Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Rain Shoes

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Rain Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-18, 08:42 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Tevas sandals. Let those puppies breath.
My urban ride gets too gritty with rain/puddles/splash, shoe covers please.
Old 08-04-18, 07:12 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,453 Times in 1,430 Posts
Wow, I don't often think of 40º drops. That's serious. Good thing a lot of you Coloradans are smart and ready.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-04-18, 08:43 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
Does anyone use a certain type of shoe for Rain? (It doesn't Rain much here but when it does....)
I'd get the covers rather than any moisture resistant specific shoes. I purchased rain gear (except shoe covers) 3 years ago when I lived back east and its still in the plastic. Rain is so infrequent here in southern Cal, but even in those rare instances when it does rain I don't ride.

As a commuter I'd just take the train and transfer to a shuttle then walk a half mile to work. I tried riding all the way a couple times in the wet and found it way too dangerous. Wet road surfaces with pot holes in traffic is just too treacherous, and it increases the danger of a spill -- or worse, being hit by a car -- 10 fold. There was a MUP but even that would become flooded and make the commute more trouble than it was worth.
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Another consideration is the temperature. Colorado Kid lives in Boulder (I think) while I live in Denver. I've toured a lot in the eastern and southern US and the rain there is very different. Your rain is rather warm and never cools all that much when it rains. Here the temperature can drop 30° to 50°F when the rain starts. The higher up you go, the more the temperature will drop as well. For example, I happened to be driving around Telluride this weekend. The temperature was in the high 70s when we got hit by a thunderstorm on Lizard Head Pass. The temperature dropped to the mid 40s in less than 5 minutes.

Out here on the plains, it's not uncommon for a 40°F temperature drop...90°F to 50°F. Wet can mean hazardously cold here.
Similar back east. Not temps but flooding. You don't know what's under that water.
Old 08-05-18, 05:25 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
I'd get the covers rather than any moisture resistant specific shoes...

I tried riding all the way a couple times in the wet and found it way too dangerous. Wet road surfaces with pot holes in traffic is just too treacherous, and it increases the danger of a spill -- or worse, being hit by a car -- 10 fold.

There was a MUP but even that would become flooded and make the commute more trouble than it was worth. Similar back east. Not temps but flooding. You don't know what's under that water.
I have frequently posted about my safety aphorisms.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…Over the past few months I have come to realize that my safety aphorisms, collected over the years by personal or vicarious experience,are my way of actively aligning the stars in my favor, to anticipate those unseen and otherwise unanticipated dangers.

FWIW, for my own information at least [include]:...Don’t ride over an area (such as puddles or leaves) when you can’t see the road surfaceThose are all I remember for now, and they all pop-up in my mind as I encounter the situation.
Old 08-05-18, 05:59 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
The question is about rain shoes, but let me mention fenders(or mudguards if you prefer) and mudflaps. They won't completely protect your shoes, but will cut dow the amount of splashing reaching your feet.
Old 08-05-18, 07:18 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,453 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
The question is about rain shoes, but let me mention fenders(or mudguards if you prefer) and mudflaps. They won't completely protect your shoes, but will cut dow the amount of splashing reaching your feet.
By a lot!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-23-18, 11:45 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
Except that when it rains, they protect nothing really.
I myself am also looking for either a good wareproof hiker or a dedicated road shoe. Just dont want to carry second pair of runners for walking around shopping or at the gym.
Old 08-23-18, 01:17 PM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I wear waterproof socks and usually let my shoes get wet. If it is crazy cold, I'll throw neoprene covers on my shoes. Neoprene is not exactly waterproof, but it is a good insulator and windscreen.
Old 08-23-18, 04:05 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by MMACH 5
I wear waterproof socks and usually let my shoes get wet. If it is crazy cold, I'll throw neoprene covers on my shoes. Neoprene is not exactly waterproof, but it is a good insulator and windscreen.
i swear by Showers Pass waterproof socks. I’ve also used neoprene covers and find they do add warmth, but man they are a sponge in really wet conditions!
Old 08-23-18, 04:56 PM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Someone on this list talked about L.L. Beam shoes for rain shoes. Could you tell us how this works out for bicycle commuting? What are the advantages (If any.) to using this type of shoe.)
Old 08-24-18, 10:25 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Those Bean ‘duck boots’ sound good if your pedals at big enough
Old 08-24-18, 11:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
Someone on this list talked about L.L. Bean shoes for rain shoes. Could you tell us how this works out for bicycle commuting? What are the advantages (If any.) to using this type of shoe.)
My feet stay Dry?

I use platform pedals .. Ergon's * work perfectly.. huge integrated pedal reflectors..

*as do others, MTB, with traction pins..

[bike has full mudguards]