Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rollers: need a little expertise

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-14, 08:49 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts

I've never owned a trainer. Back when I started cycling (around 1985) I read that to be smooth one should ride rollers. So, I bought some Nashbar rollers, that I still use, and learned to ride them. Apparently to good effect because a recent training session had me spinning circles at 85% in each leg. I am told that for as 68 yr, old recreational rider this is quite good. Now, 30 yrs. later, I am thinking about a new set of rollers. In doing some research I've come across some questions for which I have no answer. For instance, apparently I set up the roller distance incorrectly. I've been riding all these years with the front wheel sitting directly atop the front roller. From what I've seen on youtube the wheel is supposed to be slightly behind the roller. True? Also, my drums are approx. 3 1/2" in diam. Do different diameters make the rollers harder/easier to ride? Is the difference in resistance only? If so, how do I decide what diameter works best for me? Any advice would be welcomed. TIA

Sorry...screwed up the title. I meant Rollers not roller. Could someone fix this? Thanks.
Old 10-18-14, 03:11 PM
howellhandmade

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Kreitlers are great. The smaller drum gives a little more resistance. I think there is an acceptable range for your front wheel position. It probably happens often that a bike's wheelbase falls somewhere between the adjustment points on a set of rollers, and slightly behind should be safer than noticeably in front.
Old 10-18-14, 05:19 PM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Different sized drums do offer different resistances. I have the Kreitler rollers, I think they are ~3 inch drums. In the other thread on rollers, you can see how I bumped up the resistance with a simple neodymium magnet. This is plenty for everything except full on sprinting.
Old 10-18-14, 05:45 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Sorry...screwed up the title. I meant Rollers not roller. Could someone fix this? Thanks.
Fixed
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 10-18-14, 05:58 PM
carpediemracing 

I've always tried to keep a couple sets of rollers but I inevitably end up "lending out" my spare set, leaving myself with the best rollers I ever had, Kreitlers from way back. Drums are in the 4" range. Reminds me, wondering if the teammate/friend that got the last set I lent out (they were new) still needs them now that he's stopped racing.

Smaller drums make for more resistance. It's about tire deformation because I've done "group indoor rides" where a half dozen of us meet up and ride trainers or rollers and talk and watch bike racing on TV (it was in a large area, 75'x25', 20' ceilings, so plenty of air). I tried out various rollers and trainers because I could. I found the smaller double-drum rollers to be counter productive for me, the resistance was too high for me to use the big ring for any length of time (i.e. more than maybe a minute or so). I found the same with the Kreitler Headwind resistance unit also made it too difficult for me to ride.

I have a low power threshold (200-220w for the last few years - in 2010 when I upgraded to Cat 2 it was 220w or so) so that's part of it. I have a teammate whose threshold is 370 watts right now. I spoke with a racer that does 5 minute intervals averaging almost 500w. Those are numbers that I can only dream of - my max power for a minute in any kind of training is in the 400-450w range, and on a trainer it's about 400w. Therefore someone with a much higher power threshold than me might not mind the smaller diameter rollers etc as much. I'm just not strong enough.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 10-18-14, 06:00 PM
carpediemracing 

For wheel position I have it slightly behind. My Kreitlers don't have a sliding adjustment thing, it's brackets at 1" intervals, so it's hit or miss on the alignment. Sometimes it's slightly behind, other times it's more than I like.

I found that if I had the front wheel at the top or in front of the roller I'd ride off the front.

I'm okay on rollers, I can't do any tricks other than stand up for short periods of time, so that's my level of fluency on them.
Old 10-18-14, 06:02 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
1. I generally have my hub above front roller but I think this is not critical.
2. What's wrong with your Nashbar rollers? I would use what you have.
Old 10-19-14, 08:01 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Fixed
Thanks.
Old 10-19-14, 08:04 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by datlas
What's wrong with your Nashbar rollers? I would use what you have.
Just the question I asked myself yesterday. Probably going to just keep riding them. They are a fold-up design so they are convenient to store.
Old 10-19-14, 08:07 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
For wheel position I have it slightly behind. My Kreitlers don't have a sliding adjustment thing, it's brackets at 1" intervals, so it's hit or miss on the alignment. Sometimes it's slightly behind, other times it's more than I like.
Same with mine. I now have it set up at slightly behind. Haven't tried it yet. Being in Tariffville, have you ever ridden with Thread City Cyclers or Pequot?
Old 10-19-14, 08:39 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
To the OP...
For form I like, and my son likes larger drums. They also are a bit nicer on the tires.
For warming up he likes the 2.25 something - the small ones, although I think a stationary portable trainer is a better warm-up tool.
For balance between the two we use the 3 1/2 and have the Hot Dog version.

Doing it again - getting one pair, I'd go large drums - as you did before. Warming up for a race, use a trainer.

If you want to add a challenge try ...training... Those are the HotDog 3 1/2 in BTW
https://vimeo.com/109371142
Old 10-19-14, 09:50 AM
bruce19

Wow! That's neat.
Old 10-19-14, 01:15 PM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I set the front roller directly under the front wheel because that's what the instructions that came with my rollers said to do. That being said, I've switched bikes to one with a shorter wheelbase before without remembering to reset the front drum, effectively placing the front drum ahead of the wheel somewhat and didn't notice a difference until I was finished and noticed it at that point. I have no comment on the size of the rollers themselves, I just ride the ones I have.
Old 10-19-14, 05:52 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by bruce19
Same with mine. I now have it set up at slightly behind. Haven't tried it yet. Being in Tariffville, have you ever ridden with Thread City Cyclers or Pequot?
I don't know either, at least in recent history. I knew a Pequot rider or two back in the day. Some of my teammates ride with TCC, in fact I think he started his cycling with them.