Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Bolt, Rouvy and Smart Trainers

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 12-16-19, 12:53 PM
am0n

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts

I purchased an Elemnt Bolt recently. I see that it can store and display structured workouts. It has some pre-loaded. When I read their website, it only talks about TrainingPeaks and Today's Plan for generating structured workouts. Can I do this with Rouvy and upload them to the Bolt? Or is TrainingPeaks and Today's Plan my only options?

On top of that, it looks like the Bolt can control your smart trainer with those structured workouts. Does it only do this with a Wahoo Smart Trainer, or can it do this with any Smart Trainer (with ANT+ FE-C)?
Old 12-18-19, 02:15 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
I'll take a stab here. If Rouvy will export workouts you could then import them into TrainingPeaks, which could then also be loaded to your Bolt. I believe that the Bolt can control any trainer that uses the same protocol and all of the newest ones do. It took a while but it does seem that all bike related gear can now pretty much talk to each other. It is only when it is a specific software talking to another specific software that you still have some issues. It requires a different logon to get into each one and they only program a few, plus there are licensing agreements to be made. It's still pretty well done.

In the audio world it isn't quite as clean yet. There are a number of protocols and each node needs to be using the same one. UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) is not so universal, AppleAirplay is of course Apple proprietary although it is followed by a lot of users, something called Roon uses something else. The streaming services need to have an interface so that the desktop and phone software can integrate them, etc... It is coming together there as well. And then there is the Raspberry Pi, which is being used as a streaming device, something that could possibly be integrated into the bike world.
Old 12-19-19, 06:28 AM
am0n

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Thanks for the response. I didn't intend to pay for training peaks, which is why I was hoping for a direct transfer from Rouvy.

​​​​​ Good to hear they have kind of standardized a bit.