Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Someone explain to me the no-gloves trend that I keep seeing

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Someone explain to me the no-gloves trend that I keep seeing

Old 09-23-20, 05:57 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla

It's how you separate Hard Men from Cupcakes.

Me? I am Team Cupcake.
​​​​​​
I know you know there is a Team Cupcake.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 09-23-20, 05:59 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by big john
Maybe, but who's putting enough pressure on their hands to get blisters? Maybe a fixed gear rider who is honking on the bars while climbing?
When you start riding, it's quite easy.
Old 09-23-20, 10:13 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by kimconyc
What's up with the no-gloves trend that I keep seeing? I think I started this trend over a decade ago being a minimalist.
I had no idea your influence reached back to 1985.

I go tired of telling people, "No, I don't golf." because of the obvious tan lines.

It was always no gloves for training unless there was rain, big descents, or a group with riders I didn't know.

Always raced with gloves.

Likes For Bob Dopolina:
Old 09-23-20, 10:26 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Gloves aren't aero.

/thread
Old 09-24-20, 06:23 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Mechanics gloves with polyurethane-coated palms are designed to improve grip, surprisingly comfortable, provide some protection in a fall, and come at a nearly disposable price. I have used them for cool mornings and rain.

https://eastcoastglove.com/shop/blac...lm-item-pu-40/
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 09-24-20, 07:29 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
​​​​​​
I know you know there is a Team Cupcake.
I have given up on all delusions of toughness. I accidentally bit my tongue yesterday and the damn thing was bleeding for 2 hours, and my wife - who is 8" and 80lb smaller than me - was talking smack to me the entire time.

Yeah, time to embrace the Inner Wuss.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 09-24-20, 07:42 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
I have given up on all delusions of toughness. I accidentally bit my tongue yesterday and the damn thing was bleeding for 2 hours, and my wife - who is 8" and 80lb smaller than me - was talking smack to me the entire time.

...or up your seizure meds. Youwwwch!
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 09-24-20, 08:23 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
Trend? What trend? How did you come to this conclusion? What's your sample size? Any standard deviations? Please explain?
Likes For tagaproject6:
Old 09-24-20, 08:29 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I used to use those huge Oakleys. They come with a thick foam band that runs across the top of the frame. When climbing the foam would become soaked in sweat, and it held a lot. Once over the top and at descending speed the air pressure would squeeze the sweat out and I would get this rush of sweat flowing down the inside of the lens.
I had to peel the stupid foam thing off.

The last pair I had I accidentally left on top of my car.
Old 09-24-20, 08:32 AM
am0n

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I didn't know this was a thing. I guess I am too new to the sport. I bought a pair of gloves when I started, to keep my hands warm in the cold. Turns out even when it's cold, it makes my hands sweat and it's uncomfortable, so I stopped wearing them. Nothing about bravado, just comfort. I do suspect my hands will get more ripped up should I crash, though.

Seattle Forrest You mentioned glove liners. Are they just thinner/wick sweat away easier? Do they offer protection in the event of a crash? Finger or fingerless?

I will say the ones I bought had full fingers and padding. Didn't like the padding. Maybe if it was vented better I'd have liked the full finger.

Last edited by am0n; 09-24-20 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-24-20, 09:07 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
Gloves aren't aero.

/thread
I've heard that's everything.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 09-24-20, 03:29 PM
lesterburnham

Bikes: '18 Domane SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Both of my hands are permanently scarred from road rash I got when I was hit by a truck. I'm fairly certain had I worn gloves that day, the injuries to my hands would have been less severe. No broken bones but missing a lot of meat from my knuckles. Took a hell of a long time to heal. Only long lasting effect is, besides diminished strength, I can't clinch a fist. No more fisticuffs for my. Of all the "what if's" looking back at the day of the accident, the trivial glove thing is always in the back of my mind. It was the one thing I purposely left behind because I was running late.
Old 09-24-20, 03:47 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Cupcake Cartel ring any bells? Pro tri team?
Old 09-24-20, 05:08 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
I've ridden more miles than you have been alive.
That is so funny. Here I thought I had posted the stupidest thing ever, and I'm very late to the thread, but wow.

Fwiw, I used to ride with work gloves from harbor freight. Now I wear a special designer pair.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 09-24-20, 05:18 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by am0n
I didn't know this was a thing. I guess I am too new to the sport. I bought a pair of gloves when I started, to keep my hands warm in the cold. Turns out even when it's cold, it makes my hands sweat and it's uncomfortable, so I stopped wearing them. Nothing about bravado, just comfort. I do suspect my hands will get more ripped up should I crash, though.

Seattle Forrest You mentioned glove liners. Are they just thinner/wick sweat away easier? Do they offer protection in the event of a crash? Finger or fingerless?

I will say the ones I bought had full fingers and padding. Didn't like the padding. Maybe if it was vented better I'd have liked the full finger.
I use fingerless gloves with minimal padding unless it gets cold, then I use glove liners under the fingerless gloves for warmth. These are polypropylene or sometimes wool. The wool liners are warm down into the 40s easy and they do wick sweat. Some of the poly liners can be had cheap, like $10. You can also take them off and stash them easily if it warms up.
Old 09-24-20, 05:21 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by am0n

Just a thin, sweat wicking layer. Probably won't help too much in a crash, but I guess every little bit is better than nothing. I mostly use an older version of these. I don't have trouble not being able to hold onto the bars, but I only wear them when it's cold enough to need them.
Old 09-25-20, 12:01 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Cupcake Cartel ring any bells? Pro tri team?
Doh, had never heard of them till you posted this. Had to look it up.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 09-25-20, 01:06 PM
Chubby715

Bikes: Cervelo R5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 17 Posts
I always wear gloves year round. Not only for protection during a fall, but also for clearing off any small road debri like glass or asphalt that might get stuck on my tire during the ride. I slightly rub my gloved palm over the tire if something's stuck to the tread. You can't do that if you're gloveless and there's glass embedded on your tire.
Old 09-26-20, 07:57 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
No one uses gloves except in winter in my area.

There's often THAT guy though who wears them with no helmet on. Guess it's that same guy you see wearing socks and sandals.
Old 09-26-20, 08:49 AM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Occasionally I forget my gloves and quickly circle back to get them. For me they absorb some vibration which is for me their primary function, potential road rash and work as a tool to wipe away perspiration and other bodily fluids.
Old 09-26-20, 09:03 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Chubby715
I always wear gloves year round. Not only for protection during a fall, but also for clearing off any small road debri like glass or asphalt that might get stuck on my tire during the ride. I slightly rub my gloved palm over the tire if something's stuck to the tread. You can't do that if you're gloveless and there's glass embedded on your tire.
I wipe away stuff stuck on/in my tires with bare hands all the time. Despite reports to the contrary, I've never amputated a finger or contracted a flesh-eating infection.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-27-20, 06:20 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
I see so many posts that gloves are critical to protect your hands in a wreck. IME keeping your hands in (close to the body) when you wreck is the key to protecting the skin and bones in your hands (lessons I learned over years of snowboarding). For example, see the high speed wreck from the Tour, Hirschi isn't wearing gloves, keeps hands in until he slows. He gets back on and gets back racing. Clearly his hands weren't badly damaged wrecking without gloves.

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/tour...ashes-stage-18
Old 09-27-20, 01:47 PM
audiomagnate

Location: Omaha, the most bike unfriendly city in the Midwest!

Bikes: Cannondale Six 5, 89 Trek race bike

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
I've ridden more miles than you have been alive.
That makes no sense.
Old 09-28-20, 11:00 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I see so many posts that gloves are critical to protect your hands in a wreck. IME keeping your hands in (close to the body) when you wreck is the key to protecting the skin and bones in your hands (lessons I learned over years of snowboarding). For example, see the high speed wreck from the Tour, Hirschi isn't wearing gloves, keeps hands in until he slows. He gets back on and gets back racing. Clearly his hands weren't badly damaged wrecking without gloves.

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/tour...ashes-stage-18
Silly to wear seatbelt in cars too....as the wreck starts you should just get out of the car.

...or helmets. Just hold your head from hitting things then you don't need a helmet.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 09-28-20, 11:10 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Silly to wear seatbelt in cars too....as the wreck starts you should just get out of the car.

...or helmets. Just hold your head from hitting things then you don't need a helmet.
False equivalence - take a few minutes to read up.

If your only reason for wearing gloves is to protect the skin of your hand in a wreck, you should be riding in moto leathers to protect your body for that same road rash (or do you simply tip over at a stop too often?). And don't forget wrist protection, because if you put your hands out when you fall, the broken wrist is gonna be a much bigger issue than road rash.

Edit/adding: I don't care who wears them. I don't wear them for myself.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 09-28-20 at 11:31 AM.
Likes For Hypno Toad:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.