Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What can be done about squealing discs?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-01-13, 07:06 AM
Kimmo
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 91 Posts

I don't have much experience with discs, so I could be missing something here, but it seems to be the case that if your discs squeal you're SOL.

Is this so? It's not like you can toe-in the pads, right? And there's very little you can do about the rigidity of the caliper mounting either. Seems like the disc is the thing doing all the vibrating anyway...

I gather metallic pads are noisier than organic ones, and that's about all you have to work with, right?

Anyone have any tips?
Old 06-01-13, 08:40 AM
reptilezs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
most of the time it is a contamination issue or bed in issue. new pads and clean the rotor. then bed in the pads. metallic pads are slightly noisier as in the chirp here and there but they are quiet for the most part. metallic pads also have longer wear resistance and good initial bite. resin or organic pads are quieter and offer a little smoother braking. not as grabby.
Old 06-01-13, 08:42 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Disc brakes will often squeal until the pads are "seated". Actually, they don't seat as much as wear in, especially at the edges which cuts down on the vibration. Variations in friction on the rotor can also cause squeal, so and glazed on oil, dirt, or whatever can cause squeal. Sometimes it can be weather related, and only squeal when the relative humidity is just right (or wrong).

Auto brakes often have a number of clips to cut down on squeal, but most bike brakes don't. Start by cleaning the discs with auto brake cleaner (MEK). Do this outdoors so you don't give yourself a headache. Once the rotors are clean, the squeak should begin to go away as things settle in. Often a few hard stops helps speed the process.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-01-13, 09:07 PM
Kimmo
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 91 Posts
Cheers guys.