Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

the Dog Days of winter

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

the Dog Days of winter

Old 02-04-14, 03:36 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
the Dog Days of winter

why do I go to the gym in the dead of winter when I feel like going straight home and getting under the covers?

because I know that something now is better than nothing, and I will reap the rewards many many months from now. I don't have to achieve my personal best heck I don't even have to complete full sets or reps. what I do have to do is show up.

and I will
Old 02-04-14, 04:09 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,377 Posts
Show up! is the first commandment.
Old 02-04-14, 06:38 PM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last year at this time I had well over 300 miles logged... This year, hardly any.
... But, maybe that was meant to be: I am getting some much needed cross training in with ankle weights as well as on the treadmill. The few times I've been on the bike, my legs have felt stronger and more balanced.
Old 02-04-14, 07:11 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
I was talking with my doctor today and she said that everyone is complaining of a lack of motivation this year. She blames the weather and I have no trouble believing her. I'm never a ball of fire this time of year, but this year I could hibernate til April. Forcing myself to go to the gym and praying for ridable days ahead.
Old 02-05-14, 07:56 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Show up! is the first commandment.
haha yeah, and #2 is do no harm ...
Old 02-05-14, 07:57 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac
Last year at this time I had well over 300 miles logged... This year, hardly any.
... But, maybe that was meant to be: I am getting some much needed cross training in with ankle weights as well as on the treadmill. The few times I've been on the bike, my legs have felt stronger and more balanced.
I hear ya. I used to bike commute but can't right now. fortunately the leg work I do keeps me strong so that when I do ride I'm not all wimpy!
Old 02-05-14, 07:58 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Myosmith
I was talking with my doctor today and she said that everyone is complaining of a lack of motivation this year. She blames the weather and I have no trouble believing her. I'm never a ball of fire this time of year, but this year I could hibernate til April. Forcing myself to go to the gym and praying for ridable days ahead.
a suggestion ... from some movie star ... just tie your shoe laces
Old 02-05-14, 09:58 AM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I pay my personal trainer in advance. That's my motivation for showing up.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 02-05-14, 10:48 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by CbadRider
I pay my personal trainer in advance. That's my motivation for showing up.
Lol, me too. I simply won't do the core/upper body work on my own, it's some kind of hard different from cycling that I don't like. But if I've paid for in advance for a private yoga session, suddenly I'm motivated.

I also find it helpful to have a schedule. My job is appointment-driven and I'm like some kind of trained monkey about keeping to my schedule. Much of my energy every day at work is strategizing how to get everything done and still see all my appointments on time. So if I'm *scheduled* to climb a hill Wed Feb 13 at 5:15 am, I'm pretty likely to find myself *actually* climbing a hill that day at 5:15am.

H
Old 02-05-14, 12:31 PM
rumrunn6

just got back from my lunchtime gymfest. had the place to myself with only a couple exceptions. what a joy to have free reign of the place!
Old 02-05-14, 02:42 PM
Jared.
Uninformed Senior Member

Bikes: Dolan Pre Cursa, Cannondale R400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been an absolute nightmare trying to get seat time in this winter between work and the weather. No gym for me so I've been pushing myself as much as I can. Still confident I'll be in good shape as soon as the weather breaks.

Calisthenics every day!
Old 02-05-14, 06:20 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
a suggestion ... from some movie star ... just tie your shoe laces
Been tying them and getting out as often as possible, still doesn't change the fact that it feels more like a chore than something I look forward to. The doctor I was talking to is an active runner and marathoner. We were comparing frost bite (nip) from recent outings. Still can't wait for that rush of motivation that comes with the first serious thaws in March or early April.

Last edited by Myosmith; 02-05-14 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-05-14, 07:47 PM
sprince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why do I go to the gym in the dead of winter when I feel like going straight home and getting under the covers?
Inactivity is a normal response for mammals in winter, it's basically a hard-wired energy conservation strategy. But there are still things to do that are less boring than going to the gym, if you find the gym boring. If it's cold where you are there is snow and skiing, nordic if you live someplace flat, alpine if you have mountains. If it's not cold enough to snow maybe you have nothing to complain about. I ride my 29'r on the road for lunch or after work in warm, comfy clothes, doing hill repeats instead of distance or speed. Of course it's still cold and dark, but I find it sucks slightly less when you find something to do outside every few days.

Last edited by sprince; 02-05-14 at 07:48 PM. Reason: missed something
Old 02-05-14, 07:49 PM
travelerman

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
Worst winter for riding since I got back on the bike in 2010... I have been working on core workouts per Core Advantage, and have dragged the old Mag trainer indoors a few times.
Was just about ready to start tearing through P90X this week when the flu intervened... I am ready for something that steps it up a notch - nothing on the tube, and the Mrs. is subjecting me to HGTV.
I don't recall ever being this ready for summer.
Old 02-06-14, 02:33 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 223 Posts
Winter is full of fun stuff to do!

MTBing is different and even more fun than in the summertime. Road riding with a cx is still possible.

Nordic skiing is the bomb. It doesn't train the same muscles as cycling but is better for cardio.
Alpine skiing isn't a workout as such

Running can be done with spiked shoes.
Old 02-06-14, 04:46 AM
travelerman

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
Five degrees Fahrenheit with -11 wind chill right now, and compacted snow all around. Ain't nothing I'm going to do in that except get from my car to indoors as fast as possible...
Old 02-06-14, 06:28 AM
sprince

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by travelerman
Five degrees Fahrenheit with -11 wind chill right now, and compacted snow all around. Ain't nothing I'm going to do in that except get from my car to indoors as fast as possible...
Could be worse, if you lived here...
https://www.weather.com/travel/breath...world-20140128
Old 02-06-14, 06:50 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I've found it helps to go somewhere warmer at some point during winter.

When I lived in Canada, I shortened one winter by going to Australia to cycle for three months (Oct/Nov/Dec), and I took a break from another winter with a 2-week Australian visit. During one particularly early winter, I went to the UK for a couple weeks in November. While the cyclists there were apologising to me for +15C and drizzly conditions, Winnipeg was experiencing about 2 feet of snow and -20C. On three occasions, while the Canadian prairies were experiencing very long winters, with one snow storm after another in April, I headed off to the Vancouver/Vancouver Island area and enjoyed some cycling surrounded by flowers and green.

And then I moved ...

Even here in Australia, winters can get long (cool and rainy) ... so we returned to Canada one August to take advantage of a Canadian summer, and we planned our recent Round-the-World trip so that we left Australia in the middle of winter, and then spent a nice long summer and autumn in the northern hemisphere. Shortly after it turned winter in the northern hemisphere, we returned to Australia.

But planning these little breaks from winter can provide some motivation to go to the spinning classes etc., and I tend to get quite a lot of cycling in during those breaks. I appreciate the good weather so I'm out there cycling pretty much every day.
Old 02-12-14, 08:59 AM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Our gym has a giant jacuzzi, plus a steam room and a sauna. One of those is always my treat at the end of the workout. Usually jacuzzi.

But it is still a struggle getting there - between the flu and travel my schedule is all out of whack, and I am sure that I have lost some amount of the aerobic fitness that I had before Christmas. This morning I was going to go and I woke up with a sore throat, so I figure that now I am getting a cold.
Old 02-12-14, 09:16 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
I ride if the ground conditions are ok. Once I start I'm good to go. But, yes, starting is tough. Knowing that the road will have enough clear pavement to ride soon, helps me get over times when I can't ride. If there is lots of ice around I can usually ride an off road bike path with studded tires. Having two options helps a lot. I keep one MTB with studded tires and one without ready to go at all times. Not having to switch tires or wheels is great.

Yesterday was 30-18 F. Had a short 30 miles road ride on an mtb. I feel much better.
Old 02-12-14, 10:25 AM
rumrunn6

re: "Our gym has a giant jacuzzi, plus a steam room and a sauna. One of those is always my treat at the end of the workout. Usually jacuzzi."

oh man mine used to have that, a Bally's. current gym ain't got squat, practically don't even have ventilation ...