Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Considering Specialized Roubaix Expert with Future Shock 2.0

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-20, 12:00 PM
City Guy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts

Greetings,

I'm considering purchasing a Specialized Roubaix Expert with Future Shock 2.0. Anyone here have one who would like to share experiences, opinions, reliability of Future Shock, Specialized warranty experiences, and if you feel the Future Shock is useful.
My use would be exclusively road riding, centuries/gran fondos. and general group road rides.

Thanks in advance...
Old 08-25-20, 01:06 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
I ride some really deserted back roads, which means some really bad pavement. This is where you really appreciate the future shock. Mine is the 1.5 (no rebound damping) but it make a huge difference on a long ride. I only have about 2k miles on the bike and have had no issues with it. It can rattle a bit on a really crappy road but on a road like that, there's plenty of stuff making noise so it doesn't bother me. If you stick to the main roads with decent pavement, the FS is probably not going to be worth much.
Old 08-26-20, 06:54 AM
City Guy

Greetings,
Thanks for comment, I see you are in the Hollister area, I'm up on the Peninsula, Palo Alto.
Earlier this year I went on a ride with the bike club in the hills south of Hollister, see map.

Some of those back roads were absolutely the roughest I have ever rode on, but really beautiful area to ride. I wish I had a Roubaix with Future Shock for THAT ride. Will be looking at a Roubaix Expert at Cognition this week. Have you experienced any issues with the Future Shock?
Old 08-26-20, 09:16 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
If your butt bothers you or you feel like feeling the jolts and bumps of the road tires you out more on long rides, it might be the thing.

Probably more dependent on how heavy you sit in the saddle while riding. And I'm not talking abut how heavy you are, but how much of your weight is actually supported by your legs putting power into the pedals.

If you ride slower and relaxed, then it might well be a benefit. If you ride hard and fast, then not so much, but maybe some if you always ride rough road.

Last edited by Iride01; 08-26-20 at 10:43 AM. Reason: add a t
Old 08-26-20, 09:35 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Originally Posted by City Guy
Greetings,
Thanks for comment, I see you are in the Hollister area, I'm up on the Peninsula, Palo Alto.
Earlier this year I went on a ride with the bike club in the hills south of Hollister, see map.

Some of those back roads were absolutely the roughest I have ever rode on, but really beautiful area to ride. I wish I had a Roubaix with Future Shock for THAT ride. Will be looking at a Roubaix Expert at Cognition this week. Have you experienced any issues with the Future Shock?
The ride you did is one I do often in the winter and spring. When it's hot, I head toward the coast. The dead end portion of that ride is some of the worst pavement around. I know it hasn't been repaved in at least 40 years and I'm guessing it never has. Just keep filling the potholes.

I've had no issues with the future shock but as I said earlier, the bike has about 2k miles on it so not a lot of history. It probably does get more use than it would for most people though.
Old 08-27-20, 01:08 PM
City Guy

Hi

thanks for update
i called that ride Tour de ROUGH Roads
going to test ride the Roubaix this weekend
Old 08-27-20, 01:48 PM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
I love my 2019 Roubaix Expert. Compared to my Focus Izalco on Fulcrum Aluminum wheels mounted with 25mm tires, my Roubaix - with Future Shock (no damping adjust) and 28mm tires on Roval C38 carbon rims, feels like I'm riding on clouds instead of the crappy southern PA pavement and chipseal. So comfortable, and still plenty fast.

A test ride should seal the deal, it did for me.
Old 08-27-20, 04:59 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
I'm on my fourth year with my 2017 Roubaix, which has FS v1. No problems, no issues, most of the time it's invisible. The bike is excellent.
Old 08-27-20, 09:06 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by City Guy
Greetings,

I'm considering purchasing a Specialized Roubaix Expert with Future Shock 2.0. Anyone here have one who would like to share experiences, opinions, reliability of Future Shock, Specialized warranty experiences, and if you feel the Future Shock is useful.
My use would be exclusively road riding, centuries/gran fondos. and general group road rides.

Thanks in advance...
Have a 2020 Roubaix Comp (Sagan) with a 1.5 and have been super happy with it. Wouldn't mind having the 2.0, to essentially lock out while on climbs and smooth roads, but other than that I can't complain. Love the paint on my Sagan version.