Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2014 Domane compared to a 2020.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

2014 Domane compared to a 2020.

Old 09-25-20, 09:27 AM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by GAtkins
Pix of the 2021 SLR7 P1 or it doesn't exist!

Glenn
It happens every time I ride..........viper red, of course.......

Old 09-25-20, 09:51 AM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by wthensler
It happens every time I ride..........viper red, of course.......

Awesome!

Glenn
Old 09-25-20, 07:59 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
Someone at my local Trek store had their 2021 SLR7 in Viper Red come in last week and I was drooling. That was the same day I was told my delivery range got pushed back to March, from Dec\Jan.......

Old 09-26-20, 03:33 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Someone at my local Trek store had their 2021 SLR7 in Viper Red come in last week and I was drooling. That was the same day I was told my delivery range got pushed back to March, from Dec\Jan.......
Initially I was going with matte black, but changed to Viper Red on the fly after seeing it at the dealer. It was a $500 adder, but the LBS saved me the cost by me agreeing to put the Trek Segafredo logo on the side.

I really like that about the P1 concept. This is my second P1 build, and Trek will do just about anything you ask, for a fee, of course.

My wait was not too bad, about 6-8 weeks, but the LBS informed me at time of pickup that deliveries are now pushed way back, in many cases a year out! I wish you a quick delivery and can only say you really have something to look forward to. It is well worth the wait! And I drool all over it every time I’m out, as recent as an hour ago!
Old 09-26-20, 05:53 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Initially I was going with matte black, but changed to Viper Red on the fly after seeing it at the dealer. It was a $500 adder, but the LBS saved me the cost by me agreeing to put the Trek Segafredo logo on the side.

I really like that about the P1 concept. This is my second P1 build, and Trek will do just about anything you ask, for a fee, of course.

My wait was not too bad, about 6-8 weeks, but the LBS informed me at time of pickup that deliveries are now pushed way back, in many cases a year out! I wish you a quick delivery and can only say you really have something to look forward to. It is well worth the wait! And I drool all over it every time I’m out, as recent as an hour ago!
thanks, yea, really looking forward to it. I really thought about going the P1 route, but the time, the delivery dates between the two were not that far about, maybe 2 or 3 weeks, and I could not justify the cost difference. I might be able to justify it now .

Old 09-26-20, 05:58 PM
wthensler 

thanks, yea, really looking forward to it. I really thought about going the P1 route, but the time, the delivery dates between the two were not that far about, maybe 2 or 3 weeks, and I could not justify the cost difference. I might be able to justify it now .
I went with it primarily for the Di2 option, but it opens up a whole box of other options and colors, many of which I availed myself of this time around. Something special about specifying your road warrior, and we ain’t getting any younger.

Good luck on the delivery - again it’s worth the wait!
Old 09-26-20, 06:01 PM
jaxgtr

Same here, I wanted the Di2 and I have the Viper Red on my Emonda and love it. This go round, my old back decided I needed something a little more relaxed for the longer rides.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 09-26-20, 06:08 PM
wthensler 

Same here, I wanted the Di2 and I have the Viper Red on my Emonda and love it. This go round, my old back decided I needed something a little more relaxed for the longer rides.
You will love the generous stack, the low bottom bracket and the loooong wheelbase of the Domane. A very stable bike.

Of all my endurance bikes, past and present, this one has the best frame dimensions for me, bar none. Thus a repeat performance!
Old 09-26-20, 07:11 PM
jaxgtr

that sounds good, I even went with a smaller size. One of the mechanics had a 2020 version in a 52 and it felt really good took it for a 30 mile ride to make sure. I generally ride a 54 so the thought of going smaller frame was foreign, but damn did it ride nice. I also loved the 32 tire size too....just a sweet ride.

Old 09-27-20, 01:12 PM
jaxgtr

My wait was not too bad, about 6-8 weeks, but the LBS informed me at time of pickup that deliveries are now pushed way back, in many cases a year out!
So went by the shop today after I was chatting with my wife about this subject today and she thought waiting for 6 month seem odd if you can get the P1 in 6 weeks. So when I asked to see what was showing my delivery time today, they said it has been pushed back to middle to end of March now. So I will be going by there tomorrow to talk to the owner to discuss cancelling and going the P1 route. In the end, the cost, while higher, is not that much more when you factor in the changes I was going to do anyway and I can get the Viper Red I wanted.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 09-27-20, 04:27 PM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
So went by the shop today after I was chatting with my wife about this subject today and she thought waiting for 6 month seem odd if you can get the P1 in 6 weeks. So when I asked to see what was showing my delivery time today, they said it has been pushed back to middle to end of March now. So I will be going by there tomorrow to talk to the owner to discuss cancelling and going the P1 route. In the end, the cost, while higher, is not that much more when you factor in the changes I was going to do anyway and I can get the Viper Red I wanted.
Note also that one option available for your P1 order is the frame geometry itself. There is a ProEndurance geometry which is lower and longer (per my photo above in this thread). I went P1 specifically for this reason - the geometry is only available as a P1. Definitely more aggressive than the Off-the-Rack model, but gives me something closer to the Madone I always wanted.
Old 09-27-20, 06:38 PM
wthensler 

Originally Posted by SkepticalOne
Note also that one option available for your P1 order is the frame geometry itself. There is a ProEndurance geometry which is lower and longer (per my photo above in this thread). I went P1 specifically for this reason - the geometry is only available as a P1. Definitely more aggressive than the Off-the-Rack model, but gives me something closer to the Madone I always wanted.
Yes, I saw this. The regular Domane is in a class of its own with regard to reach to stack ratio. It is a true endurance bike. I believe Specialized is close, but as you move into the Giant Defy, then into the Italian bikes ( like the Bianchi Infinito), you really start to migrate into the race geometry. This includes a shorter wheelbase.
Old 09-27-20, 08:51 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by SkepticalOne
Yep, also noticed this... I am going to stay with the more relaxed of the two. My race geometry days are over

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 09-28-20, 11:31 AM
drewtk

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
I test fitted 42mm gravel tires on my wife's 2020 Domane SL5 and they fit, but it's a mechanical 105 bike. I didn't even think about the Di2 front derailleur causing an issue.
Old 09-28-20, 05:42 PM
jaxgtr

My wait was not too bad, about 6-8 weeks, ...
So went to the shop today....Cancelled the SL 7 and ordered my SLR 7 in Viper Red. I should have it in my grubby little hands in 10 -14 days. I wanted a 11-30 cassette, but between that and them being out of 32 R3's, it would have delayed the start for 75-80 days. So, we went back to the 11-34 and changed to the GR1 in 35 just to see what would happen and it drop the lead time to 3 days. I will pick up some 32's later. whoop, whoop. Ordered.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 09-28-20, 06:15 PM
wthensler 

So went to the shop today....Cancelled the SL 7 and ordered my SLR 7 in Viper Red. I should have it in my grubby little hands in 10 -14 days. I wanted a 11-30 cassette, but between that and them being out of 32 R3's, it would have delayed the start for 75-80 days. So, we went back to the 11-34 and changed to the GR1 in 35 just to see what would happen and it drop the lead time to 3 days. I will pick up some 32's later. whoop, whoop. Ordered.
First off, a big congrats is in order! I somehow feel a bit guilty that I may have goaded you into the upgrade, LOL! I can assure you that once you get it, you will forget all about the extra $$$. And you will soon be riding the bike of your dreams instead of waiting for something whose delivery is uncertain.

I went with the same 58cm frame size, Di2 setup and 175 cranks as my previous Domane. The 11-34 works just fine - by the time I run out of gears (which doesn’t happen often), I’m going fast enough! You will love the clean look of the new design.

And finally, a pic from today, a 58 mile ride. This bike is a true machine!

Old 09-28-20, 06:17 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 182 Posts
So went to the shop today....Cancelled the SL 7 and ordered my SLR 7 in Viper Red. I should have it in my grubby little hands in 10 -14 days.
Ah... you live in FL. For those of us in the north, there'd be no point in ordering and getting a bike right now as once daylight savings time hits, it's all darkness and cold for the next 6 months I think the P1 bikes are still made in Waterloo, WI (about an hour from me) which is probably why the lead time is so short.
Old 09-28-20, 07:23 PM
jaxgtr

First off, a big congrats is in order! I somehow feel a bit guilty that I may have goaded you into the upgrade, LOL! I can assure you that once you get it, you will forget all about the extra $$$. And you will soon be riding the bike of your dreams instead of waiting for something whose delivery is uncertain.

I went with the same 58cm frame size, Di2 setup and 175 cranks as my previous Domane. The 11-34 works just fine - by the time I run out of gears (which doesn’t happen often), I’m going fast enough! You will love the clean look of the new design.

And finally, a pic from today, a 58 mile ride. This bike is a true machine!
LOL...nope, it was my wife actually. I spent the last 9 months working on projects for her after the last kid left the house.....see ya. . I turned that bedroom in her craft room and did a lot of customizing to make it work. I hate drywall dust. I was moving right along, then Covid put the breaks on. I played hell trying to get stuff to finish this room off. I had flooring I ordered for all of the bedrooms I received in early Jan, sucking up space in my garage because I could not get the furniture for almost 2 months and we had all her craft stuff in boxes all of the place. So in the interim, she asked me to build her a couple of raised plant beds that turned into 2 20 ft foot long 18" high behemoths. Of course I took it to the next level and wrapped the things in cedar and spent way too much money, but they look good.
I think she felt guilt, she said I spent all year on her stuff, so I deserve to get what I want, so go buy it. She is a keeper... here's to another 31 years .

Oh hey, did not pick up that you are in Gainesville. Been a while since I have ridden down there....That is a nice ride.

Old 09-28-20, 07:32 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
Ah... you live in FL. For those of us in the north, there'd be no point in ordering and getting a bike right now as once daylight savings time hits, it's all darkness and cold for the next 6 months I think the P1 bikes are still made in Waterloo, WI (about an hour from me) which is probably why the lead time is so short.
Yep, 365 days of riding and during the worse of the summer heat, I do a lot of night riding. I used to go to work at 2 am and would commute as long as the summer storms were not going to be too bad in the afternoon. I am allergic to lightning .
Yea the P1 is still made in Waterloo.

Old 10-08-20, 09:32 PM
jaxgtr

Got my bike today, setting up the di2 settings and what not, will take it out tomorrow for a shakedown ride, hopefully the rain will hold off until later.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 10-09-20, 07:06 PM
wthensler 

Congrats! Hey, that looks like mine, or at least it used to.....before I got some white decals for the wheels......

Old 10-09-20, 11:10 PM
jaxgtr

lol...yep. Damn smooth ride. I was able to get about 10 miles in before the clouds were ready to unload. My first di2 bike, and I set it up to run the syncho shifting....pretty cool stuff. I also setup the top buttons to control the rear mech. The only thing I really need to get used to is the loudness of the rear hub, holy hell is that thing loud. About half way through the ride, I was thinking I might need to pull some of the pawls out.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 10-11-20, 06:30 PM
wthensler 

lol...yep. Damn smooth ride. I was able to get about 10 miles in before the clouds were ready to unload. My first di2 bike, and I set it up to run the syncho shifting....pretty cool stuff. I also setup the top buttons to control the rear mech. The only thing I really need to get used to is the loudness of the rear hub, holy hell is that thing loud. About half way through the ride, I was thinking I might need to pull some of the pawls out.
LOL! dang that rear hub is loud and everyone will hear you coming. I don’t find the top buttons useful and didn’t set up the sync. shifting, but love the Di2. Just wait till you find out it’s only a 20 speed, LOL! Happy trails, now go put some miles on her!
Old 10-11-20, 08:15 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 182 Posts
I agree that I don't like how loud Bontrager's freehubs are (I think they're built by DT Swiss). On my last ride with two other guys on a gravel trail, I literally came back with a hoarse voice because I had to talk so loud to overcome the noise of the gravel and my freewheel. The other two riders were pretty slow so I was coasting a lot.

Do you have a cycle computer that can communicate with your new Di2 (requires wireless module)? I use the top shifter buttons to swipe screens on my Garmin 830.
Old 10-11-20, 08:32 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
I agree that I don't like how loud Bontrager's freehubs are (I think they're built by DT Swiss). On my last ride with two other guys on a gravel trail, I literally came back with a hoarse voice because I had to talk so loud to overcome the noise of the gravel and my freewheel. The other two riders were pretty slow so I was coasting a lot.

Do you have a cycle computer that can communicate with your new Di2 (requires wireless module)? I use the top shifter buttons to swipe screens on my Garmin 830.
Yea I have the Wahoo Roam and have it connected. I checked it out to swipe the screens, but I usually dont move between screens too much at the moment so I moved my top buttons to change the reach mech.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.