Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Folding bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-12, 09:38 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Folding bikes?

I am a Clyde and was looking at some folding bikes. Do you use one and do you have any problems?
Old 11-04-12, 05:37 AM
pinsonp2 

Bikes: 2008 Trek 2.1 WSD, 2010 Specialized Amira Elite, 2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I have a Dahon Vector X27 that I like alot. A couple of things you need to consider: 1) weight limitations, although Bike Friday has options for heavier riders, like > 235; 2) they never fold as small as you think they will and are usually a bugger to get into a bag and they are heavier than you might think.

P2
Old 11-04-12, 08:12 AM
Ali_Pine

Location: Pennsylvania and Colorado - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor... Retired now Ski Bum... My Ride - Montague - Paratrooper

Bikes: Montague - Paratrooper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm happy with my Montaque. Been with me over six years riding dirt, gravel, pavement, Etc. So far only maintenance has been replacing cables, brake pads, and tires. Too big and heavy for most riders. Fits in the back of my car without problem. Don't think I'll try a 'small' folder.

(I'm a smaller clyde.)
Old 11-04-12, 10:45 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ali_Pine
I'm happy with my Montaque. Been with me over six years riding dirt, gravel, pavement, Etc. So far only maintenance has been replacing cables, brake pads, and tires. Too big and heavy for most riders. Fits in the back of my car without problem. Don't think I'll try a 'small' folder.

(I'm a smaller clyde.)
I have a Greenzone folding bike that's rated to 250 lbs. I don't really recommend it, however. Depending on your weight and height, there are several folders that might work for you.

Ali brings up a good point. When you say folder, I think of 20" bikes. But there are 26" bikes that are folders as well that might work better.

20" folding bikes usually feel quite a bit different (more twitchy) than larger bikes. Good 20" folders can feel almost as "normal" as a big bike. I've never ridden one, but I imagine that 26" folder would feel much more like a regular bike than a 20" folder of the same quality.

Cheers,
Charles
Old 11-04-12, 11:44 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I was looking for one that I could take on airplanes when I travel. So I had been thinking about 20" wheels. I see that the Dahons that I have looked at are rated for 230 lbs but was looking for an opinion on folders in general, I was also looking at the Novara Flyby, I liked the 7 speed igh.
Old 11-04-12, 05:52 PM
Rvl

Bikes: MiniVelo,Giant Touring,Zeus Road,80's Mountain

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a folding but I use a mini velo
I have never tried flying with it
The one thing I dont like about folding bikes is they are quite heavy and the handlebar stem feels flimsy
Soma makes a mini velo
https://www.somafab.com/archives/product/mini-velo

Originally Posted by cyclist2000
I was looking for one that I could take on airplanes when I travel. So I had been thinking about 20" wheels. I see that the Dahons that I have looked at are rated for 230 lbs but was looking for an opinion on folders in general, I was also looking at the Novara Flyby, I liked the 7 speed igh.
Old 11-04-12, 08:23 PM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
I have a Brompton that I am very happy with. (I'm ~225, it's rated to 240.) 16 inch wheels, and a fairly upright position -- it's not a fast bike, but it is comfortable. The handlebar stem is a little springy, especially since I have the butterfly bars, but it's not a big deal. Folded size was important to me, as I use it on a multi-modal commute; weight was less so as long as I could lift it.
Old 11-04-12, 09:10 PM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Bromptons are pretty tough and are acknowledged as pretty much the most compact folding bike there is. Not cheap, but worth every penny. Bromptons also have a unique bag system that is very versatile. They are also rated to about 240 lbs. - maybe 250 lbs. - like the last poster indicated. I clock in at about 205 lbs. I'm pretty active so it's a fairly athletic 205 lbs, but weight is weight, and so is something you do need to pay some attention to it. Not all folding bikes are created equal.

Fast is relative - I can't get up to the same speed as my road bike, but with the gearing options they offer, you can really cruise: pass your friends on regular bikes - it's hilarious! I've packed up my Brompton into a regulation rated case and weight and checked it for flying with no problems.

I'm sure all folding bikes have a safety margin, but additional weight that is accelerating up and down produces additional stresses on the frame, etc. Also, you have to factor in additional load from any bags, etc. you might be carrying.
Old 11-05-12, 06:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
I used to commute on a Bike Friday New World Tourist. Good bike, but the fold is nowhere as easy as a Brompton. BF sells a suitcase designed for their bikes that can double as a trailer. When I was touring out west I rode for a weak with a couple on a BF tandem. Their trailer was the two suitcases that the bikes fit into. BF also makes more road-type models. And they are made in U.S.A.