Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 08-19-19, 11:57 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Hard stuff hubcyclist. I would be really happy to finish that ride in the time you posted.
Old 08-19-19, 12:00 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
after 4 weeks in a sling I’m back on the bike! cleared to ride, just not cleared to race/crash.

i asked how hard i can ride and the doc said “let pain be your guide” - as any racer can imagine that was music to my ears!

upper arm muscles are a little sore, so standing/sprinting is tough, but super happy to be back in the saddle. hoping to race one or two late season races.
That's awesome. I got a similar instruction from a doc. He said that for normal people he would say not to ride, but he knew I'd ride anyway so just be aware if the pain got worse or changed.
Old 08-20-19, 06:59 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Been off the bike over a week now, on what shouldn't have been a rest week, but family and life happened and I'm not really training anyway.

Been trying to keep up with the core though because that's a big weakness. Planks, side planks, hip bridges, and squats. All body weight, nothing crazy. My wife did order a weighted bar for herself so I'll start using that for the squats and bridges.
Old 08-20-19, 11:38 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Set all kinds of PR's at Worlds, power was def on point....and my power meter didn't read anything. Wouldn't be surprised if it was 5.3 for 5 but its just make believe

Last edited by furiousferret; 08-20-19 at 11:57 PM.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 08-21-19, 07:43 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
where you goin?
I was in Crested Butte for some Bike park type riding. By the end of our 3 days of demos and fun, I was clearing the 15 foot table tops and cleaning the black downhill runs (minus this huge 40 foot step down.. took the ***** line on that one). So much fun. Convinced me to sell my xc bike and get something a bit more fun! If anyone is looking for a scalpel Si full build, hit me up, I'll give you a good deal!
Likes For Ttoc6:
Old 08-22-19, 01:48 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Monday: 2 sets of 3x3 at 350w, failure on 2nd set the 5th overall rep. Turned down the power and ground out a 6th.

Tuesday: group ride. Great NP and good surges and efforts. The damn food truck wasn't there though, boo that! Had to drive back home hungry.

Today: repeat of Monday. Success minus 15 seconds on the last rep. I'm pleased.

Making progress. Weather looks crap, lots of heat and storm chances for a while. I may bite it and get Zwift this weekend and get in a good workout on there.
Old 08-22-19, 02:56 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
2x20' last night. I thought I would try riding loops in a local city park. It's a mile loop around a municipal golf course and I've used it before because it's close to my house. When I've used it before it's usually early morning and I thought it would be quiet, at least compared to my usual local roads during rush hour. It was a circus--had to wave off 3 different cars who were going the wrong way, got caught behind a dude who was going about 20mph in his car, vaping and looking at his phone the whole time. And the geese. And the golfers.

I'm going back out to the country roads. At least out there, the tomato truck drivers are paying minimal attention.
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-23-19, 08:52 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Fiesta: Kilos with a standing start on Tuesday and yesterday, 5x30" efforts with full power roll up starts in different gears 10' RBI. The final phase of periodization.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 08-23-19, 08:53 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Flying back home today with my bike (and my 8 year old, we're traveling sans mom). Thought I'd ride more legit gravel roads after Saturday's 150mile adventure, but stuck with a flat crushed limestone trail that is really a nice resource, this particular trail goes 40miles one way, I stuck mainly to 40 total miles steady endurance for my riding this week, since this should be a lighter endurance week before more CX training.

I've been on a bit of a thing the past couple of days about a blurb I saw from Joe Friel regarding TSB, and that it should ideally be between -10 and -30, with anything above -10 leading to stagnation. In looking at my own chart and what I'd consider my best training phase, this sort of rings true with me. During two 6 week periods of sweet spot base my TSB stayed under -10 for almost 2 months (minus the recovery weeks) and since then I've done some other training but never routinely staying underneath that -10. So really once I get to next years cycle (I'm not going to do any crazy experiments during CX season), I'd really like to watch the TSB a little more closely. I've been floating this around several forums but it seems folks don't really watch their TSB very much or care about it as a metric beyond maybe making sure it doesn't dip too far. I think I got some training adaptations throughout the year from other workouts but maybe not as much as I did during the base phase when I was really having a good amount of stress and then recovery. Always fun to think about training nerd stuff
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 08-23-19, 11:44 AM
furiousferret

So I signed up for Trainerroad to help me get through the winter. When the group rides aren't going and its cold af (which = 70 around here) or raining I tend to get lost and end up with weeks with no intensity or structure. We'll see how it goes but my first race is mid January (Santa Barbara RR) so a winter break isn't going to happen.

Yesterday I woke up and realized I needed another hour. Then I had a sneezing fit that caused a sore throat. I hadn't been sick in 3? years but kinda felt on the fence. I had a 7x5m at 115% workout but ERG mode was acting up and I quit midway in. I feel fine today so the steak continues!
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 08-23-19, 11:49 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,567 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Fiesta: Kilos with a standing start on Tuesday and yesterday, 5x30" efforts with full power roll up starts in different gears 10' RBI. The final phase of periodization.
Good luck at nats @Hermes!!!!
Likes For TMonk:
Old 08-23-19, 01:10 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Good luck Hermes.

Sorry I can't make it this year, though registration numbers are pretty low in many events this year.
Old 08-23-19, 01:45 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Im riding like 4 hours a week right now, so clearly a 4.5 mile TT tonight and a crit tomorrow are excellent ideas.

Its the 50th anniversary of the club ive ridden with since I started racing, and we are doing an anniversary weekend of races with a big group ride on sunday (that I WONT be doing)
Old 08-23-19, 02:44 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I bit it and at least signed up for my trial of Zwift. Darn Wahoo app decided to start freezing, but Zwift found all my stuff eventually. Had a little 3 mile false start where I set something up wrong and the resistance wasn't acting right.

Then once I got it did the "epic kom" route for a 40min ride. ~26min? Just chose to do it SS with some under and some over to get the feel for it.

People must be "connoisseurs" of smart trainers and apps to ever complain about how realistic it is. I can see the terrain change, it gives you a % grade, and you feel it the way you pretty much should. The complaints were partly why I didn't do this sooner. Any worries were totally unwarranted.

It's addicting and will be a great way to nail the winter months. Usually in winter months I'll miss a ride per week since I don't have the work gym nearby and HATED my fluid. But this? Yeah, I'll suffer some workouts with this!

245w NP and 225 AP for the ride. Now, need to pay my way and ride enough to unlock goodies.
Old 08-23-19, 05:09 PM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I bit it and at least signed up for my trial of Zwift. Darn Wahoo app decided to start freezing, but Zwift found all my stuff eventually. Had a little 3 mile false start where I set something up wrong and the resistance wasn't acting right.

Then once I got it did the "epic kom" route for a 40min ride. ~26min? Just chose to do it SS with some under and some over to get the feel for it.

People must be "connoisseurs" of smart trainers and apps to ever complain about how realistic it is. I can see the terrain change, it gives you a % grade, and you feel it the way you pretty much should. The complaints were partly why I didn't do this sooner. Any worries were totally unwarranted.

It's addicting and will be a great way to nail the winter months. Usually in winter months I'll miss a ride per week since I don't have the work gym nearby and HATED my fluid. But this? Yeah, I'll suffer some workouts with this!

245w NP and 225 AP for the ride. Now, need to pay my way and ride enough to unlock goodies.
Make sure to sign up for the elevation challenge so you can get the TRON bike. It takes like 6 months but its the best looking bike and fastest in the game.
Old 08-23-19, 05:26 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
i mainly use zwift now for recovery rides. that will change when I start getting back to more structured training. I might start to get back into the races then.
Old 08-25-19, 07:41 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Man i hate the trainer for recovery. Always makes my hamstrings feel a bit weird.
Old 08-25-19, 08:55 PM
furiousferret

Went up Oak Glen, descended, and went up the backside. About a 180 TSS ride on top of a 150 yesterday. Feel pretty good going into a rest week at 90 CTL.

Hopefully I can end my next block at 100+ TSS into the taper for Hillclimb Worlds. I don't think my chances are very good but that's not going to stop me from showing up in top form. (This is where I have to pretend I don't care about winning because we all know I'm not in their league but I actually believe I have a chance...)

Last edited by furiousferret; 08-25-19 at 09:00 PM.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 08-26-19, 07:47 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Went for a walk yesterday. It's the first thing I've done since I crashed two weeks ago. I still have a massive, swollen lump on my hip. Anyway, it was challenging. My legs just didn't want to work. They were just shuffling along. Still, it felt good to do something.

Also, my surgery went well, and I'm not really on any pain meds for the clavicle.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 08-26-19, 09:55 AM
Yep
no cat contains

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I'm impressed.
I'm impressed too. I'd win a lot of sh*t if I could do 1000w for 20 seconds with a jump of 1400.
Old 08-26-19, 12:07 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Yep
I'm impressed too. I'd win a lot of sh*t if I could do 1000w for 20 seconds with a jump of 1400.
In my case, I'm getting dropped in the crits, just a few laps in. FTP, positioning, and racing brain are not good enough against the best in the area (cat 1s). My teammate cat 3 who has a peak power over 1600w, he can't make the break. But he's doing a lot better than me. He's not getting dropped like I am in a matter of a few minutes.
Old 08-27-19, 10:15 PM
furiousferret

Only one, maybe 2 of my Tuesday Night Worlds 'dear diary' entries left this year

For the loop, 40 minutes is considered a elite time...and that's been my goal this year. I got 40:04 It felt easier than most rides since we were putting in equal work. In the past I would get dropped on the descent from the fast groups and do 70% of the pulling up the hill. Last week I thought they were slowing for me, but apparently I've improved just enough to stay with them.

All told I put in an inefficient 5 w/kg for 5 minutes and 4.6 for 12:30 (bottom of hill to descent). Gassed myself closing gaps and a lot of rotating; so I may be able to hold that (or improve it) in a 20 minute test. I've been doing this since 2013 and up to 2017 I've cracked 4 w/kg maybe a handful of times, so I'm still in awe that I'm actually able to hit those numbers and ride with guys who are 10 levels above me...they look at me like, 'who tf is this guy?'

Cool down lap, taken by a teammate. Pink is the new black!

Originally Posted by Radish_legs
In my case, I'm getting dropped in the crits, just a few laps in. FTP, positioning, and racing brain are not good enough against the best in the area (cat 1s). My teammate cat 3 who has a peak power over 1600w, he can't make the break. But he's doing a lot better than me. He's not getting dropped like I am in a matter of a few minutes.
Some of the guys out there just know how to ride, on the TNW's there are a handful of them that are just so efficient they're probably doing 20% less work....you're going to have to figure that out.

Go on that bike path you guys always race on with 2 dudes and make sure 1 is faster than you. Have him rail the course, try to follow and have the 3rd guy record you. Try to get a few side shots too. Even if it doesn't expose any bad habits it will probably help out because it'll show you can corner tighter. For me a teammate told me I was riding forward too much and that little change (sitting back more) helped immensely.

Edit: that course may not be technical enough, find something were you have to corner tight.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 08-28-19, 05:54 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
I'd say cxiscoming, but it's here! I'm not doing a couple of these early races because they require 2+ hr drives, and there's so much within an hour of me, I don't have a huge desire to spend that much time in the car. Sept 7-8 will be my big first weekend

I did 15-15 intervals. The thing I've been noticing, especially in looking back at some of my workouts from April, is how much my indoor conditions are affecting my workouts. I was hitting wattages and durations in April that right now are much more difficult due to the warmer temp/humidity. I guess I'd never noticed before because I never got that high so didn't know there was anything to come down from lol

So hopefully once I'm out at the races and fall really hits, I'll be hitting some of that power again. Whether that's the difference between pretty good and a force to be reckoned, I have no clue.
Old 08-28-19, 06:01 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
I'd say cxiscoming, but it's here! I'm not doing a couple of these early races because they require 2+ hr drives, and there's so much within an hour of me, I don't have a huge desire to spend that much time in the car. Sept 7-8 will be my big first weekend

I did 15-15 intervals. The thing I've been noticing, especially in looking back at some of my workouts from April, is how much my indoor conditions are affecting my workouts. I was hitting wattages and durations in April that right now are much more difficult due to the warmer temp/humidity. I guess I'd never noticed before because I never got that high so didn't know there was anything to come down from lol

So hopefully once I'm out at the races and fall really hits, I'll be hitting some of that power again. Whether that's the difference between pretty good and a force to be reckoned, I have no clue.
That's kind of surprising that even for short durations, your indoor is better than outdoor.

I have way more trouble cooling myself inside than outside, unless it's over about 100 with humidity. The natural motion of the bike outside also makes it easier for me to hit numbers I think.
Old 08-28-19, 05:08 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Went for a walk yesterday. It's the first thing I've done since I crashed two weeks ago. I still have a massive, swollen lump on my hip. Anyway, it was challenging. My legs just didn't want to work. They were just shuffling along. Still, it felt good to do something.

Also, my surgery went well, and I'm not really on any pain meds for the clavicle.
That may be a closed internal degloving similar to a morel-lavallee lesion. If so it will take a long time to disappear.
https://radiopaedia.org/articles/mor...allee-lesion-1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.