Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Looking for pannier bag

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Looking for pannier bag

Old 01-15-20, 03:52 AM
cyclinglovers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for pannier bag

The raining weather is coming , as a commuter to school often , what pannier bags would you suggest ?
Old 01-15-20, 04:45 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts
Rhino

I’ve had a pair of Rhino panniers for about 3 months now. Haven’t had a real heavy rain so no acid test but dry so far.

About half the the cost of Ortlieb on that big A website.

Rhino pannier.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 01-15-20, 08:16 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
You have to go to a few shops and look. I didn't like any of the options when I wanted them for commuting in NYC. My requirement was that it didn't look dorky off the bike, and let's just say they go from mildly geek to all out dork. I ended up with a Knog messenger bag that had an attachment that would hang from the rack. It had its own issues but I even got some comments about my nice messenger bag from non-riders that didn't know it was also a bike bag. You may be able to find them on eBay but they stopped making them years ago.
Likes For zacster:
Old 01-15-20, 09:28 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
30 years ago my Dad had one that looked like a regular briefcase but hooked onto the bike rack in the usual way. That’s what I would seek out if I needed one.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-16-20, 09:17 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Ortliebs are pricey but reliably waterproof.

I like mine bright, but they also make dark colors (blue and black) if you want to blend in when you get to school.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 01-16-20, 10:45 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
My Ortlieb panniers (back roller) are 25 years old and still waterproof. I can highly recommend them.
Old 01-16-20, 11:24 AM
BritishV8

Bikes: 1979 Bridgestone SkyWay, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 2002 Specialized Hardrock Comp, 2018 Soma Smoothie

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
This Portland Oregon company makes great bags: https://northstbags.com/

I had them custom-make a "Morrison" to match the colors of my bike, and I've really enjoyed it. However, I've found I don't really use its backpack-straps. A "Route 6" might have suited my needs just as well, but at a somewhat lower price.
Old 01-17-20, 06:17 PM
srestrepo

Bikes: 2016 Felt Z85 105, 2016 GT Grade Sora

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
30 years ago my Dad had one that looked like a regular briefcase but hooked onto the bike rack in the usual way. That’s what I would seek out if I needed one.
Hey, I use an ortlieb office bag. It's a dark grey and black one with a reflective triangle on the front and back. Comes with a nice strap that I wear messenger bag style around the office. It was waterproof for me all the times it rained and it poured some of those times.

Its a bit pricey but, works well for me. Holds my 15 in laptop, notebook, has spaces for my mouse and pens, as well as my clothes (pants and shirt) plus a lunch and a 16 oz can of whatever. Its pretty large.
Old 01-18-20, 12:39 AM
cyclinglovers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
looks awesome , but the price is too high , limited budget
Old 01-18-20, 12:43 AM
cyclinglovers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my friend suggest waterfly pannier bags, but i am not sure , never heard this brand before , but the reviews online shop look good
Old 01-18-20, 12:45 AM
cyclinglovers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Harhir
My Ortlieb panniers (back roller) are 25 years old and still waterproof. I can highly recommend them.
do you heard waterfly pannier bag before?
Old 01-20-20, 12:15 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by srestrepo
Hey, I use an ortlieb office bag. It's a dark grey and black one with a reflective triangle on the front and back. Comes with a nice strap that I wear messenger bag style around the office. It was waterproof for me all the times it rained and it poured some of those times.

Its a bit pricey but, works well for me. Holds my 15 in laptop, notebook, has spaces for my mouse and pens, as well as my clothes (pants and shirt) plus a lunch and a 16 oz can of whatever. Its pretty large.
I used the Office bag for five years straight and it is bomber and still in fine condition. I have semi-retired it because it's larger and heavier than I need on a general basis, so I have been using a pair of Ortleib Gravel-Pack rolltop bags instead for the past few years. On a light day I carry one with my work shirt, briefs and bike tools; if more storage is needed I bring both bags for the full 25L capacity. There are no internal pockets, so I organize my gear in plastic bags and sleeves.

The Gravel-pack is designed for front-mounting with a low-rider rack, so there is no problem with heel-strike on the rear with the minimalist Tubus Fly rack.
Old 01-21-20, 01:01 PM
Fatter Frank

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roll Elite 2015 Trek Verve 3

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
As you, the OP, are a student, I suspect you have a backpack. Should that be the case, I would advise getting grocery panniers because of the lower cost and their utilitarian capabilities. Just put the backpack in the pannier/s. Take a look at Bushwhacker Omaha grocery bags, Ortlieb bags and Jandd bags.
Old 01-21-20, 03:50 PM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
https://www.walmart.com/ip/UBesGoo-R...-Bag/664094836
Old 01-21-20, 08:57 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
I recommend the Timbuk2 Tandem Panniers. Waterproof, built really well and very easy to carry of the bike. I have Ortlieb and Racktime panniers for touring but the Timbuk2's are my go to for commuting and short trips for shopping, Starbucks/Panera runs, etc.
They are saddlebags so they're attached and great off the bike because magnets keep the two parts together and an included shoulder strap makes them very totable.
Good luck.

Last edited by MAK; 01-21-20 at 09:51 PM.