Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Can I swap in an 11T on a 12-36 Shimano cassette?

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 10-29-19, 11:30 AM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 41 Posts

Had an 11-36 9-speed cassette on our Co-Mo. The three biggest cogs were too far apart, so I stole the 12-36 from the Santana. Much better spacing! But I miss that one missing tooth on the 11T.
Can I swap out just the 12T, putting on an 11T, without any adverse issues on shifting? Chain was fine with the 11T before.
Old 10-29-19, 11:31 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Should not be an issue, you may need to use the lockring from the old cassette to get it to work.
Old 10-29-19, 01:30 PM
Ludkeh
alpine cross trainer

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Quintara Roo Sendoza, DaVici In-2-Ition Tandem,

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mprince
Should not be an issue, you may need to use the lockring from the old cassette to get it to work.
I agree. Have done it myself without any problem. I don't think you will even have to adjust the shifter cable. But if it skips a SLIGHT adjustment while the bike is upside down and you can spin and shift the cable is all that will be needed.
Old 11-08-19, 08:48 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
You need a special lock ring for the 11 tooth cassette, just keep the lock ring that was on the 11 tooth with it..
Old 11-10-19, 09:21 PM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Liked 85 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
You need a special lock ring for the 11 tooth cassette,.
Yep, I have two cassettes in my parts box with 11t and 11t locking rings so will steal one of those.