Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Great cycling location in Europe?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-20, 12:47 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts

I am thinking of jetting off to Europe before the summer is over. I am an EU citizen, so I have far fewer restrictions (there still are a few) for entering.

I normally would just go to my family in the Italian Alps, but I am worried about seeing them and getting them sick. Fantastic riding there, was hoping to finally do all the ascents to Stelvio (I have done the main one).

Looking for great climbs, but they tend to be in the Alps, which can get expensive, especially when traveling solo. So nowhere else in Italy, Switzerland, etc.. I will be taking public transportation, and will need to rent a bike, so I need to end up in places where rentals are possible. I also need to go to a country with no mandatory self-isolation, which sadly are Italy, Spain, Netherlands etc.. I can go to France with a recent negative test result.

Any suggestions with my crazy requirements? Does not need to be world class climbs. Athens is a cheap destination and the riding seems OK. Long coastal rides are nice as well. Portugal is a possibility, but never heard about their cycling scene.

Last edited by Tycho Brahe; 08-20-20 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-20-20, 01:13 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
I've never cycled there but what about Grenoble? Alps are right there, accessible by high speed rail, and lots of lodging options. Given how much travel and tourism has declined, I would think you could get some great deals on lodging.
Old 08-20-20, 01:32 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I've never cycled there but what about Grenoble? Alps are right there, accessible by high speed rail, and lots of lodging options. Given how much travel and tourism has declined, I would think you could get some great deals on lodging.
Thanks! Prices are very good and not too far from Paris, which is a cheaper airport to fly into. I am still worried about France's requirements for entering.

Also open to website ideas to learn more.
Old 08-20-20, 01:48 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
I'd vote Tuscany. Don't know what travel is like right now though. The best time to visit IMO is mid fall, like early October, right at the end of the tourist season.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 08-20-20, 02:26 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Travel may still require some planning, forethought, and luck. My daughter, an EU citizen, flew to Germany via Paris earlier this week. On check-in, Delta agent demanded evidence of a covid test in the last 72 hours before issuing boarding passes, saying it was a requirement for all arriving at CDG, even with an EU passport. Good luck getting results of a coid test within 72 hours in most places around here.

We asked to speak to a supervisor, who backed up the check-in agent. we asked the supervisor to consult with higher management, and they relented and let my daughter check in and board. On arrival at CDG there was no problem.

shorter- leaving the US is still hard, even if you have an EU passport.
Old 08-20-20, 02:27 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Originally Posted by sfrider
I'd vote Tuscany. Don't know what travel is like right now though. The best time to visit IMO is mid fall, like early October, right at the end of the tourist season.
I already said I cannot go to Italy due to self-isolation rules. Besides, Tuscany tends to be pretty flat, especially compared to the rest of Italy. If you ain't climbing, you ain't riding.
Old 08-20-20, 02:38 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Portugal is awesome for cycling, look up Serra da Estrela Granfondo, plenty of climbing there! My parents are from a village on the border of Portugal and Spain and from our house there I can be at the summit of a Category 2 climb in an hour.
Old 08-20-20, 02:47 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Argeles Gazost in the Pyrenees would be a good start. Over 10 categorized climbs within easy riding distance, including Luz Ardiden, Hautacom, Galibier, Tourmalet, Soulor, Aubisque and many more. I have been going on alternating years for a long time and still find new gems. Generally quiet roads unlike the Alps and much better prices.
Old 08-20-20, 04:33 PM
UsedToBeFaster

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Lyon France

Excellent train connections and in centre.of France.

Day trips to the Alps possible.

Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
I am thinking of jetting off to Europe before the summer is over. I am an EU citizen, so I have far fewer restrictions (there still are a few) for entering.

I normally would just go to my family in the Italian Alps, but I am worried about seeing them and getting them sick. Fantastic riding there, was hoping to finally do all the ascents to Stelvio (I have done the main one).

Looking for great climbs, but they tend to be in the Alps, which can get expensive, especially when traveling solo. So nowhere else in Italy, Switzerland, etc.. I will be taking public transportation, and will need to rent a bike, so I need to end up in places where rentals are possible. I also need to go to a country with no mandatory self-isolation, which sadly are Italy, Spain, Netherlands etc.. I can go to France with a recent negative test result.

Any suggestions with my crazy requirements? Does not need to be world class climbs. Athens is a cheap destination and the riding seems OK. Long coastal rides are nice as well. Portugal is a possibility, but never heard about their cycling scene.
Old 08-20-20, 05:09 PM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
What about something more East? Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia? They have mountains, too, and tend to be cheaper than the usual tourist countries. Otherwise, what about Scotland? No passes like the Alps, but it does go up, too, and some amazing scenery.
Old 08-21-20, 02:31 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
massif central or the puy area or the vosges area in france. or...

german/austrian alps.

corsica.

the lake district in england.

what about the canary islands? i believe they are under spanish control but perhaps things are a little more relaxed away that far from the mainland.
i'd recommend the balearic islands as well but that close to mainland spain is likely less "relaxed" with current travel protocols.

might be time for a pilsner trip to the czech republic...

perhaps iceland...

and i know you specified europe but just throwing out the chilean lake district area. wrong continent. great exchange rates. similar flight but same/siimilar time zone so no jetlag.

Last edited by diphthong; 08-21-20 at 06:15 AM.
Old 08-21-20, 09:32 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
The riding in Croatia and Slovenia is outstanding! Plenty of mountains too. The only thing about going in and out of there is that the border agents tend to follow whatever rules they feel like for the day (and that is in normal times). I am not sure I would want to try to drive in right now.
Old 08-21-20, 10:41 AM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
This is a good thread. I have been slowly planning my dream European cycling vacation for a while. It seems like it's better to pick a base lie velopig said and ride/short drive to all these iconic climbs in the area.

One part of me says to go to Alpes (which some friends say roads and food are better on the Italian side) or go to the Pyrenees which really look stunning but roads can be rough and climbs can be less smooth. My biggest concern is what happens if I get a sidewall cut in the middle of climbing Tourmalet? Can I just call an Uber to pick me up? Those kinds of risks kind of steering me towards these cycle vacation packages. I can even go crazy stupid and take a shot at the Cent Cols Challenge. It will probably be next year or in 2022 so hopefully, COVID will be less of an issue at the time. Hopefully....
Old 08-21-20, 01:01 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Tatra Mountains ?

Old 08-21-20, 06:41 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Thanks for all the answers. The situation keeps changing day by day, so who knows what will happen. More mandatory quarantines are happening, even from within the EU, making the process difficult.

For others that are interested, here are two good links:
https://reopen.europa.eu/en
https://apply.joinsherpa.com/travel-restrictions

Portugal is awesome for cycling, look up Serra da Estrela Granfondo, plenty of climbing there!
Portugal is on my shortlist, for a few reasons: Never been there, reasonable flights, reasonable prices and still warm.

Originally Posted by velopig
Argeles Gazost in the Pyrenees would be a good start. .
Originally Posted by UsedToBeFaster
Lyon
Seems like France is a popular choice. Lyon is next to the other France spot suggested earlier. What worries me is there negative test requirement. I would need to get a test, results and flight all within 3 days.

Originally Posted by ZHVelo
What about something more East? Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia? They have mountains, too, and tend to be cheaper than the usual tourist countries. Otherwise, what about Scotland? No passes like the Alps, but it does go up, too, and some amazing scenery.
The problem with those countries is the mandatory quarantine, which you obviously cannot know about it unless you follow it.

Originally Posted by yarbrough462
The riding in Croatia and Slovenia is outstanding! Plenty of mountains too. The only thing about going in and out of there is that the border agents tend to follow whatever rules they feel like for the day (and that is in normal times). I am not sure I would want to try to drive in right now.
I have been to both countries, and I think of them as more mountain biking locales. Definitely no coastal riding. Besides, they are hard countries to travel to from the US and Croatia is being red-listed by other EU countries.
Old 08-21-20, 06:48 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
massif central or the puy area or the vosges area in france. or...
Responding to you separately, because it is you. PS: I might be free next week

I know very little of France, but so far it is a contender.

german/austrian alps.
Alps are pricey. But I will look into it. Two weeks, even one week, might be a bit much.

corsica.
Never considered it. I had friends that biked around Sardinia and loved it. Sadly, it is Italy, so cannot go.

the lake district in england.
No England. Will go there when I can see a football match.

what about the canary islands? i believe they are under spanish control but perhaps things are a little more relaxed away that far from the mainland.
i'd recommend the balearic islands as well but that close to mainland spain is likely less "relaxed" with current travel protocols.
The islands of Portugal and Spain actually have stricter policies. I would not even have this thread if I can go to the Canary Islands.

might be time for a pilsner trip to the czech republic...
No biking? Works for me.

perhaps iceland...
Strict quarantine.

and i know you specified europe but just throwing out the chilean lake district area. wrong continent. great exchange rates. similar flight but same/siimilar time zone so no jetlag.
The reason why I am looking at Europe is because I can legally enter as a citizen, no matter where I am coming from. I cannot go anywhere else in the world coming from the US.
Old 08-22-20, 01:07 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

well it sounds like france may be the answer. yah...corsica (exclusively because of the time and effort(s) involved to get there and back) or the puy area and the massif central area depending on how long
you go for, methinks you could significantly hit both the puy region and the massif central. plenty of climbs for you vs those pesky flattish, headwindy, alps and pyrenees valley roads but there would be
a bit of route planning/finding involved. corsica is a b*tch. you'd love it and you could just ride and react depending on the legs. how much route planning is involved on an island?

ps, i need to knock out a ridiculously stupid 100m/10k ride next week. glad you're potentially game. my recent 20-spots are not satisfying in any capacity.

Last edited by diphthong; 08-22-20 at 01:23 AM.
Old 08-22-20, 01:25 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Responding to you separately, because it is you. PS: I might be free next week

I know very little of France, but so far it is a contender.

Alps are pricey. But I will look into it. Two weeks, even one week, might be a bit much.

Never considered it. I had friends that biked around Sardinia and loved it. Sadly, it is Italy, so cannot go.

No England. Will go there when I can see a football match.

The islands of Portugal and Spain actually have stricter policies. I would not even have this thread if I can go to the Canary Islands.

No biking? Works for me.

Strict quarantine.

The reason why I am looking at Europe is because I can legally enter as a citizen, no matter where I am coming from. I cannot go anywhere else in the world coming from the US.
when was the last time this happened? asking for a friend and 349,999 million people...
Old 08-22-20, 04:51 PM
Tycho Brahe 

BTW, have I ever shown you my birthmark? It is shaped exactly like Corsica. It is destiny that I go.
Likes For Tycho Brahe:
Old 08-22-20, 04:55 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
France is great for cycling. I like Alsace Lorraine a lot. I also like Normany and Brittany. Both have serious hills and great scenery.
Old 08-22-20, 10:21 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Plenty of great places for riding. Make a shortlist of food and beer too and see where they overlap.
Old 08-22-20, 11:33 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Greece does have the advantage that it's cheap. Especially the food...
Be really hot right now though. Spring and late autumn are the go there. Plenty of hills too.
On my list of places to go back to.
Old 08-23-20, 03:33 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

BTW, have I ever shown you my birthmark? It is shaped exactly like Corsica. It is destiny that I go.
uh no.

just pulling up corsica segment explore on strava doing cat 2, cat 1 and hc climbs yields more routes than you can shake a stick at.
and they're all over/spread out so no matter what part(s) of the island you hit that day. you'll have a blast mapping out rides
on the strava route builder...plenty of choices for climbing. the flats? not so much.

looking at google maps shows a very comprehensive road network on the island. dunno about the road quality in general tho.

https://www.corsicacyclist.com/

Last edited by diphthong; 08-23-20 at 04:06 AM.