Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Stealth Camping

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Stealth Camping

Old 08-11-18, 05:23 PM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Stealth Camping

It seems like most on this list like, Stealth Camping. why?? My problem has always been, where do you get water and a hot shower?
Old 08-11-18, 06:10 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
I would actually say that few on this board stealth camp.
They probably have stealth camped but choose not, because it is generally easy not to.
Old 08-11-18, 06:27 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
People on this board like to talk about stealth camping. NTTAWWT
Old 08-11-18, 06:59 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 176 Posts
Slightly off-topic, but a question to the OP: It seems like you start a lot more threads than ever replying to any threads including your own. Why?
Old 08-11-18, 08:08 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Much depends on prevailing wind conditions and the distance between start and next opportunity for next potential paid-for accom facility. On tour in Australia and Europe, I have done a fair number of suitable roadside or bush camping without disturbing others, including government..
Old 08-12-18, 03:22 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,487 Times in 7,316 Posts
Old 08-12-18, 03:41 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
why stealth camp?.....well, after a long day on the katy, there ain't nothing better than scoochin' into the woods and setting up camp where noone can find ya's. ya can build a big ol' campfire and blast the melodeon all night long! jus' you an'yer trusty stomach steinway....it don't get no better'n this!

Old 08-12-18, 09:13 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Hot shower? Hmm. Could boil water, use a stream or lake, really nice here in New England after a hot day pedaling. If you are asking those questions, I think you are missing the whole point. Water? Try some filters or such.
Old 08-12-18, 10:57 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
It seems like most on this list like, Stealth Camping. why??
My problem has always been, where do you get water and a hot shower?
One doesn't do it every night, silly, (like backpack-hiking, for days..
out into the mountains)

you mix a wild camping night, with a hostel or motel night,
commercial campground and so forth . as you go along..

I have ordered breakfast in a cafe , washing up in their WC ,
while it's being prepared.

Old 08-12-18, 11:54 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
Carry your water from your last source. If you plan on getting surface water, carry a means to purify.

Wash up when you can, perhaps in a public restroom at the end of the day. If the weather's warm, do some laundry then too, wear the clothes dry.

And it won't kill you to skip a day of washing--sort of goes with the whole idea of that kind of camping.
Old 08-12-18, 03:15 PM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
A solar shower has been my solution/ makes it possible to keep decent hygiene. Typically, I use the shower in town, supply up with more water and end up camping somewhere outside of town.
Old 08-12-18, 06:19 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Same water sources as a touring rider needs for drinking - as mentioned, just load up at the very end of the day on your way to stealth camp. Ideally I like hit camp with 4L... 1L evening shower (cold is fine, I use my dirty Sawyer bladder and a spare cap with holes drilled it); 2L for dinner, bfast, dental hygiene, evening cocktail; and 1L to ride out with next morning. As temps drop, heat water on stove, and/or switch to sponge baths. Same routine backpacking. I have a miserable night when caked with the day's dried sweat.
Old 08-12-18, 07:00 PM
zacharyhoyt

Bikes: 1998 Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Every year I get a week off from work, and I use it to go to the Adirondacks on my bicycle. I much prefer at-large camping to staying in a campground, and here it's legal on state lands within the park as long as you're 150 feet from the road, a trail or water. I always prefer to camp near a lake or river so I can swim and get relatively clean that way, and I filter my water or bring it from a spigot in a town if I can find one. I like the quiet of dispersed camping, the one time I stayed in a campground there were so many people around that it was hard to sleep soundly. I have not tried stealth camping in the sense of illegally camping and trying not to be seen, that would presumably come with its own set of issues and I wouldn't want to do it.
Zach
Old 08-13-18, 06:11 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by zacharyhoyt
...I always prefer to camp near a lake or river so I can swim and get relatively clean that way,,,,
I agree there's an attraction to water-side camping, but after many dry camps, I find I sleep better away from the water. Usually fewer people, fewer bugs, fewer animals after your food, lower humidity (less dew in the morning), and often warmer temps. I'll stop at that lake or river to clean up, stock up on water, take in the view, then leave and find a high, dry, breezy site to camp.
Old 08-13-18, 06:23 AM
axolotl

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
slightly off-topic, but a question to the op: It seems like you start a lot more threads than ever replying to any threads including your own. Why?
+1
Old 08-13-18, 07:50 AM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For many its a bit of a pipe dream. Many who want to leave it all behind and wander for weeks or months don't have much. of course the reality is it costs money to travel evn by especially by bike. 30 days of food and gear to cross the US vs a $500 plane ticket but its about the journey and the wander. Those who actually tour have the dedication and fortitude to hold real jobs, go for a week or two a year or are so well off or young they can pick up and go for longer. As much as its a test touring is about freedom and adventure mixed with nature and to some extent living off the land or at least living on the road.
Old 08-13-18, 02:29 PM
bikenh

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
Slightly off-topic, but a question to the OP: It seems like you start a lot more threads than ever replying to any threads including your own. Why?
VERY off topic...Why is it as a beginner, no matter what topic you are talking about you are expected to know everything? Why should someone reply to threads they know nothing about? If you don't know much about a topic, how can you be expected to give any decent input on a subject?

I remember quite a few years back when I was just starting back into biking and i was looking around at different message boards, some I flat out walked away from because they wanted me to post 5 messages before I could ever ask a question. I was suppose to waste my/everyone who read the messages time, bandwidth, etc just to get 5 messages posted before I could ever ask a question on something I wanted more information on. I walked away from those message boards. I knew I didn't know what I was talking about, so why I should I be posting anything other than questions. Sounds like a pretty stupid concept to me.

Now if the poster doesn't reply back to ask/clarify more...then you got yourself some vital things to discuss. I'm not saying anything in particular about this poster as I generally don't follow/pay attention to user names, so I don't watch posting history behavior or anything like that.

Just something to think about.
Old 08-13-18, 04:25 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I like to stealth camp when I ride solo. That way I only have to take care of me. I choose to stealth camp in State forests and town lands, as well as national forests - anything besides private land. Hot showers are nice, but a wet washcloth and a little Dr. Bronner does the job quite nicely. I don't carry a stove, so no worries about cooking odors and/or wood smoke. Solo bliss.

If I have a partner, we stay at campgrounds/campsites. Otherwise, I take my Missus. She was was never taken camping when she was a kid, so consequently its very difficult to get her to sleep in a tent. BTDT... waaay too many times. Easier just to dee up some cash and get a room at an inn or B&B - which she really enjoys. It is what it is, and to be frank, I enjoy it as well. Its just not the same as seeing the sun come up over the ridge and being out in the wild.
Old 08-13-18, 04:50 PM
axolotl

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
According to the Advance Search tool, the OP has (as of this moment) started 288 threads, yet has only posted 130 other times. In other words, most of the time s/he starts new threads and then disappears. That sounds like trolling to me.
Old 08-15-18, 03:40 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 98 Posts
I prefer not to pitch my tent when sleeping in the wild unless it rains or there are too many bugs, as I’m a stargazer.
Commercial campsites are often way too lit up for me, and I love the quiet and solitude of wild camping.

Finding water, cleaning up etc, I work out as I go along. I do tend to stay close to the sea, and sleep on beaches...
Old 08-15-18, 01:04 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
It seems like most on this list like, Stealth Camping. why?? My problem has always been, where do you get water and a hot shower?
You bring your water with you and you don't have a hot shower. Or, if you're seriously remote and well prepared, you filter some water from a natural source.

I suspect that there are some who stealth camp regularly and have their own cleaning methods. I have only done it a few times, and it's always been in between established campsites, so one night in the woods without a shower is not the end of the world. I try to have some wet wipes on hand for a quick sponge bath, and I clean up a little better at the first restroom I come across. I do have a water bladder that can be used as a portable shower, but I have found that situations where I might want to use the shower are also situations where I might value the extra drinking water more, so I haven't used the shower much.
Old 08-15-18, 07:10 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Never stealth camped and it sounds like it may just invite trouble someday. Guess I should try it, but not south of the Mason-Dixon line!
Old 08-16-18, 01:05 AM
ricrunner

Bikes: Malvern Star Oppy S1 Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
For showering I bring a Do-Dad that I think was invented by an Aussie that attaches to a drink bottle of any size with mouth sizes up 50mm, I usually use a dedicated 1 litre bottle and can get 15 minutes out of it. It has a valve that you just lightliy pull out and a few minute holes in the head. It was expensive at $25 but very useful. I do not need to stealth camp here as not really required to do, but if I am within 15 km of a town or city, you have to do it, as camping inside that zone usually incurs the wrath of a ranger. I camp 995 of the time as prefer not to pay. Will use a caravan park when need a decent shower or laundry or power to charge, although have a solar panel and battery 35000ma.
Old 08-16-18, 07:40 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,487 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Never stealth camped and it sounds like it may just invite trouble someday. Guess I should try it, but not south of the Mason-Dixon line!
The problem with these types of threads (you usually get one or more every year) is that "stealth camping" means different things to different people. For example, with some restrictions/rules, you can legally camp on much (if not most) undeveloped (i.e., outside of established campgrounds) U.S.F.S. land. Same with some state forests in some states. Stealth camping to someone else may mean camping or private or public land where camping is not permitted.

I stealth camped/trespassed once. Last year. Private nature center maybe 10 miles from my house. Wanted to get out of the city to try view a meteor shower in the middle of the night. I didn't care for the experience. I didn't like sneaking around and having to rush out early the next day to avoid the possibility of being discovered. The only thing redeeming about it was that shortly after I pitched my tent, a nearby fox started screaming.
Old 08-16-18, 08:06 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
I'm waiting to hear back from the Colorado Kid.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.