Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bar tape tape

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bar tape tape

Old 11-05-19, 10:32 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Bar tape tape

I re-wrapped my handlebar this weekend, and didn't finish it with electrical tape -- a first!

After previous wrappings, I'd use the tape included in most bar tape boxes, and then to make sure it held, give it a wrap or two of electrical tape. This time, I forgot where I'd put the electrical tape. What was in the box was long enough to make almost two wraps, more than I remember from previous wrappings. It's held for two whole days now.

What's other people's experience with the tape-that-comes-in-the-box? How well does it hold, is it really long enough, and does it hold on its own?
Old 11-05-19, 11:14 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
I find the included strip of tape is not flexible enough to make a clean cover for the end of the handlebar tape. Electrical tape usually looks better, and is available in many colours from the dollar store.

Another option is to finish the wrap in twine or string...

https://www.rivbike.com/pages/handle...d-twine-finish
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 11-05-19, 11:28 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I also found the included finishing tape is too rigid to make a smooth wrap so I still use electrical tape. I tried the silicone self-adhering tape I've seen suggested here but found it curls up at the edges too easily so it doesn't stay put.
Old 11-05-19, 11:56 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 235 Posts
It varies—some works fine, others not. I usually don't like the loud logos on it, and enjoy finding colored electrical tape to match an accent color on the bike.
Likes For cpach:
Old 11-05-19, 01:24 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
I don't use adhesive tape (especially electrical tape) to secure the bar tape. In an unconventional method, I start at the top and wrap down. When I get to the end of the bars...I tuck the excess into the bar, and insert the bar end stopper to hold it. Been doing it that way for years with not problems.

I've seen some (actually did this on one of my bikes) who will start at the top, wrap down the the break lever, then using another piece, wrap from the bottom up to the brake lever. Then, secure it all under the hood. No adhesive tape showing anywhere.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 11-05-19, 01:55 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
For the past few years, I’ve been using black shrink tape to finish off my wraps. I cut a 3/4” piece and slide it on the bar up to the stem (I have to remove the brakes, of course). Then I do the wrap and secure the tag ends with a small piece of tape, slide the shrink tape over the end, and heat it up. Looks great and holds perfectly. You’ll have to measure your bars to see what diameter you’ll need - I use the 2” size.

gallery
Old 11-05-19, 02:29 PM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
my experience is that it doesn‘t hold. Therefore i double up with a color matched zip tie.
Old 11-05-19, 03:00 PM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Electrical tape, or any tape that has adhesive, is a thing of the past. People are using self-fusing silicon tape to finish their bar wraps these days. No adhesive at all: it simply naturally fuses to itself.
Likes For AndreyT:
Old 11-05-19, 03:16 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I don't use adhesive tape (especially electrical tape) to secure the bar tape. In an unconventional method, I start at the top and wrap down. When I get to the end of the bars...I tuck the excess into the bar, and insert the bar end stopper to hold it. Been doing it that way for years with not problems.
The only reason I ever started wrapping from bottom to top was when I bought a Scott aero bar in the early '90s and needed to install/remove it easily. I never had any edge curling issues while going bottom to top.
Old 11-05-19, 03:33 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreyT
Electrical tape, or any tape that has adhesive, is a thing of the past. People are using self-fusing silicon tape to finish their bar wraps these days. No adhesive at all: it simply naturally fuses to itself.
As I mentioned in my posting above, I tried that tape and found when I rode with my hands on the bar tops I would catch the edges which tended to curl up and slip even if the tape were pulled as tight as it would tolerate. I suppose it works if you only ride the hoods or the drops.
Old 11-05-19, 03:51 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by ddeand
For the past few years, I’ve been using black shrink tape to finish off my wraps. I cut a 3/4” piece and slide it on the bar up to the stem (I have to remove the brakes, of course). Then I do the wrap and secure the tag ends with a small piece of tape, slide the shrink tape over the end, and heat it up. Looks great and holds perfectly. You’ll have to measure your bars to see what diameter you’ll need - I use the 2” size.
Brilliant. I find most electrical tapes, especially the dollar-store variety, to not stick well and to shift leaving grungy adhesive exposed. Will try this next time.
Old 11-05-19, 04:17 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Never had a problem with electrical tape not sticking or leaving residue, but I only use 3m Super 88
Old 11-05-19, 04:45 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Never had a problem with electrical tape not sticking or leaving residue, but I only use 3m Super 88
Yes, it's like the difference between store brand duct tape and Duck(TM) tape.
Old 11-05-19, 04:54 PM
AndreyT

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
It is more of a matter of wrapping technique. The trick is to stretch the first loops of the tape (to make it conform) and keep the last loop or two relaxed to prevent creep. Too much stretch in the last loop, and any tape will creep and likely leave residue, no matter how good it is.
Old 11-05-19, 08:18 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreyT
Wow ! Just learned something new, thanks for the tip. Heading to Home Depot , tomorrow. KB
Old 11-05-19, 08:28 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts

Haven't used the 88, but 33+, being much thinner, should be better.
Old 11-05-19, 08:54 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I've given up on commercial bicycle handlebar tape due to its expense, thickness, fast wear, and difficulty securing the ends by the reinforcing sleeve of the handlebar. I now use Renfrew Brand Hockey Tape to wrap my bars. When I get the tape up to the reinforcing sleeve i just carefully cut the tap as it is and push it down onto the bar. This tape sticks really well and is hard to find the end of later it I want to unwrap the handlebar for any reason. I don't regret using it on any of my bikes as it's quite durable.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 11-06-19, 09:42 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
I have found that the tape that comes with SupaCaz is awesome and superior to electrical tape (at least on the version I have).
Old 11-06-19, 11:48 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
I use electrical tape for a good tight adhesion, and then cover that with the decorative stuff not too tight.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 11-06-19, 05:42 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Haven't used the 88, but 33+, being much thinner, should be better.
really, either are interchangeable, the adhesive is the same. I like the super 88 better because you can get away with like 2 wraps around the tape to secure. I also don't overlap onto the bar itself so don't need it to conform to anything really
Old 11-06-19, 06:02 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Brilliant. I find most electrical tapes, especially the dollar-store variety, to not stick well and to shift leaving grungy adhesive exposed. Will try this next time.
Electrical tape of any kind, sometimes have questionable adhesion. You can find the same tape at the dollar store, gas station, walmart and the hardware store. There is a fix to that and a subtle function of the tape itself; heat. etape almost acts like shrink wrap. You either use a torch lighter or heat up a flathead or something to lay on the end to fuse it to itself.

Another trick I learned is to wrap the bar with etape sticky side up, bottom to the lever. So if you take a spill or otherwise rip the bartape, it just won't come off. It does (etape)work better under tension, like bartape if it isn't stretched too far.
Old 11-06-19, 06:06 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Silicone tape is my new goto. Only sticks to itself, easily removable, leaves no residue, does not creep, and keeps the bar tape reusable if you ever need to remove or rewrap it.
Old 11-06-19, 06:08 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_

I've seen some (actually did this on one of my bikes) who will start at the top, wrap down the the break lever, then using another piece, wrap from the bottom up to the brake lever. Then, secure it all under the hood. No adhesive tape showing anywhere.

Dan
I like that idea.
Old 11-06-19, 06:15 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Trying to understand why if there even was residue, who cares. It's either covered up by your next wrap or covered by your tape. 3M electrical tape has no issues 'not sticking'.
Old 11-06-19, 06:23 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Trying to understand why if there even was residue, who cares. It's either covered up by your next wrap or covered by your tape. 3M electrical tape has no issues 'not sticking'.
I think people are referring to electrical tape residue when the tape slips or moves from cheap electrical tape, I've seen it on other bikes. Makes for a mess on top/sides of the finishing electrical tape and can even get on your hands/gloves

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.