Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The latest idiot

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

The latest idiot

Old 10-28-19, 02:10 PM
dkatz1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
The latest idiot

I often commute on m bike to my teaching job in Boston. A large bit of my ride is on bike path, but the last half a mile or so is on Massachuestts avenue, one of the major streets in the Boston/Cambridge area. A lot of traffic. In the last few years, they replaced much of the parallel parking with bike lanes, with the weird set up car traffic ( a lane less then they're used to be, a bike lane, then: parking along the street to the right of the bike lane. I'm not that crazy about this set up, I would have left it alone, but that's NOT the point of this rant.
I see so many cyclists blasting down this heavily traveled road, weaving in an out of traffic (as if everyone in a car is carefully watching out for them), no helmet, talking on their phones, nearly running over pedestrians, etc...I'm surprise more of them haven't been hit (and indeed: some of them have).
But a guy I saw a few days ago...he was doing most of the above...zooming along, weaving in and out of the car traffic....and he had, either on his handle bars (or was just holding it?) one of those plastic infant seats, like you see mounted to a rack over the rear wheel.
With an infant child in it. This seemed totally insane to me. I wouldn't think carrying an infant that way is EVER a good idea, but if you were doing it: shouldn't you at least slow down?!?!?!
It's okay to think that someday this man might get (and at least surely be in the running for) a Darwin award, but the tiny baby was way too young to have chosen to be there.
Likes For dkatz1:
Old 10-28-19, 02:18 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
I would have called the police.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 10-28-19, 02:25 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
At least he was not on an ebike.
Old 10-28-19, 02:44 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
This
Old 10-28-19, 03:27 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
The latest idiot
Originally Posted by dkatz1
I often commute on m bike to my teaching job in Boston. A large bit of my ride is on bike path, but the last half a mile or so is on Massachuestts avenue, one of the major streets in the Boston/Cambridge area.

A lot of traffic. In the last few years, they replaced much of the parallel parking with bike lanes, with the weird set up car traffic ( a lane less then they're used to be, a bike lane, then: parking along the street to the right of the bike lane. I'm not that crazy about this set up, I would have left it alone, but that's NOT the point of this rant.

I see so many cyclists blasting down this heavily traveled road, weaving in an out of traffic (as if everyone in a car is carefully watching out for them), no helmet, talking on their phones, nearly running over pedestrians, etc...I'm surprise more of them haven't been hit (and indeed: some of them have).

But a guy I saw a few days ago...he was doing most of the above...zooming along, weaving in and out of the car traffic....and he had, either on his handle bars (or was just holding it?) one of those plastic infant seats, like you see mounted to a rack over the rear wheel…
FYA, I have posted about cycling on Mass Ave.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Generally I get kudos or just indifference towards my cycling, mostly as a year-round commuter here in Metro Boston, even after my serious accident four years ago. The most hostile remarks, particularly in Winter, are from those drivers who fear for themselves to hit me.

Of course I contend with their fears using many of those talking points as mentioned above ["Once again: Health VS Cycling Accidents" (link)]. One soft argument I read on Bikeforums is that cycling in traffic really does look dangerous to car drivers ensconced in their vehicles.

Personally I feel pretty safe, well-lit, with unlimited vision with mirrors, and pretty nimble on my bike. Nonetheless, I’m totally attentive to the cars around me, and I have a number of safety aphorisms in my mind to keep me alert (link).

Once though, I was standing on a busy intersection (Massachusetts and Commonwealth Aves) one Saturday night watching some happy-go-lucky student-type cyclists on Hubway Bike Share bikes, no helmets, riding along and laughing in traffic, and I thought to myself that really does look dangerous.
Old 10-28-19, 03:35 PM
Jim from Boston

Not to be argumentative, but what would you have told them, by the time you got through and the rider was long gone? If identifiable would you call the Dept of Children and Families, which is already notably overburdened in this state.
Old 10-28-19, 03:45 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Not to be argumentative, but what would you have told them, by the time you got through and the rider was long gone? If identifiable would you call the Dept of Children and Families, which is already notably overburdened in this state.
You never know. Assuming that it is a child in the seat , An APB could help an officer to notice. If this is a regular occurrence, then the sooner it is stopped the safer for the kids involved. As far as the department of families being overburdened, again if this is a pattern of endangerment, which includes other risky Behavior, then by calling it in you have become part of the solution.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 10-28-19, 04:57 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Of course I would have called the police. In many places police are over-burdened but I don't think that's a reason not to report a crime.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 10-28-19, 05:35 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
What would the shocked posters have done if they had seen this quite typical in NL combination? And no helmet!! Don't ever visit Holland, you would be shocked, shocked at the Horror!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
family_bike_1.jpg (162.1 KB, 617 views)
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 10-28-19, 06:06 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
May, indeed, have been a infant seat designed to be mounted to the handlebars. I don't know.
I probably rode more safely than the fellow described in the first post but probably more than a few motorists thought I cared not for my sons' safety when they were pulled in a bike trailer thirty plus years ago.
Old 10-28-19, 06:10 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What would the shocked posters have done if they had seen this quite typical in NL combination? And no helmet!! Don't ever visit Holland, you would be shocked, shocked at the Horror!!
poor comparison. the us is not a bike commuting community
Likes For spelger:
Old 10-28-19, 06:37 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
There is a dude in our neighborhood riding around on bicycle with I’m guessing a 3 year old daughter sitting in front of him on the top tube with no helmet and riding at a relatively high speed at times.

I probably should step up and chat with him and give him a kids size helmet.
Old 10-28-19, 07:50 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Or, instead of calling child protective services, maybe call your elected representatives to change the entire mindset of drivers-first so it's safer for cyclists and pedestrians. Somehow this seems to work in nations that adopted an overall strategy for shared public resources.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 10-28-19, 07:55 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/iBert-Front-M.../dp/B000H4E7EO
Old 10-28-19, 08:06 PM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by bruce19
Of course I would have called the police. In many places police are over-burdened but I don't think that's a reason not to report a crime.
The actions described by @BobbyG are indeed desirable outcomes if intentional malfeasance is occuring, though of course idiocy is no excuse.

I’m skeptical though of the outcome of one observation, and perhaps the OP may have some follow-up. A possible benefit of posting here I suppose is that there is even the possibility that the perp or a another cyclist may be a subscriber to Bike Forums and will recognize his behavior on this thread, and be more careful.
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
There is a dude in our neighborhood riding around on bicycle with I’m guessing a 3 year old daughter sitting in front of him on the top tube with no helmet and riding at a relatively high speed at times.

I probably should step up and chat with him and give him a kids size helmet.
This reply reminds me of other threads, "What do you say to…ninjas, salmoning…etc,” most with MYOB responses. How dangerous was the cyclist’s riding?
Originally Posted by JanMM
May, indeed, have been a infant seat designed to be mounted to the handlebars. I don't know.

I probably rode more safely than the fellow described in the first post but probably more than a few motorists thought I cared not for my sons' safety when they were pulled in a bike trailer thirty plus years ago.
… One soft argument I read on Bikeforums is that cycling in traffic really does look dangerous to car drivers ensconced in their vehicles [or maybe less experienced cyclists].

Personally I feel pretty safe, well-lit, with unlimited vision with mirrors, and pretty nimble on my bike. Nonetheless, I’m totally attentive to the cars around me, and I have a number of safety aphorisms in my mind to keep me alert (link).

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-28-19 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-28-19, 08:29 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
What crime has he committed that you are going to call the cops on him?
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 10-28-19, 09:17 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
poor comparison. the us is not a bike commuting community
Correct, if the OP and his thumbs up, Call the Police, I saw something that doesn't meet my Bicycling Correctness Standard! comrades are representative of the so-called "bike commuting community".
Old 10-29-19, 05:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Look, I'm finding the "call the police" stuff pretty silly, but the comparison to that photo is also silly. Are we supposed to believe she's zipping in and out of traffic as described in the op? I'd be amazed if she could ride that rig faster than 10 mph, and I'm pretty sure she's not doing a lot of high speed swerving.

Any data showing they're right and we're wrong about mandatory helmets for children? Honest question,
Old 10-29-19, 07:46 AM
55murray

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
I personally never understood the child seats that attach to the main frame of the bike. I mean, bikes go down now and then. Always used a trailer for my kid.
Old 10-29-19, 08:04 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
That would have been a cause for yelling at them

Busy bodies bless your hearts.
Old 10-29-19, 08:13 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by 55murray
I personally never understood the child seats that attach to the main frame of the bike. I mean, bikes go down now and then. Always used a trailer for my kid.
They offer protection in falls. So do the bars and the rider's body. A trailer can easily be rear ended by an inattentive driver. Not much integrity to many of those things.
Old 10-29-19, 10:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
They offer protection in falls. So do the bars and the rider's body. A trailer can easily be rear ended by an inattentive driver. Not much integrity to many of those things.
It's been a long time since my kids were toddlers, but I've done both extensively. No question that the trailer made it much harder to maneuver the bike, need a bigger turn radius, and the added weight makes the riding more sluggish. On the other hand, once the kid gets on the big side of toddlerhood, there's little question that they're more comfortable in the trailer.

Safetywise, I never had an incident, and felt it was something of a wash. They were in fairly secure seats and had helmets on, so unless I rode like a complete idiot, the chances of being hurt in a fall were pretty minimal. Either the bike or the trailer is always subject to getting hit by a car, and there really isn't much effective protection from that possible except avoidance. I always had a big flag on the trailer, so there really wasn't an issue of visibility, and I studiously avoided riding in poor visibility conditions with the kids. Since some of this was done in San Francisco, that often meant resorting to the stroller and buses instead.
Old 10-29-19, 11:19 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
Please do not, in any way, obstruct or interfere with Darwin's work.
Old 10-29-19, 11:25 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
Please do not, in any way, obstruct or interfere with Darwin's work.
Someone hurting themselves I don't have much of a problem with. Hurting an innocent child, that's a different matter.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 10-29-19, 01:36 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
[T]hey replaced much of the parallel parking with bike lanes, with the weird set up car traffic ( a lane less then they're used to be, a bike lane, then: parking along the street to the right of the bike lane. I'm not that crazy about this set up, I would have left it alone, but that's NOT the point of this rant.
I think you mean your other right of the bike lane.

But a guy I saw a few days ago...he was doing most of the above...zooming along, weaving in and out of the car traffic....and he had, either on his handle bars (or was just holding it?) one of those plastic infant seats, like you see mounted to a rack over the rear wheel.
With an infant child in it. This seemed totally insane to me. I wouldn't think carrying an infant that way is EVER a good idea, but if you were doing it: shouldn't you at least slow down?!?!?!
It's okay to think that someday this man might get (and at least surely be in the running for) a Darwin award, but the tiny baby was way too young to have chosen to be there.
First, there are front child carriers.
Second, what do YOU mean by "infant child" - how old do YOU think the child is? Are you certain?

Under one year in Massachusetts they must be in a trailer (helmet optional).
Between one and four or under fourty pounds, they may be in a "baby seat," restrained, with a helmet.

Finally, is this YOUR "infant child" on their bike? If yes, you get to choose when and where your child may ride. If no, why do YOU get to choose?

(Helpful definitions from George Carlin - IDIOTS ride slower than you ride. MANIACS ride faster than you ride.)

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 11-03-19 at 10:09 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.