Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How the mighty have fallen

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-15-19, 08:15 PM
notenoughdaylig 

Bikes: atala cromor salsa las cruces slingshot boomtube merckx mxm

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts

i was browsing CL and came across a "Colnago" flat bar road bike with shimano claris. I thought it was someone being cute and rebadging some cheap city bike. I was wrong. One can now obtain a new Colnago with lowly Claris stock. Et tu Brutus?
Old 10-15-19, 08:52 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
What does offering affordable city bikes have to do with "the mighty" "falling"? Is a C64 somehow less magnificent for sharing a decal design with lots of bikes that cost less?

I don't see what you're getting at.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 10-15-19, 09:04 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
What does offering affordable city bikes have to do with "the mighty" "falling"? Is a C64 somehow less magnificent for sharing a decal design with lots of bikes that cost less?

I don't see what you're getting at.
Yeah, it kind of does.

Having affordable city bikes makes them more like Toyota. Sure, there are high end Lexus models, but that’s isn’t what is seen most often. Ferrari makes expensive cars only. I can count the amount of Ferrari’s I have seen in person on two hands. That adds to the aura of Ferrari being a ultra exclusive high end manufacturer.

I don’t personally buy into high end exclusive brands, but I don’t deny that they exist. Rolex, Hermès, etc.

Raleigh, Schwinn and others all made very high end bikes. Those manufacturers do not enjoy the same level of prestige as Colnago.
Likes For mkeller234:
Old 10-15-19, 09:28 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 217 Posts
Alfa Romeo has made some pretty nice economy cars without sullying their brand.
It's only bad if the fancy italian companies budget offering is just all round worse than vanilla competitors plus the flash name.
Cinelli for example moved downmarket for the fixie crowd but actually made/makes some nice bikes for what they are.
Plus for Colnago the most important thing is that they stay at the top, not that they don't enter the bottom. They currently have a worldtour team riding their bikes but it's probably pretty tenuous compared to the big guys.
Same issue as Campagnolo. Having Centaur/veloce/mirage whatever doesn't hurt them, but if they stopped winning races at the top level they'd be dead.

Also Colnagos have always been absolutely hideous garish bikes so making hybrids suits the company.
Old 10-15-19, 09:40 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Only a matter of time before an aging Jan Heine puts out a René Herse e-bike.
Likes For scarlson:
Old 10-15-19, 09:50 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
You know the French had e bikes all figured out in 1938
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 10-15-19, 09:51 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Nah, it'll be an airplane.
Old 10-15-19, 10:14 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
Good Popcorn thread.

I'll say = Colnago never even built the best Italian bikes.
And if that Claris equipped Colnago City Bike sells for 3X a Claris equipped Raleigh City then clearly:
The Mighty have Leveraged their Might (or snob appeal, as the case may be).
Old 10-15-19, 10:21 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I'm envisioning a Velosolex with an old 6v glass-jar battery, an old induction motor, and a mercury arc thyratron tube above the front wheel in place of the usual two-stroke and fuel tank

You wouldn't need a headlight because of the tube's blue UV glow. Jan would write glowingly about this "feature".
Old 10-16-19, 06:24 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
The more choices the better.

Good on Colnago for expanding their market reach.

If it sells, great. If not, oh well.

Let notions of grandeur, mystique, and "soul of the bike/builder" go.

They never existed.

I mean, at one time you could have spent mucho $ on a top of the line Italian bike and felt all fuzzy and romantic.

Or, you could have bought an Ironman and been just as competitive.
Old 10-16-19, 06:33 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Claris may be low end but it's great value and that Claris drivetrain will perform better than any Campagnolo drivetrain on a "golden era" Colnago. Same with the Claris/Sora disc brake combination. If you really want to judge, you should be focusing on the cost concessions of the frameset. And speaking of e-bikes, Colnago offers them too.
Old 10-16-19, 06:41 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Rotten name though, it sounds like a small cheap economy car. How about renaming it "Shimano Echelon"? Or a Hispanicized name like "Shimano Camino". Who are these guys paying to name their groupsets anyway?
Old 10-16-19, 07:20 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I'm envisioning a Velosolex with an old 6v glass-jar battery, an old induction motor, and a mercury arc thyratron tube above the front wheel in place of the usual two-stroke and fuel tank

You wouldn't need a headlight because of the tube's blue UV glow. Jan would write glowingly about this "feature".
And they'd be lighter than modern e-bikes too. Any weight would lower the center of gravity to keep the bike more stable while still allowing appropriate planing.

Last edited by himespau; 10-16-19 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-16-19, 07:47 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 386 Times in 149 Posts
Originally Posted by Soody
It's only bad if the fancy italian companies budget offering is just all round worse than vanilla competitors plus the flash name.
Cinelli for example moved downmarket for the fixie crowd but actually made/makes some nice bikes for what they are.
Plus for Colnago the most important thing is that they stay at the top, not that they don't enter the bottom. They currently have a worldtour team riding their bikes but it's probably pretty tenuous compared to the big guys.
Same issue as Campagnolo. Having Centaur/veloce/mirage whatever doesn't hurt them, but if they stopped winning races at the top level they'd be dead.

Also Colnagos have always been absolutely hideous garish bikes so making hybrids suits the company.
I went through 3 of the original green Suds back in the day, still have them but rotting in a field now. Awesome cars, no one with there V8's or rotarys could stay with me in the hills. But still have an absolutely mint Sud Sprint sitting in the garage with the daily driver 33
Old 10-16-19, 07:58 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
My very hideous, undesirable, unwanted, unloved, low class Colnagos.

Haters will always hate.

Old 10-16-19, 08:10 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 686 Posts
Most European brands had (or still have) more practical city/commuter models in their lineup for decades. Europeans don't seem to mind as much.
If anything they might be more desirable if they managed to include some of the knowledge and skill of their high-end models into the lower end.

My girlfriend's "Champion Mondial" 90's hybrid is a pretty nice bike.

I mean Bianchi has been making some pretty nice 'English Roadster' 3-speed bikes since the 40's. 1940's Bianchi - ClassicCycleus

From the time when bikes were just bikes.

Originally Posted by mkeller234
Yeah, it kind of does.

Having affordable city bikes makes them more like Toyota. Sure, there are high end Lexus models, but that’s isn’t what is seen most often. Ferrari makes expensive cars only. I can count the amount of Ferrari’s I have seen in person on two hands. That adds to the aura of Ferrari being a ultra exclusive high end manufacturer.
They certainly have dipped their toes into the more affordable end of the market:
Cheapest Ferrari - Autowise

I mean the Ferrari 400i, Mondial or 456 GT could be any generic other model from its time. Granted, some of those were the equivalent of $100,000 in today's money when they were introduced, but you can see lots of cars like that (similar price range) driving around in most cities.

Last edited by JaccoW; 10-16-19 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-16-19, 08:15 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 399 Posts
While lower-price-point, higher volume products can help keep the doors open, perhaps wisest to sell those under a new, different brand name.

Reportedly a real jewel; also reportedly they started rusting while still on the production line.

Old 10-16-19, 08:45 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 110 Posts
Yep. They were never as good as they used to be.
Old 10-16-19, 09:56 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,067 Times in 635 Posts
First World problem.
Old 10-16-19, 11:04 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
Take a look at the NEW bike line from Peukeot. And they even attempt to sell by marketing its rich racing history. Ha
Old 10-16-19, 11:21 AM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 144 Posts
This issue is not exclusive to bikes. Remember when owning a BMW or Benz was a big deal? Now they are built by child labour in some forsaken third world country and bought by image conscious boobs everywhere. Where I live, I see 'Masis' riding around everywhere. Of course they have nothing to do with geniune Masis. Globalisation has not led to a renaissance of quality consumer products, quite the opposite in fact.
Old 10-16-19, 11:52 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by VtwinVince
This issue is not exclusive to bikes. Remember when owning a BMW or Benz was a big deal? Now they are built by child labour in some forsaken third world country and bought by image conscious boobs everywhere. Where I live, I see 'Masis' riding around everywhere. Of course they have nothing to do with geniune Masis. Globalisation has not led to a renaissance of quality consumer products, quite the opposite in fact.
Yeah, I've seen the Masi BSO's rolling around. I believe you can buy a Masi for like $350 now... Cheapens the brand for sure, even of the vintage bikes. Tell a person you have a Masi now, and they are not impressed. However, I believe the ownership is actually the same, or related. The difference is that they apply the brand to cheap factory bikes now.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 10-16-19, 12:20 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by VtwinVince
+1
Proudly having the gunsight on the hood, my fave series of MB was the W123. Beastly tanks powered by diesels or the petrol powered baddy 6.9L.
Old 10-16-19, 06:24 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Originally Posted by jbchybridrider
I went through 3 of the original green Suds back in the day, still have them but rotting in a field now. Awesome cars, no one with there V8's or rotarys could stay with me in the hills. But still have an absolutely mint Sud Sprint sitting in the garage with the daily driver 33
nice!
yeah they are fantastic cars, i had a sprint qv for a few years.
Old 10-16-19, 06:26 PM
Soody

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Yeah, I've seen the Masi BSO's rolling around. I believe you can buy a Masi for like $350 now... Cheapens the brand for sure, even of the vintage bikes. Tell a person you have a Masi now, and they are not impressed. However, I believe the ownership is actually the same, or related. The difference is that they apply the brand to cheap factory bikes now.
I think just about everyone is impressed by a sexy classic italian road bike when they see it
Likes For Soody:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.