Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Will removing spacers add to presssure on soft tissues?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-15, 07:47 AM
xuv500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Recently I had a 600 KM brevet ride and since then I had pins and needles in the reproductive organ. Before that I did not have this much pain. Little bit of pain in my 300 KM ride, but recovered very fast in couple days. The only change I did between these rides is increased my seat height marginally to reduce knee pain in my right knee and now I do not get any pain in long distance ride. (The 600 was superb. No pain at all) But I am still having pins and needles in groin area occasionally from my 600 ride. ( 15 days back)

Day before I did a 150 KM ride and made a conscious effort to seat on the sit bones always and stood up every few KM. That ride was good and did not add to the pain.

My current set up is Saddle and handlebar are level.

Now I am considering to remove some spacers and get a more aggressive position. My question is doing this will I be putting more pressure on soft tissues?

Will tilting saddle down help? I was thinking before that 150 but did not do it. Don’t want to take chances.

( We do not have master fitters, so everything is mostly web learning and trial and error.)

Appreciate your help.
Old 02-11-15, 01:39 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 1,953 Times in 1,393 Posts
Whatever you do, don't do that anymore. You might want to have a relationship with someone someday and this damage can be permanent and frequently is. So reach down every now and again and make sure you haven't gone numb. If you have, get off the bike and well, massage until it feels normal again. Long climbs are the worst. Get out of the saddle and pedal for 1 minute every 10 minutes by the clock.

This is usually a saddle issue. You need a saddle which does not put pressure on your perineum. Usually that means a cut-out. I had this problem on a long ride long ago and fixed it with a saddle change. My bars are ~3" below my saddle. I don't have the saddle tilted down - that's usually a bad idea because you'll keep sliding forward and putting pressure on your perineum again on the saddle nose.

Anyway, welcome to the club of saddle experimenters. There is a saddle out there which will work for you. You just have to find it. Specialized saddles are a good choice. Some people like the Selle SMP. Others have found success with one of the Performance Forte Pro saddles.
Old 02-11-15, 04:57 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Keep Your hips Upright and bend with your spine above your Hips .

Reproduction is over rated + Western lifestyles Over consume, part of Why the globe is getting more toxic all the time.
Old 02-13-15, 12:20 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
It is likely mostly a saddle issue and less likely due to position. However, I'm an old man of 76 and the most comfortable position has evolved so that the handle bar is now a cm or two below the saddle. I've found a cutout in the saddle reduces pressure in the groin. Also necessary to reduce pressure for me is having the correct width. Just several cms in width is the difference between a happy cyclist and pain. I've also found swiveling the saddle a mere several degrees off center promotes greater comfort. Experiment lots.
Old 02-14-15, 07:20 PM
Cromolyman

Bikes: 1995 Ritchey Road Classic /Record 2013 Seven Axiom SL/Record 2014 Surly Ice Cream Truck/XT 2015 Colnago C60/Super Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
https://www.sellesmp.com/smp4bike/

For me personally, THE ANSWER! Not just any of their models, but the one with the width appropriate for the distance between my sit bones (ischial tuberosity), the Glider.

I now get out of the saddle when I want to, not because I have to. Good luck.

Last edited by Cromolyman; 02-14-15 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Change link