Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Regular Commuter, now Day Care

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Regular Commuter, now Day Care

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-18, 07:18 PM
beaconsbeacon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Darth Lefty;20083583]Yes, he's confusing it with a Wee Ride. Understandable. I didn't ever try one of these, the problems seemed too obvious. Cowboy starts and bow-legged pedaling and a baby helmet in your sternum/QUOTE]

Yes, you're 100% right - was mistakenly thinking about the Wee Ride - the Weehoo does look nice because it accommodates younger kids than our Piccalo does - thanks for the recommendation.
Old 01-02-18, 10:52 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Römer Jockey

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ro...po0-LZJITkIEM:

Used all the time over here.

Also, quite easy to have two kids and a backpack without the trailers and other garbage. Nihola would be the best option, but they're pricey :/

Last edited by acidfast7; 01-02-18 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-05-18, 11:39 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
+1 on the trailer. Our twins are 3 now, and they've been riding (and running) in a Burley Encore behind a CAAD10 or Bianchi Brava since they were 6-ish months old. The storage space in the back is big enough for a light shopping run (milk, bread and a couple nights' dinner). The first couple of times you come to MUP bollards are scary whether you'll squeeze through or not, but once you get to know how it rides, it's no problem. As the kids get bigger, hills get tougher.

We looked at Xtracycles over the weekend, because they're outgrowing the Burley. Only trouble is, we don't have a good donor bike for the Leap, and Im not sure I like the ride of the Edgerunner.
Old 08-06-18, 02:50 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
I didn't do dropoff and pickup with a bike regularly, but I did it a few times. I used a big Burley trailer. It was big enough for two kids and cargo. It attached to the frame near the rear axle. It did not affect handling of the bike at all. It just made pedaling harder. You might want to see if you can leave the trailer at day care. I have ridden with it empty, and it's a little bouncy but not terrible. Towing a lot of weight uphill can be hard, and so is riding into a headwind, as it acts like a parachute. But if I wiped out, the trailer wouldn't, so I liked that aspect.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-06-18, 06:39 PM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Back in the day, we had the Burley double. But by the time my younger son had graduated out of it, the younger son was bored in it; we then used a weehoo (I see someone already posted about it). The burley, being enclosed, would be better for really cold days. Easy to get studded tires for the bike itself .. probably doable for the trailer wheels but I never tried.

Tern makes a folding cargo bike (I believe conventional as well as ebike) which could be interesting.

As for "what to do with the trailer" I'd see if the school would allow you to park it there. I did that with the weehoo from time to time, no reason it couldn't work for others ... if they've got the space.
Old 08-07-18, 12:55 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
Some of the trailers can be folded neatly and don't take up that much space. We had a Burley D'light for our kids and with the sides folded down, the wheels taken out it became a flat package. Maybe the daycare will allow to have it stored at their facility.
Old 08-12-18, 04:03 AM
lcarriere
Torque Steer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here in Copenhagen, the Larry vs Harry Bullit bikes and Omnium cargo bikes dominate. Everything visible in front of you, low center of gravity, and, er, prohibitively expensive?
Old 08-14-18, 09:44 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 2,539 Posts
Another vote for looking into a front-seat (Romer Jockey or similar). In a trailer or even a rear seat, the child is quite remote/detached from you. In front, you'll be more riding 'with' your kid. If you are still doing it when the kid starts talking it will be a lot more intimate.

Whatever your eventual choice, don't do this (wrong kind of intimate):

Whatever you do, see whether you can detach it from the bike quickly&conveniently and leave it at the daycare, so you don't have to ride all the way to work and back with it.
Old 08-14-18, 03:51 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
my wife does daycare drop-off and pick-up for our kids most days. she just walks them over there most days because it's only a 1/2 mile from our home. and she works from home most days, so she actually likes the walks every morning and afternoon to get her out of the house and engaged with the neighborhood. it's also nice that our local grocery store is on the route so she can also easily pick-up grocery items as we need them everyday.

but when my wife has early morning school visits or conferences to attend (like today), i typically do morning drop-off. i use a burely trailer which nicely accommodates our two kiddos. and because their daycare is only a 1/2 mile from home, i'll shuttle them over there with the burley, then ride back home and drop-off the trailer, then continue on my 8-mile ride to work trailer-free.

our kids are 2 and 3, and the beautiful thing going forward is that our neighborhood K-8 school is literally one short city block south of us (300' door-to-door). so once our kiddos are ready for kindergarten, they'll be able to simply walk over there every morning, no more mommy and daddy chauffeur service required!!!

Last edited by Steely Dan; 08-14-18 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-14-18, 04:04 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 2,539 Posts
But, but, 'Murica! Surely you'll need to buy a 4-wheel drive SUV so you can safely drop the kids off at school with ultimate comfort, safety and style!
Old 08-14-18, 09:52 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
We haven't heard from you in a long time, @beaconsbeacon. Did you find a solution?

To anyone else who might be interested, @-holiday76 is selling his Cetma Largo cargo bike. Very classy. I wish I had an excuse to own one. Stuff like that is popular here for parents and kids.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-15-18, 05:35 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Trailers are great. It seem like every parent is using them these days. https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...body+everybody