Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

I have tested a Lauf Grit SL suspension fork

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 10-11-19, 10:30 AM
sweetspot

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

As you may already know I am a huge fun of any comfort improvements that are available on the gravel market and Lauf Grit SL promises to be one of the best one so I really wanted to test it and finally I did.

First things first: it works but to get most of it you need to keep the tire air pressure low. Why? Because it uses a springs that basically do not absorb the energy but releases it to the tire and frame (rider). So if you ride on a firm tire then most of the energy will go directly to you but just use a supple tire like mine Soma Cazadero 700x42c and run it at 30 psi to really enjoy the benefits of Lauf Grit fork. I also added a Redshift Shockstop stem to mitigate even more energy generated by Lauf and in this setup I have a vey comfortable gravel bike. Comfortable and in the same time a fun bike because Lauf Fork is also stiff and precise when needed. And it has a really HUGE tire clerance. I put a Schwalbe Thunder Burt 27,5 2,25 tire in it and there was still a tons of space between tire and fork (but I would not go any further because on bigger bumps the tire could start scratching the fork).

Two more things I have observed:

- Riding on the tops is the least beneficial. It seems that the more weight you put on the handlebar the better for the Lauf (it feels more like a suspension and less like a spring)

- it makes a noise in a strong wind you can definetely hear some sort of whistle due to its unique construction.

If you have any questions about this fork just ask me. And if you want to find out more just read my review: https://gravelbikes.cc/tests/lauf-gr...n-fork-review/
Old 10-11-19, 10:49 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I don't know anyone who runs 60psi offroad. I don't even run that much pressure when I'm riding my gravel bike strictly on the pavement and I'm 84kg. Looks like barely any improvement at 30psi, which is a much more reasonable offroad pressure. Doesn't seem worth the cost to me, but glad you like it.
Old 10-11-19, 11:08 AM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
I found it to springy for my tastes. Rode it side by side to the Fox AX and found the Fox is better for me because you can tune for weight plus compression and rebound.
Old 10-11-19, 02:32 PM
sweetspot

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
I don't know anyone who runs 60psi offroad. I don't even run that much pressure when I'm riding my gravel bike strictly on the pavement and I'm 84kg. Looks like barely any improvement at 30psi, which is a much more reasonable offroad pressure. Doesn't seem worth the cost to me, but glad you like it.
yes it was just for the sake of testing (I wanted to now how much Lauf Grit helps when the tire is stiff). And I like it but after I lowered the tire pressure and put a shockstop stem to allievate the bounciness of the fork itself.

Originally Posted by gus6464
I found it to springy for my tastes. Rode it side by side to the Fox AX and found the Fox is better for me because you can tune for weight plus compression and rebound.
Yes, it feel springy because it uses a springs But like I said the more weight you put on the handlebar the more suspension like it feels. And I am looking forward to the possibility to test something like Fox AX and compare the vibrations reading with Lauf fork. It could be very interesting and who knows, maybe I will switch Lauf for AX like you did
Old 10-11-19, 05:22 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
interesting to see that the Redshift stem is as effective as the fork, I have being using the stem for about 6 month now, it really is a game changer
Old 10-15-19, 10:28 PM
Fangowolf

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT / Motobecane Fhantom CX 105 / Giant Cypress ST / EZ Sport AX / Trisled Touring Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So what would it do with 300 lbs on the bike?
Old 10-30-19, 07:38 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Fangowolf
So what would it do with 300 lbs on the bike?
It would be out of warranty as the fork is rated to 225 lbs. or so I believe.

I am a recent convert to the lauf Grit as a gravel fork when on rough stuff. It is incredible at keeping the tire in contact with the surface, absorbing moderate hits, damping washboard, etc. so you can go A LOT FASTER on decents and stay comfortably in control. I have used a ShockStop as well (separately) and found the Lauf to be more effective as it keeps the impacts from even hitting the frame, not just your bars and tha dampens a lot more for riding comfort. The Lauf also is far better at keeping the tire in contact with the road surface than the shockstop which is a huge advantage in fast gravel riding. And on smooth pavement there is no disadvantage to the lauf as well (other than a bit of extra weight). It has no bob when accelerating and is incredibly comfortable... The older and more brittle your bones, the more the Lauf makes sense; you 20 somethingers will have no idea what I am talking about until you are in your fifties however.