Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

700x40mm-50mm Gravel/Monstercross Tires?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-17, 09:02 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts

I'm looking for bigger tires for my monstercross bike, currently running either WTB Nanos or Kenda Happy Medium - both in 40mm width. Seems like there's a ton of options in the 700x40mm width but what do you guys like for bigger 40mm-50mm tires?

Right now all I'm really seeing are the WTB Riddler or the Bruce Gordon Rock n Road. Anyone have another tire closer to 50mm that they like?
Old 05-08-17, 09:05 AM
FrontRanger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Terrene Honali (700x50) is technically a touring tire, but it works well on dirt and gravel, IME.
Old 05-08-17, 10:31 AM
biggus duckus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just went through this song and dance myself, and ended up with Soma Cazaderos in 42mm (actual width 43mm on my 20.5mm internal width rims). I was also checking out the Terrene Elwood and Gravel King SK. Ultimately the constant center tread and the gumwalls of the Cazaderos won me over.

They work great tubeless as well.
Old 05-08-17, 10:58 AM
Spoonrobot 

Thanks for the input so far, I'm looking at the Cazaderos now - how do you like them on the road?

I like to ride my monstercross bike about 25% road and 75% singletrack per ride so I'd like something that's not too terrible on the road. The happy mediums are great on the road but a little small and the nanos are poor on the road.
Old 05-08-17, 01:50 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
I'm looking for bigger tires for my monstercross bike, currently running either WTB Nanos or Kenda Happy Medium - both in 40mm width. Seems like there's a ton of options in the 700x40mm width but what do you guys like for bigger 40mm-50mm tires?

Right now all I'm really seeing are the WTB Riddler or the Bruce Gordon Rock n Road. Anyone have another tire closer to 50mm that they like?
Not personally using them myself yet, but am using other width of Compass tires. They do offer the Snoqualmie Pass in 700x42 though in my experience with Compass tires, they tend to run a couple mm wider, so more likely to find them at 44mm. They are stupid lite at 378 grams for the standard casing, or 329 for the extra lite. I run their 700x35 (measures 37) on a gravel bike in the extra lite casing..very nice.
Old 05-08-17, 01:54 PM
Spoonrobot 

Thanks for the response, I've been using Compass tires on the road and although I found them undersized they ride very well. What width rims are you using?

I didn't like them on singletrack so I'd like to stay with a tires that feature tread for now. They are great on gravel.

Although hmm there is the Steilacoom that has knobs.
Old 05-08-17, 02:04 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Clement Xplor MSO 120tpi version. Comes in 40mm and 50mm.

I have the 40s- they feel great on the road, I am confident on dirt and multiple types of gravel, and I think they are pretty light. No flats to speak of yet.
Old 05-18-17, 05:20 PM
cellery

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts
I just picked up a set of Specialized Sawtooth 700x42c in the gumwall colorway (because gumwall). They also make it in 650b x 47c. It's an interesting design. I've found that for most of the dry desert road and canal surfaces I'm on, mtb XC tread or even CX tread is overkill and really just slowing me down when trying to do gravel road rides. Despite the lack of external knobs, the sawtooth side tread combined with solid center tread hooks onto loose surfaces but sacrifices little in the rolling resistance dept; feels like a road or touring tire almost. I must say I am impressed. Easy tubeless setup as well, PSI in the low 30s.
Old 05-18-17, 07:46 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by cellery
I just picked up a set of Specialized Sawtooth 700x42c in the gumwall colorway (because gumwall). They also make it in 650b x 47c. It's an interesting design. I've found that for most of the dry desert road and canal surfaces I'm on, mtb XC tread or even CX tread is overkill and really just slowing me down when trying to do gravel road rides. Despite the lack of external knobs, the sawtooth side tread combined with solid center tread hooks onto loose surfaces but sacrifices little in the rolling resistance dept; feels like a road or touring tire almost. I must say I am impressed. Easy tubeless setup as well, PSI in the low 30s.
That weight tho!
Old 05-19-17, 08:29 AM
cellery

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
That weight tho!
Yeah I get it. I'm riding an AWOL, if that says anything about my lack of consideration for extra rotating weight, lol.
Old 05-19-17, 08:52 AM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
I put Spec Trigger Sport 47c on my AWOL.

Very happy with them, but I've never tried any other "gravel" tire for comparison.
Old 05-20-17, 02:47 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 987 Times in 519 Posts
I use Schwalbe Big apples, 50x700c.great tires, some wet mud traction issues.
Old 05-20-17, 06:22 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
700x45 WTB Riddler

Size: 700x45 measures 44.5mm on a Velocity Dyad rim

Tread pattern: small, short knobs at the center with deeper knobs on the shoulder for traction and float.

Construction: unknown tpi, unknown flat protection, I'm using tubes.

Performance on pavement is moderately fast with moderately low rolling resistance. Cornering on wet pavement could be problematic with the knobs on the shoulder potentially sliding on sharp turns

Performance on firm and smooth gravel is excellent, the tire rolls fast with enormous traction

Performance on deep or soft gravel is excellent with plenty of float and stability. The tire is secure on off-camber surfaces even while cornering. Heroic 35mph turns on loose gravel roads felt as safe as a good 29er tire

Durability in unknown but the tire is robust

Ride is moderately supple but is not as plush as the 120 tpi Clement tires.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 05-20-17, 03:43 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Good review and I agree.

@op Don't count out Rock n' Roads either....

I use those on my Black Mountain Monstercross, along with Soma Vitesse SLs in the 700x42 size.

The RnR gets me through tougher, ungraded gravel and even some singletrack on the local trails.

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
700x45 WTB Riddler

Size: 700x45 measures 44.5mm on a Velocity Dyad rim

Tread pattern: small, short knobs at the center with deeper knobs on the shoulder for traction and float.

Construction: unknown tpi, unknown flat protection, I'm using tubes.

Performance on pavement is moderately fast with moderately low rolling resistance. Cornering on wet pavement could be problematic with the knobs on the shoulder potentially sliding on sharp turns

Performance on firm and smooth gravel is excellent, the tire rolls fast with enormous traction

Performance on deep or soft gravel is excellent with plenty of float and stability. The tire is secure on off-camber surfaces even while cornering. Heroic 35mph turns on loose gravel roads felt as safe as a good 29er tire

Durability in unknown but the tire is robust

Ride is moderately supple but is not as plush as the 120 tpi Clement tires.