Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Where do I find replacement chainrings for this bike?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-19, 08:29 PM
dukes909

Bikes: Riv Atlantis, Specialized Hardrock, old lugged bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Novara Randonee 2006
and need new chainrings but am not sure where to find ones that work. The REI page says that this bike has Shimano Deore 26/36/48, the crank says Hollowtech and "Mega9".

Here is the crank and chainrings. I feel like I can replace these if I can just locate ones that will work, but my google-fu is only coming up with complete cranksets (I did have the bb replaced a while back so I don't think I need a new one).

Thanks for any help finding these parts!
Cheers
Dukester
Old 10-17-19, 09:31 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
I have a two ring setup on my Specialized Crosstrail Hybrid and it was a long road to finding the chain rings that could be used to replace them. The small chain ring turned out not to bad and I found one with the correct teeth and BCD from SRAM. BCD is a part of your quest and here is a link on that:

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...e-diameter-bcd

And you have to decide on a steel ring or aluminum. I had a steel small ring and aluminum large ring. I was only able to find an aluminum small ring.

For the large chain ring, it was very tough to find one that maintained my chain line. Another factor in all of this when you put the chain rings back on. The large chain ring also had a set of ramps and pins for shifting and I wanted to have that also. Many large chain rings did not have that. In the end I found one from Shimano, but I had ordered two that did not work out. I even enlisted my local LBS that sold me the bicycle and there reply was replace the whole crank. They even recommended changing the bottom bracket from a taper to something newer. Now that I have done it, I probably should have replaced the crank and bottom bracket like the LDS recommended. Currently it all shifts fine, but the chain line is slightly off and when I turn the crank backwards on the smallest cog in the rear, the chain shifts up and jams the derailleur. Or when I installed the crank I over tighten the crank bolt and moved the chain line in slightly. A taper bottom bracket is finicky in my opinion. I also emailed Specialized to see if they could point me to a supplier and they responded, we do not do that. Chain rings are one of the mysteries of bicycle maintenance that has no standard or reason. Every other part on a bicycle is usually easy to find.

Last edited by themp; 10-17-19 at 09:37 PM.
Likes For themp:
Old 10-17-19, 09:57 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Hollowtech and Mega are Shimano trademarks. There is a Mega-9 drive train. There is also a Mega-9 Lite. I think that they're different. Yours looks like a "Lite". If so other Mega-9 Lite components should work. If you can't get chainrings for that crank, you should be able to find a very similar hollowtech crank.

Try: https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ.../FC-M4050.html

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 10-17-19 at 10:05 PM.
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 10-17-19, 10:05 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Also check out: https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-FC-M5...-goods&sr=1-26
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 10-18-19, 10:08 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by dukes909
I have a Novara Randonee 2006
and need new chainrings
You may find it more economical to source a new crankset than separate rings.
Old 10-18-19, 03:10 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
I agree that its more economical to source a new crankset, but if you want new chainrings, they should be 64/104 BCD 4 arm chainrings. The small chainring will be a 64mm BCD(bolt circle diameter) and the large and middle rings will be 104mm BCD. In theory, any 4 arm 64/104 chainrings should work(as long as they are all from the same Mfg.), but this link is to some Shimano ones. https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...8&category=648