Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What Cycling Events do you have in mind for 2015?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What Cycling Events do you have in mind for 2015?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-15, 09:04 AM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I, unfortunately, have to drop Camino Real from my list of rides for 2015. I have to return to Indiana that weekend for a memorial service for an aunt.

so, the revised list will be:
Spring Solvang DC
Hemet DC
Davis DC
Grand Tour DC
Fall Solvang DC

Desert Classic century in May
Bull Shifter Heart of Arizona century in Nov
Old 01-20-15, 02:08 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts
My list
  • Knighthood of Sufferlandria Quest 1-17 done
  • Tour of Sufferlandria
  • Chilly Hilly
  • Spokane,WA Tour de Cure
  • A couple of road races, Mason Lake,WA
  • One day STP
  • Ellensburg Fondo
  • as many CX races as I can afford
Old 01-20-15, 02:23 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I'm participating in Cycle for Survival which is a fund raiser for Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center this February 8th. This is my 4th year and last year our team raised $20,000.

if you care to donate, no amount is too small... or too big.

Cycle for Survival: Long Island: Glenn Ring - Cycle for Survival
Old 01-20-15, 04:15 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Ironman 70.3 Florida in April.
130 + 2 miles for 65th birthday ride in July.
100 miler 2 weeks later as a memorial ride for buddy hit/killed by 18 wheeler in Georgia.
Great Floridian 140.6 triathlon in October if lottery doesn't come through for Kona.
Challenge Florida 70.3 in November
Old 01-21-15, 10:08 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
One thing I'll have to remember if I do Horsey this year - or any year I guess.

The first time or two I did it, they had lunch somewhere out on the route. Now they don't do that, they have a lunch back at the college. I can't do a century ride on peanuts and raisins, and of course they don't go through many towns; so I'll have to remember to pack nutrition on the bike.
Old 01-21-15, 10:58 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,985 Times in 569 Posts
Oh, I forgot one thing on my list. The daughter unit has signed up to do a Tour de Cure metric century. Wheee!

Old 01-21-15, 12:33 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
The only ride that I really plan on is the Pedal for Paws. It is a benefit ride for the local humane society. As mentioned by a couple of others, I would like to do my b-day ride as well. Any others will be dependent on mood and legs.
Old 01-21-15, 12:40 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
so far I'm signed up for Bike New Yorks's 5 Boro tour, an easy ride but insane crowds. And, the NJ gran Fondo, one of Bicycling magazines 50 great rides. A good course, and great ride.
Old 01-21-15, 01:26 PM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like so far One Hell Of A Ride, Irwins gravel grinder, And somewhere in the middle of Pennsylvania. Shaping up nicely.
Old 01-22-15, 06:06 AM
jwalther

Bikes: Litespeed T3, Felt Breed 30, Co-Motion Supremo Tandem

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
One thing I'll have to remember if I do Horsey this year - or any year I guess.

The first time or two I did it, they had lunch somewhere out on the route. Now they don't do that, they have a lunch back at the college. I can't do a century ride on peanuts and raisins, and of course they don't go through many towns; so I'll have to remember to pack nutrition on the bike.
I'm helping to organize the stops this year. There will be five on the century route, all with plenty of food and hydration options. No real need to pack your own unless you have special dietary needs.
Old 01-22-15, 05:42 PM
jhazel

Bikes: Trek Madone4.5, Fuji Newest, DaVinci Joint Venture, Pacific Dually, Kuota K Factor Thruster

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After I did the MS Bike to Jack and Back out of Nashville last year I swore off long rides. So now I'm signed up for the MS 150 Dallas to Fort Worth and am about to agree to the Best Dam Ride out of Logan Utah. I will also be doing some version of the San Diego Century ride. It was my first century but now I've got the grandkids and son-in-law riding with me so we do one of the shorter routes.
Old 01-27-15, 10:28 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Now thinking of adding Davis DC to Solvang & Marin (DCs), for the Calif triple crown.
Old 01-27-15, 02:35 PM
spoiledrotten

Bikes: 2015 Scott Speedster XL Frame, 2014 Diamondback hybrid, and a 20" Schwinn Unicycle (does that count?)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm planning on the Natchez Trace Century Ride on May 2, so far.

Also planning on the Blues, Bayous, and Bikes Century Ride on August 1.

Last edited by spoiledrotten; 01-29-15 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-28-15, 09:43 AM
fishboy316

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Cannondale AL1 Lefty MTB, Trek X01, Trek Farley 7,1951 Raleigh Sport, 57&60 Raleigh Tourist, 70 Raleigh Super Course, 80's Soma Prestiege,72 Raleigh Grand Sports, 85 Club Fuji, 76 Raleigh Competition, 85 Panasonic,70's Peugot u08. & more

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Just took off Oct 8,9,12 for the Over 50 ride at Rayston lake in PA. Sounds like fun! really like that can ride both MTB and road. Look forward to meeting some BF folks!
Bill
Old 01-28-15, 10:01 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I don't ride many organized events any more and get about half my annual mileage from commuting. However, I have a few plans for the year:

- Riding the GAP/C&O Canal trails with several friends in May. We rode it last year and had such a great time that we've scheduled a sequel.
- Weekend trip along the Greenbrier Trail in WV, probably a training ride for the C&O trip.
- Hopefully riding with my brother in moraines region of Wisconsin for a week in mid-June, including both roads and rails-to-trails.
- Trying to organize a loaded tour of the Blue Ridge Parkway or NC Outer Banks loop in late summer or early fall.

My overall goal is to top 10,000 total miles in a year for the first time. I came very close in 2014 without really trying, and would have easily accomplished the feat if we hadn't had so much rain, which really cut into my commuting miles.
Old 01-28-15, 12:29 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
I don't ride many organized events any more and get about half my annual mileage from commuting. …

My overall goal is to top 10,000 total miles in a year for the first time. I came very close in 2014 without really trying, and would have easily accomplished the feat if we hadn't had so much rain, which really cut into my commuting miles.
Similarly,most of my miles are commuting, including training for one or two organized rides a year by extending my commute. But my goal, never reached, is 5000 miles per year, and I have long considered 10,000 miles “hardcore.”

FYA, consider the ride mentioned above (about 430 miles from Raleigh), or a proposed Boston Bike weekend (about 720 miles), both shorter than Raleigh to Wisconsin, FWIW.

Originally Posted by fishboy316
Just took off Oct 8,9,12 for the Over 50 ride at Rayston lake in PA. Sounds like fun! really like that can ride both MTB and road. Look forward to meeting some BF folks!

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…A "Boston Bicycling Weekend" or two is still on my agenda for this summer, but the Pensylvania site and time sounds very inviting, and would extend my cycling "nice weather" season…

Originally Posted by miss kenton
… It in's nice to see that no matter how old we get, you're still able to get a blatant plug in for the Boston ride!
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
…That's a pretty good haul for me from St Louis [to Pennsylvania]…

You’re right about that, RG; 724 or 768 miles on two routes suggested by Mapquest. Hope you can make it.

In 2011 I drove about 750 miles to attend the Third Annual Ride in Michigan, combined with a visit to the family there. BTW, if I recall correctly, you ride a recumbent. Last year rtool drove over 800 miles from Ohio to Boston with his recumbent for the Sixth Annual Ride...

PS: I just made note that the Monday after the ride is October 12, Columbus Day, a bonus “get-out-of-work-free” day, for the return trip.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-28-15 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-28-15, 01:29 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Similarly,most of my miles are commuting, including training for one or two organized rides a year by extending my commute. But my goal, never reached, is 5000 miles per year, and I have long considered 10,000 miles “hardcore.”

FYA, consider the ride mentioned above (about 430 miles from Raleigh), or a proposed in weekend Boston Bike (about 720 miles), both shorter than Raleigh to Wisconsin, FWIW.
I'm always on the look out for new rides. However, my brother lives in Chicago, and I owe him a visit, hence the trip to Wisconsin.
Old 01-28-15, 02:37 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I don't do a ton of organized rides. Always the fundraiser for Community Cycling Center, The Worst Day of the Year Ride. Except last year it was canceled. It was the worst day of the year! All registrations were applied to this year. Feb 8th.

I do Cycle Oregon and have since '10 except the following year I had multiple broken ribs and collarbone so I showed up minus bike and traveled with the camp crews. Fun. And an eye-opener! Wow, does a lot of work happen between arrival at 10 am to some large tents set up, semi trucks all over the place, banks of porta potties and a city of tents. Three hours later as riders arrive, the place is humming!

Made up for not riding by doing the next year's hilly Crater Lake ride on my fix gear. This year? Who knows. The course is a secret to be unveiled in a couple of weeks. (Feb 4th, at the presentation at Portland's Art Museum and the web. Sign-up will start the next day at noon. 2000 slots, First come, first served.) I may have a surgery facing me, I have done the ride now twice fixed. I have nothing to prove. But I will be there if my body isn't cold. And maybe meet some of you?

Ben
Ben-did you do Cycle Oregon in 2013? I spent way too much time here:

Old 01-28-15, 02:56 PM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am kicking around riding the Gila Monster 300k brevet this Saturday........ I have until midnight tonight to make up my mind and register online
Old 01-29-15, 06:00 PM
Lou Skannon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Icebike 2015: Feb 21st: Winnipeg, Manitoba. Riding around on the Red River. My first Winter event; I'm still trying to decide on what to wear and if the fatbike will need studded tires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ice.JPG (81.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 01-29-15, 06:07 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Just signed up for Bike Ride Around Minnesota (BAM) and I think I'll sign up for Tomrv as well. I know I'll do a 300 km this summer as well.
Old 01-29-15, 07:44 PM
KenshiBiker

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm planning on doing the Tour of the California Alps (aka The Death Ride); 127 miles, 15k+ feet of climbing. It's long been on my "bucket list", but until this past year I've never been in good enough shape to seriously consider it. Since The Death Ride is in July, I might do the double metric century route of the Sierra Century in May as a tune up.

BTW - If you see my Mom, don't tell her I'm doing The Death Ride . . . call it the Tour of the California Alps. It sounds friendlier, like you would expect to see Julie Andrews running around singing about Edelweiss .
Old 01-30-15, 02:46 AM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^^^===^^^^
Old 01-30-15, 09:45 PM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
The Five Boroughs of New York City. It will be my 7th because it's such a great weekend. Seeing NYC on a bike at 15MPH with no traffic is such a great event that I can't help testifying.
Old 02-01-15, 08:30 PM
Jmeloy99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doing a six day tour in CO in June.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.