Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

2018 - Your Touring Plans = Where Are You Going?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

2018 - Your Touring Plans = Where Are You Going?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-18, 05:12 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Tajue17
hoping to just go about 15 miles to the local town forest that has paved bike trails and setting up a camp with a hammock and do a day camp for the the day maybe break out the travel fishing rod...
Sounds like a lovely day to me.
Old 01-11-18, 05:14 AM
Tajue17

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this year I have more goals than last and hoping to really get bitten by the touring bug..

Originally Posted by BBassett
A good ride to a spot that you camp out comfortably and enjoy the experience is all that is important. It doesn't have to be "epic". And have you ever gone fishing and caught something that wasn't epic?
your absolutely right

Last edited by Tajue17; 01-11-18 at 05:20 AM.
Old 01-11-18, 09:44 AM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Currently working hard to have enough time for a tandem tour up form Montreal to Gaspe some time around June.
Old 01-11-18, 11:13 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Old 01-11-18, 11:15 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I bet the coast of Maine is stunning. Heard anything about a rising tick population?
Can't be any worse than MA where I live. North shore and Cape are hot spots. Deet seems to work.
Old 01-11-18, 12:06 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
I bet the coast of Maine is stunning.
The touristy/developed parts are not.
Old 01-11-18, 01:34 PM
mattbur

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Sirrus, 2016 Surly Disc Trucker, 800 MTB for winter use

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
If you happen meet a Mark and Cindy from Youngstown, OH tell them Dave Z (Met at Bonton, stayed at their house before my 2014 cross-PA tour) says "Hello." I believe they do GOBA every year.

Stranger things have happened. The last time I did Cycle Oregon, which is more than 2,000 people, I ran into a woman I had gone to Jr. high with. Less than 12 hrs. later I ran into a woman I went to law school with.
Indy,

Yes, I will keep an eye out for them and pass along the "Hello." It's a seven day ride so I'm almost certain to run into them somewhere along the way.

And you did Bonton?? I've looked, with some interest, at that ride. Is it pretty well organized? Do they do that ride in a different location each year. I've heard it is brutal with the killer hills and all.

Tony
Old 01-11-18, 01:37 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tajue17
hoping to just go about 15 miles to the local town forest that has paved bike trails and setting up a camp with a hammock and do a day camp for the the day maybe break out the travel fishing rod,,,,, its not even a hint of what all of you are doing but I'm a total beginner and still trying to get my packs filled right.
I plan on doing the same thing, getting my feet wet, though the "local" National Forest is about 50+ miles on the bike, pavement and gravel so the overnighter will be about 100 miles.

Kinda toying with the idea of a N-S Outer Banks tour, from Virginia border to SC border. Logistics...
Old 01-11-18, 01:58 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by mattbur
And you did Bonton?? I've looked, with some interest, at that ride. Is it pretty well organized? Do they do that ride in a different location each year. I've heard it is brutal with the killer hills and all.
Last did it in 2014. Yes. The routes do vary. Lately, however, they have been offering indoor accommodation options at colleges in addition to camping. You typically also don't move locations every day. This, in turn, has limited route options somewhat.

How hard any given year will be depends on where they go. Riding parallel to the lakes usually isn't that bad. It can get ugly when you have to cross from one lake to another. Overall, I would definitely not call the event "brutal," but you do have to accept some steep hills at times.
Old 01-11-18, 04:16 PM
antmaster5000

Bikes: BMC TeamMachine, Surly Pacer, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts
Planning on riding down the West Coast out of Seattle, down Baja, and then maybe to Mexico City this summer. Been planning this trip with a close cyclist friend of 6 months now. Also planning on riding the John Wayne trail to Spokane in late May. Shaping up to be a good year for cycling
Old 01-11-18, 08:46 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
I plan on doing the same thing, getting my feet wet, though the "local" National Forest is about 50+ miles on the bike, pavement and gravel so the overnighter will be about 100 miles.

Kinda toying with the idea of a N-S Outer Banks tour, from Virginia border to SC border. Logistics...

Outer Banks sounds interesting though I can't recall reading about bike touring there. From what I see one can take the ferry from Hatteras to Ocracoke Island & then another ferry to Cedar "Island". One might want to check on prevailing winds. IIRC the Wright Bro's liked the steady wind for easier take-offs. Once camped near Hatteras & played Frisbee: missed a catch & the thing proceeded to roll on it's edge down the road, we watched in amusement as it continued for ~200 m before we gave up & grabbed it.

Last edited by DropBarFan; 01-11-18 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-11-18, 10:09 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts
2017 I rode Katy Trail, GAP/C&O and Mickleson Trail. I can’t say which one was the best if I had to choose GAP is hard to beat. The Motobecane Fantom CX bike didn’t let me down and the 35mm Schawlbe Marathon Mondials performed excellent. Luckily my family was ok with driving a chase vehicle so pit stops always had cold drinks and food. For 2018 I would like to ride Katy Trail East to West the opposite of 2017 also Acadia NP carriage roads sounds intriguing though it would be a long drive to get there. Was in Maine in 2012 and the Acadia area is awesome.
Old 01-12-18, 07:31 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Outer Banks sounds interesting though I can't recall reading about bike touring there. From what I see one can take the ferry from Hatteras to Ocracoke Island & then another ferry to Cedar "Island". One might want to check on prevailing winds. IIRC the Wright Bro's liked the steady wind for easier take-offs. Once camped near Hatteras & played Frisbee: missed a catch & the thing proceeded to roll on it's edge down the road, we watched in amusement as it continued for ~200 m before we gave up & grabbed it.
Adventure Cycling Assoc. has a map and NC DOT has a bike trail that runs N-S from VA to SC. It is in the coastal plains and crosses some of the big rivers feeding the sounds. On the ACA map there is the Outer Banks alternate route. Yes that would include Hatteras-Ocracoke and Ocracoke-Cedar Island ferry crossings. But on the inland route there are also several ferry crossings.
I've taken a number of fishing trips down there in years past. It can be calm and placid or a brutal environment with unanticipated storms, constant wind, thunderstorms, nor'easters, torrential rain...not to mention hurricanes. And all that with very little shelter in any natural form. There are well spaced campgrounds but they are wide open to the elements, no shade/tree canopy available.
Probably the best time would be early spring. That would get you before the summer thunderstorms, hurricane season, or fall/winter when most of the nor'easters blow in. Also gets you there before full-blown tourist/summer vacation season.
Old 01-12-18, 07:40 AM
mohamilton

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Sounds like there are a few Ohio cyclist around! I'll be touring from Cincinnati to Columbus and back quite a few times this year to get in shape for some longer tours. There are a few campgrounds inbetween so i'll do some short weekend trips on the Miami trail.

I'll be going out to Utah late spring to do a few day MTN Bikepacking trip.

Summer is up in the air but i'm thinking about doing the adventure cycling route around Northern Vermont.
Old 01-12-18, 08:37 AM
jurjan

Bikes: Idworx Easy Rohler (2012) / Velotraum Speedster Single Speed (2019) / Batavus Stabilo (1995, now decommisioned)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Our plan for this year is Kyrgyzstan, maybe starting in Kazakhstan, doing a loop of around four weeks.
We haven't decided on the exact route, so any do see's and do don'ts are much appreciated.
Old 01-15-18, 01:42 PM
5kdad

Bikes: Felt Z100 road bike, Schwinn Frontier, Salsa Marrakesh, box-store tandem, and Sun Recumbent trike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Planning a solo, self supported bike camping/WarmShowers trip this summer, hopefully for about 3 weeks. Have never done much solo touring. Hope to start at my door step (live in northern Arkansas), make a loop south through the central part of the state, then come back across southern Missouri, then back home.
I've done several across-state rides, including RAGBRAI twice, Oklahoma Freewheel once, and one ride north to south across Arkansas. Have done the Katy Trail.
May also try and squeeze in a ride from home to Galveston, TX.
The purpose of my planned 3 week ride, is to see how I handle a ride that long, camping by myself. I will turn 62 in December, and may start drawing my social security (I'm self-employed). If the 3 week ride goes well, I may try an "extended" tour of the US in 2019, riding until it's no longer fun, or I see everything I want to see.
Last year, 2017, was a "bust" for me, as some unexpected medical issues came up, and I did no multi-day rides.
Old 01-15-18, 04:09 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Now I am jealous.
Me too. If you could ride or hitch hike to Hawaii, I'd have been there long ago. 😎 😁
Old 01-15-18, 07:35 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
want to do a great lake circle tour this year. last year i rode my longest day ever with full touring load. it was 94 miles in the middle of a 6 day tour. if i can do a 2 week tour perhaps i can do a century one day.
Old 01-15-18, 10:32 PM
biketocamp
Banned.

Bikes: FM-296 Road Bike, Surly LHT, Superb Sprint

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
I try doing a trip a year. If it's a big one out of the U.S.A. that is. This year it's riding the Salt Flats in August.
Old 02-12-18, 07:46 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by jurjan
Our plan for this year is Kyrgyzstan, maybe starting in Kazakhstan, doing a loop of around four weeks.
We haven't decided on the exact route, so any do see's and do don'ts are much appreciated.
That sounds interesting!
Old 02-12-18, 08:04 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Well the wedding is over and the wife's vacation plans have been submitted to the hospital for the honeymoon weeks, so planning for biking France in mid-late July has began!
Old 02-12-18, 08:06 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
want to do a great lake circle tour this year. last year i rode my longest day ever with full touring load. it was 94 miles in the middle of a 6 day tour. if i can do a 2 week tour perhaps i can do a century one day.

Any lake in particular?
Old 02-12-18, 11:36 PM
Dark Arrow

Bikes: Vivente Patagonia, Giant Expedition, Raleigh Twenty, Brompton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We are looking at Norway in the Lofoten islands around July,, Though we are struggling a bit with the plan so may opt somewhere else

Bear
Old 02-13-18, 04:28 AM
jurjan

Bikes: Idworx Easy Rohler (2012) / Velotraum Speedster Single Speed (2019) / Batavus Stabilo (1995, now decommisioned)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
That sounds interesting!
Yeah, we hope it will be.
We just booked our flight to and from Almaty in Kazakhstan, now we only need to find a nice hotel there for our first and last night.
After that: Freedom! Holiday!

If people have any suggestions for a nice hotel (where we could leave our (cardboard) bike boxes to be used again for the return flight) we would be grateful.
Also: any other do's and don'ts are appreciated.
Old 02-13-18, 07:07 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk

Any lake in particular?
probably lake michigan so i can start from my front door and return home. looks like it might take me a month.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.