Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Turning my Specialized Roubaix into a “gravel bike”

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-18, 03:54 PM
Natenat138

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

In the last few months, I purchased a Specialized Roubaix Sport as my sort of “Swiss Army Bike.” I live in Central Pa and the 28mm tires and the new Future Shock are great for the tougher roads and hard pack, flat gravel with minimal to medium “chunk”. I’d like to push the limits on some of the rougher stuff and onto fire roads in some of the state forests nearby, and have a few questions I’m hoping to find answers to.

This frame and fork have pretty tight tire clearances and, stock, couldn’t go bigger than a 30 or 32. I know with mountain bikes, if I had a 29’er, in most cases I could dump down to a 27.5 wheel and put a bigger tire; is that the same for road/gravel? Could I get a 650B wheelset and put a larger, treaded tire on it?

If so, could anyone recommend rim/wheel brands that work well on Specialized stuff, and tire combos?
Old 07-21-18, 04:10 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
If you have rim brakes they'll have to accommodate wheels with 3/4" smaller diameter when going to 650B...
Old 07-21-18, 05:34 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
A 700x23 diameter is around the same as a 650b x 42. You'd be able to work out if a 42 fits taking some measurements within your frame.
I pushed the limits on my road bike using a tubed 700x32 for a while. Gave up in the end and purchased a frame with the clearance I was chasing.
Old 11-26-18, 11:08 AM
dtheory

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bump...
I'll be doing some experimentation with a set of 650b wheels on a 2018 Roubaix soon..
will let you know how it goes.. I have a friend who has stated 38mm rear is the max with 650b
(42mm on the front)
Will verify that..
Old 11-26-18, 05:52 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
The diameter might be the same but the width will not be. There is no way on earth a Roubaix will have enough clearance for a 42mm 650b tire. If you go with a smaller tire the frame is not designed for 650b so the BB drop will be too much.
Old 11-26-18, 06:59 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Incorrect. The radius difference is 19mm/0.75" smaller going from 700c rims to 650b.

The diameter difference is 38mm/1.5" smaller going from 700c to 650b.

You are correct the brakes would need to have 19mm downward adjustment available to reach 650b brake track.
Good catch... there's a market for this-- I'd swap out my rear wheel and enjoy a 28mm tire tomorrow if all I had to do is spin on my current HG700 freewheel... currently, I like my bike a lot but cannot run a larger tire than 25 and the brakes are at the top of the calipers so, that's all it'd take to give me more options.
Old 11-26-18, 07:57 PM
09box

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a Fuji Sportif disc version and run 700x32 Ritchey Crossmax knobby tires with room to spare. They work great on gravel and singletrack.
Old 11-27-18, 12:33 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Roubaix sport has a high bb drop @ 76mm. A 650x38 tire has a diameter of 660mm, radius of 330mm. Your bb height will be 330mm - 76mm = 254mm = 10". 10.5" is typically the minimum for "gravel" to avoid pedal strike.

I would only switch if you can use 650x38 minimum
Old 11-27-18, 11:14 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
I think I would skip all this and get a real gravel bike.
Likes For shoota:
Old 11-27-18, 11:41 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Natenat138
This frame and fork have pretty tight tire clearances and, stock, couldn’t go bigger than a 30 or 32. I know with mountain bikes, if I had a 29’er, in most cases I could dump down to a 27.5 wheel and put a bigger tire; is that the same for road/gravel? Could I get a 650B wheelset and put a larger, treaded tire on it?
It will depend if diameter or width is limiting your tire size. A 650b helps on the diameter side by using a smaller rim diameter, but if your chainstays only have the width for a 32mm tire then you'd still be stuck. This is a situation where you'll have to measure or experiment.
Old 11-27-18, 12:12 PM
gus6464

I just can't see even a 650x38 fitting on a roubaix. I would cut my loses and get an actual gravel bike.
Likes For gus6464:
Old 11-27-18, 01:31 PM
Mr_Crankypants

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll join the chorus recommending that you look at purpose-built gravel bikes. I tried converting a 2018 Giant Defy to a gravel bike with 650b wheels and 38mm tires. It was great fun to ride, but when I went to swap my road wheels back in recently, I noticed a good deal of scratching in the fork and stays. I didn't do any real damage to the frame other than the paint job, but it was enough to convince me that a road bike is not an ideal gravel bike. I'm selling that bike now and planning to get a dedicated gravel bike. That way I'll have plenty of clearance for big tires, and can always put road tires on it if I want to. I also wanted a "Swiss Army Bike," but determined that it's a lot easier to go gravel -> road than road -> gravel.
Old 11-27-18, 02:24 PM
dvn_85

Bikes: Merida CX 4. Diamant Adventure Road. Peugeot Sprint SS/FG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Nice project mate!
Old 11-27-18, 05:07 PM
gus6464

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
If you like the ride of the Roubaix I'd look at an endurance road bike before considering a gravel bike.
Huh? The Roubaix is an endurance road bike.
Old 11-28-18, 08:47 AM
Hunterdog

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Expert. 2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Besides using tires as wide as possible (I think there is clearance for 32 mm tires on 2017 and 2018 models), what else could OP do?
Old 11-28-18, 12:02 PM
gus6464

Originally Posted by Hunterdog
Besides using tires as wide as possible (I think there is clearance for 32 mm tires on 2017 and 2018 models), what else could OP do?
Get another bike.
Likes For gus6464:
Old 11-28-18, 12:14 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by gus6464
Get another bike.
Agreed.
Old 11-28-18, 03:23 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
I rode 28mm on a road bike all summer. Went over more crazy washboards than you'd think a bike like that could do.

I got a CX bike with 38s and capacity for 45 in Sept. I was instantly blown away at just how much more capable it is off pavement. It's a big enough difference that I will be putting 25's back on the road bike and am only riding it for completely paved road.
Old 01-07-19, 03:36 PM
yellow130

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At the risk of bringing up an old thread,

I did just this. My 2017 Specialized Roubaix is now a gravel bike! Specialized and some LBS's will tell you that this voids the frame warranty, but as the 2nd owner, I'm not eligible for it anyways. Soooooo why not?

I ended up with the FSA FS Wheelset, and 1.35" Schwalbe G-one Allround tires. I also added the Specialized Hover Bars w/ Flare, for added knee clearance.
The bike shop put them together as a tubeless setup, and moved the 11sp Cogset and Rotors from the old wheels.

Don't even try using the 1.5" tires, as they're too wide for the rear. Even with the 1.35" tires, there's only 4mm side-side rear tire clearance on both sides... But since I'm not planning to blaze through rock gardens, blaze new trails, or hit awesome gaps, I'm not really worried about this.

I've maxed out the tires to 70 PSI, and the bike has taken on a new personality on the local gravel MUP, and is quick as it used to be on the paved road.

Pros:
  • My wife is happy that my timeline to purchase a new mountain bike has been placed on hold.
  • The squish.... Mmmm that squish is pure loveliness. I thought the free floating seat tube and future shock on the Roubaix were awesome... well now the whole bike is ever so much MORE awesome.

Cons:
  • These tires can't hold enough air pressure to run on my rollers. Winter training in the garage has been put on indefinite hold until i can get new cogs and rotors.
  • I need to purchase lightweight fenders to protect the bike from pebbles and water.
** Apologies, BF says I don't have enough posts to link to the products. maybe I'll update at a later date...
Old 01-14-19, 10:13 AM
Natenat138

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by yellow130
At the risk of bringing up an old thread,

Actually, thanks for digging this up,. I've been meaning to respond with my results of this experiment, as I did finally take the plunge and grabbed a pair of 27.5 rims and 27.5 tires (their branding, not mine).

.Giant PTRX-1 27.5 wheelset (I don't recall the exact specs)

.160mm rotors, the stock model that comes with the original Roubaix wheelset

.11-32 Shimano Ultegra cassette.

.Maxxis 27.5 x 1.5 Ramblers

I ended up doing this sometime mid-summer so I had a little bit of time to test it a bit. First things first, the clearance on the rear wheel is UNREAL tight and is something I'll address soon. Front wheel is just fine for clearance but the rear is something else and I have to keep pressures on the lower side to keep it from rubbing the frame. I'll be buying much more narrow tires before I do any more extensive gravel riding.

I live in Central PA, primarily riding anything from fine, hard-packed gravel to the chunkiest stuff of fire roads in State Forests. While this was a great setup for the former, it got sketchy at times for the latter. Climbing and flat riding is fine but descending gets to be a little sketchy/squirrely. That could be a number of things, but on the road wheelset I feel incredibly confident in descending but as soon as the other set is on, I'm not laying off my brakes.

This is experiment absolutely spurred my love for gravel riding, so I'll likely be trying a more narrow tire and if that doesn't help, I'll be building a gravel bike from the frame up with this wheelset in its current iteration.
Old 09-02-19, 08:02 PM
mkarikom

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a cool project. I've often wondered how my Roubaix would fare over some of the fire roads in the hills around Southern California. Maybe I'll give this a try!
Old 10-15-19, 06:04 PM
Takis

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mkarikom
This is a cool project. I've often wondered how my Roubaix would fare over some of the fire roads in the hills around Southern California. Maybe I'll give this a try!
Cool.

Which fire roads do you ride? I am in Orange County.
Old 10-16-19, 10:35 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Cool project, and not unlike what i did before I just bough a good gravel bike (Well, back when I started there really weren't any gravel bikes).

FYI, the steep head tube angle and short wheelbase make downhills (or any turn at speed on loose gravel) a bit sketchy. Other than that - its a matter of how stiff or compliant the ride is.
Old 10-18-19, 01:41 PM
dpicare26

Bikes: '15 BMC Granfondo '11 Stevens Carbon Team CX, '74 Schwinn Paramount, '85 Trek 600, '89 Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Natenat138
Actually, thanks for digging this up,. I've been meaning to respond with my results of this experiment, as I did finally take the plunge and grabbed a pair of 27.5 rims and 27.5 tires (their branding, not mine).

.Giant PTRX-1 27.5 wheelset (I don't recall the exact specs)

.160mm rotors, the stock model that comes with the original Roubaix wheelset

.11-32 Shimano Ultegra cassette.

.Maxxis 27.5 x 1.5 Ramblers

I ended up doing this sometime mid-summer so I had a little bit of time to test it a bit. First things first, the clearance on the rear wheel is UNREAL tight and is something I'll address soon. Front wheel is just fine for clearance but the rear is something else and I have to keep pressures on the lower side to keep it from rubbing the frame. I'll be buying much more narrow tires before I do any more extensive gravel riding.

I live in Central PA, primarily riding anything from fine, hard-packed gravel to the chunkiest stuff of fire roads in State Forests. While this was a great setup for the former, it got sketchy at times for the latter. Climbing and flat riding is fine but descending gets to be a little sketchy/squirrely. That could be a number of things, but on the road wheelset I feel incredibly confident in descending but as soon as the other set is on, I'm not laying off my brakes.

This is experiment absolutely spurred my love for gravel riding, so I'll likely be trying a more narrow tire and if that doesn't help, I'll be building a gravel bike from the frame up with this wheelset in its current iteration.
I also live in central PA, and an event that you may be familiar with, called UnPAved, has spurred my interest in getting into more gravel riding. I have an older Specialized Tricross comp (07) with cantilevers, that aren't great (i've read many reviews about this particular bike, fork, and brakeset). So i don;t feel comfortable on the descents. While I was reading about solutions to that problem, I figured in the mean time, I could just throw some knobbies on a seldom used roadie that I have.

Will have to look into clearances further.
Old 10-26-19, 07:31 AM
insideimoutside

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try to trade for a Diverge locally or another gravel bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.