Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

6th Annual 50 plus ride. An official Poll, I hope!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: Which Rides would you consider attending?
Boston-MassBike Tour (July, last weekend)
35.71%
Katy Trail Social (July 18-20)
23.81%
Denver Rio Grande (Sept)
28.57%
Las Vegas Gran Fondo (Sept, 2nd week)
19.05%
California Sonoma (Sept)
35.71%
Michigan Leelanau Wine Fest (Sept 14)
19.05%
Tucson (November)
28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-14, 05:07 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
We will be there for the metric, probably arriving in N Acton around 8:30 or earlier.
Old 07-26-14, 06:50 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Ride report (also posted elsewhere):
Our day started great by meeting rtool (left) who had come in from Ohio IIRC and MetroBostonian JFB (center) for the metric portion of the Massbike Summer Century.

It was great meeting them though I had no real chance to exchange any more than a few words with rtool, my loss. His machine was quite interesting, a highly evolved recumbent trike, even with a brake light, I believe. Once we started it became apparent that a tandem and a recumbent are not compatible. A tandem just flies downhill, and we needed to maintain as much speed as possible to climb the next uphill. So we would get separated quickly. Eventually Sharon and I decided we'd keep going, then stop at key points for water and munchies to let us regroup. I had programmed the route into my GPS so we could zip through the various turns with confidence.

Then two misfortunes occurred almost simultaneously. They missed a turn southward in Concord Center, which put them quite a way behind. And as we were climbing the Sudbury River valley up to Verrill Farm our RD broke. Blankety-blank Vintage French equipment! We made it to V.F. and lo! there was a sag wagon waiting patiently. I borrowed a few tools and attempted a field repair, but he didn't have an open-end 14mm wrench.

We finally decided we couldn't continue so the sag wagon took me back to my car. As we were driving away I noticed JFB and rt climbing up the valley but that was the last we saw of them. At least we made phone contact so we could explain our situation. (I do wish we could have partaken of the post-ride beer from Harpoon and sandwiches from Redbone's BBQ. )

I picked up Sharon and the stricken bike and we went home where I had another Simplex RD stashed away for just such an occasion. After a quick lunch I did quick RD swap!

Sharon and I then drove out to Bedford and started riding again, finishing the day with 45.35 miles. Not bad, in fact a great afternoon of riding, but not what we'd expected. We topped off the day by stopping at our favorite organic farm stand. Instead of Redbone's for dinner we had our own, and my choice of Harpoon's was their Leviathan IPA, not for the fainthearted I should mention.

Our afternoon ride was great fun. The opening ride was a different experience for us. We don't usually ride with groups. There were other cyclist out too seemingly unaware that other bikes (and cars) populated their roads too. One large group was stopped blocking half of Main St in Concord. Earlier on one rider had slowed significantly in front of us as we approached a slight uphill with cars approaching from the rear so we couldn't pass. Hey c'mon guy, don't make us hit the brakes and lose all our momentum here! We passed him eventually, and then half a mile later he hammered past us. Oh well, it was still great fun. The Massbike people were great! JFB and rt were great. Our paths just took a different direction.

Addendum: I don't mean to be negative on the ride, the riders, or the day. It's just that a tandem is a different beast from a solo bike. It can neither stop, accelerate, nor maneuver as easily. Acceleration requires more energy. If someone slows in front of your solo bike you just slow also, and maybe go around if possible. On a tandem you can slow, but golly, you hate to do that and then have to push to get back up to speed. Especially on a planned longer ride you just know you're going to want that energy later in the day! A tandem needs more space and road distance to pass someone else safely. And since the stoker can't see the road surface, it is essential that the captain either miss all the big bumps (hard to do!) or see them far enough in advance to give the stoker enough warning time to react. When you get right down to it, a tandem isn't compatible with anything else! I suppose that's why we always feel more comfortable riding by ourselves.

JFB, how did you guys get on with the rest of the ride? You survived the run up to Harvard okay, I hope? And the run down?? It looks like it would have tested our brakes!

Last edited by jimmuller; 07-27-14 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-28-14, 05:08 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I wish I had been able to make it!

Marc
Old 07-28-14, 06:03 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Ride report (also posted elsewhere):
Our day started great by meeting rtool (left) who had come in from Ohio IIRC and MetroBostonian JFB (center) for the metric portion of the Massbike Summer Century...

JFB, how did you guys get on with the rest of the ride? You survived the run up to Harvard okay, I hope? And the run down?? It looks like it would have tested our brakes!
This perfunctory note is to duly record the completion of the Boston venue of the Sixth Bikeforums Fifty-Plus Annual Ride attended by rtool, jimmuller and his wife Sharon, and promoted by Jim from Boston on the weekend of July 25-27, 2014 in Boston and Acton, MA in conjunction with the MassBike Summer Century & Family Event.

As soon as I get a chance I’ll post a detailed description of the weekend on the thread, “Metro Boston: Good ride today?” since there is a lot of local details, and then to ”A Chronicle of the 50+ Annual Rides.”
Old 07-31-14, 03:54 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...As soon as I get a chance I’ll post a detailed description of the weekend on the thread, “Metro Boston: Good ride today?” since there is a lot of local details, and then to ”A Chronicle of the 50+ Annual Rides.”
My Ride Description for the Boston venue of the Sixth Annual Fifty-Plus Ride is now posted, with some following replies. I would hope to recommend this Ride and Weekend next year.

I'll keep looking for any other Rides this year, as proposed above at the top of the page, to add to this thread and the Chronicle. Of note, Dnvr Fox has made a proposal for a 7th Annual Ride for next year.

PS: See rtool's ride description, next post.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-16-14 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Added PS
Old 08-08-14, 03:52 PM
rtool

Bikes: 2014 ICE Spring FSX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Spent a great weekend with Jim (Jimfromboston). Arrived Friday afternoon and we took off for a ride around the city. Rode to Harvard University following a local MUP, and then took an on-street ride to see the USS Constitution. Great ride with plenty to see. Saturday we rode MASSBIKE an organized family cycling event. Jim Muller and wife (Sharon) rode along with us for a ways then we got separated due to my being slower on a trike than them on a tandem. Jim and I got lost a couple times due to some of the road markings/signage, but we managed ok. Got to about 27 miles and I started having leg cramps. Stopped and bought some Tums for the calcium, which helped some, but I really felt sluggish. Jim mapped out a shortcut back to the start which cut out most of the hills towards the end of the scheduled 62 miles. Food at the end was fantastic, some of the best BBQ I have ever had. Had a great talk with the Mass Bike Ride director and his wife after lunch, really nice hard working people. Excellent ride had a real great time.
Sunday I took off on my own to ride the Minute Man Trail. Weather was great going to Lexington and Bedford, but it rained fairly heavy on my way back. Minuteman Trail is really nice and wide with plenty to see along the way.
Jim took me on walking tours of Boston each evening and it was great having someone telling me all about Boston. Last time I was in Boston was in 1960. Seen many sites I had totally forgotten about. Jim is quite the tour leader. Very knowledgeable about Boston and passed on lots of it’s history. We also ate extremely well. Everything from fresh fish to Italian, and ending Sunday evening at a Thai restaurant. All-in-all it was a great weekend, missed not having other 50+rs there, maybe next time.