.0
https://www.rei.com/product/109437/k...ike-hitch-rack
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 06-23-20, 04:12 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts

Your old Honda Civic has rain gutters on it if I remember correctly. I don't believe that anyone makes the roof-rack mounting clamps for rain gutters anymore. You might be able to find a set on Craigslist but you'd have to be lucky because most of them have been tossed in the bin. Trunk racks are easy to use though you always have to remove them when not in use. I lock mine in the trunk when I'm out on a ride somewhere because in California here you can't put a penny on your dashboard that someone won't break out your side window to steal.
Likes For RiceAWay:
Old 06-23-20, 04:59 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I had a 2002 Civic coupe and with the rear seat folded my bike fit inside with the front wheel removed.

No need to waste money on a rack. And it's safest inside the car.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 07-07-20, 11:36 PM
MtSprinter

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hello all guys. Thank you so much for your suggestions and recommendations! Been busy this past few days on my work. So happy to hear all your POV.
Old 07-08-20, 03:51 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts

If you're willing to do some fabrication, you can make just about anything fit I'd start on your local Craigslist.

Old 07-08-20, 07:16 AM
Wilbur76

Bikes: 2020 Lynskey GR300, 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1991 Skykomish Marble Point, 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1992 GT Karakoram

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
Second this! Caveat with Sherpa, and generally this design, is how much pressure the front locking arm places on my bike’s cantilever rim brake. My hack/bodge solution was to install an easily removable cushy barrier guard using five-six 3” sections of pool noodle, 2 daisy chained velcro straps and a tupperware lid. Looks dumb but works like a charm. Btw, 1Up was my 2nd choice in hitch racks but their single bike rack cost the same as the Kuat Sherpa double and didn’t match Kuat’s fit and finish.

Likes For Wilbur76:
Old 07-09-20, 09:10 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I was at U-Haul today to buy a hitch for my van and they sell several hitch-type racks. I still think trunk racks are adequate and usually much less costly. Saris Bones is good (their three- or their two-bike racks, the singles are less recommended) and they turn up cheap used on Craigslist around here.
Old 07-09-20, 10:01 PM
y2zipper

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I am trip going with a hitch rack that I got installed through U-Haul. It's a more costly route than trunk but it's less of a headache and more steady on my hatchback.
Old 07-10-20, 10:29 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
After having my bike ripped off the roof TWICE on my own street by cable lines that had been knocked loose by garbage trucks I'm a hitch man all the way.

I went with the 1up but I use my rack all the time so it was worth the extra money too me. Plus I carry 1 bike 98.53% of the time and a single tray 1up isn't really that much more than most of the decent double racks out there. I did end up buying an add on but I waited a year or two so the cost was easier to swallow.
Old 07-10-20, 11:54 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Depending on how handy you are, you might consider installing your own hitch. I got a hitch receiver kit for my car from etrailer,com, and there were two nice things about the experience. First, they had downloadable instructions for installing each hitch, so I could decide if it was actually within my capabilities. Second, I didn't have to buy the hitch ball, which I would never have used.
Old 07-10-20, 02:05 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
i have a 1UP and it is great. if you want a cheap but good rack to haul your bike on the civic try and find a used SARIS BONES. on CL or EBay they work fine