Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Commuter eBike

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Commuter eBike

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-20, 05:58 PM
spinnanz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum
Nice looking bike. Any details?

Its 1972 Raleigh sport. Its running a BH Easy Motion wheel set with rear hub motor, which is rated at 36v, 7a to make 250w. I'm running it on 48v, 13a to make 620w. It will do not less than 30kph with a heavy head wind. With a good tail wind I can tap 47kph. Nil wind it will sit in 40kph.

The original 6v lighting has been converted to LED and runs off a USB port from my battery. The battery and speed conteller are in the old pannier bag.

The wheels are deep alloys, running 700x28c tires. This was where I chose practicality over looks. I'd have like to keep the original rims but these new ones make for a much nicer ride.

Thisnis my next conversion which I will keep the original wheels, and limit it to around 500w.

Old 11-10-20, 07:00 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by siesta_texas
I am new to the eBike world and have seen manual/conventional bike referred to as analog. That’s it. No theories of changing speeds here. Just a term I thought was the go-to term
The continuously variable throttle on an e-bike would be classified as an analog control. Perhaps that's the idea behind the name of Analog Motion e-bikes.

It's interesting how the misuse of a word can propagate. Sorry for the challenge, but you can probably guess from my user name that it's hard for me to resist.

To respond to your initial post, I'd say that if you feel that your current bike suits your commuting needs why not think about converting it to electric power assist. I converted my wife's bike with a mid-drive motor last year and it's been great. Plenty of power, 40+ mile range, torque-sensing pedal assist - for a price well below what your budget is. See my thread on the conversion here.

Good luck.
Old 11-11-20, 08:18 AM
squeakyschwinn

Bikes: 1983 Schwinn Traveler; 2013 Fuji Roubaix 3.0 LE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I have a Specialized Vado. I've put 2k miles on it and love it. The only minor downside that I've noticed is that the OEM tires wear quickly. Entry level model like mine falls within your price point, although I've noticed that availability seems limited on their website.
Old 11-11-20, 08:39 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnanz

Its 1972 Raleigh sport. Its running a BH Easy Motion wheel set with rear hub motor, which is rated at 36v, 7a to make 250w. I'm running it on 48v, 13a to make 620w. It will do not less than 30kph with a heavy head wind. With a good tail wind I can tap 47kph. Nil wind it will sit in 40kph.

The original 6v lighting has been converted to LED and runs off a USB port from my battery. The battery and speed conteller are in the old pannier bag.

The wheels are deep alloys, running 700x28c tires. This was where I chose practicality over looks. I'd have like to keep the original rims but these new ones make for a much nicer ride.

Thisnis my next conversion which I will keep the original wheels, and limit it to around 500w.

I like it. I notice a bottle generator on the green bike in the first pic. I wondered about that.
I like the idea of having the battery and controller in an old pannier.Now I want to build one like that.
Stealth Classic ebike.
Old 11-12-20, 09:32 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by siesta_texas
You get what you pay for and I would rather pay more for the better quality. I can bump it up to $3.5K if that would increase the options. Any models I should start looking at in that range. Also, what are things that are musts vs nice to haves in terms of options?
I commute about 12 miles oneway in Denver all season four days a week. I like these bikes:

https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/current

https://evelo.com/products/aurora-limited

https://dostbikes.com/product/drop/

Enclosed is a review: Enjoy and good luck. https://electrek.co/2020/11/09/prior...w-underpriced/

Last edited by alloo; 11-12-20 at 09:38 AM.