Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Looking to buy a mountain bike

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-20, 11:53 AM
fcarpio

Bikes: Trek 7.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello all,
I hope this post is in the right place. I am looking to buy two mountain bikes, one for me and another for my wife, but we have a very limited budget. I went to my local bike store and everything they had was very expensive (over 1k). So I am here looking for advise. I would like to get a full suspension bike (maybe I am pushing it with this, so it isn't a solid requirement), I have seen some under $500 (Dicks Sporting Goods) but I don't know if they are any good. I definitely want to stay away from Walmart bikes, I tried a few at the store and all had their brakes busted, lol. I am looking for the best I can get in the low budget category. What we want to do with these bikes is to load them in the car, go somewhere interesting and explore the area. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-07-20, 01:45 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 770 Posts
Bikes at Walmart and Dicks sporting good are more or less the same and bottom of the barrel stuff.

You're local bike shop is going to be your best bet. If you want full suspension this is going to be the best bang for your buck..

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes-stance-29-2020

If you aren't trail riding then full suspension won't be necessary and you can away with a hardtail.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bi...bikes/hardtail
Old 02-08-20, 12:20 PM
carlosponti

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
this is good video on what you would want to look for at a minimum. when you start out you arent going to be riding very difficult or rugged trails the video will get you started. when you get better and want to ride more advanced trails with comfort then you can look at better bikes. if you have the money you can start at the upper end bikes but this will get you started if you dont have the money. my bike was an entry level hard tail once i was riding trails that out classed the bike I bought a better bike. price wise its not worth upgrading a lot of entry level bikes because to save money they use older standards ie wheel size quick release straight taper steerer etc that aren't used on more advanced bikes. my new bike has a boost rear end thru axles and tapered steerer all newer standards newer bikes come with and eventually will trickle down to entry level bikes.

Likes For carlosponti:
Old 02-08-20, 12:55 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
For what you're going to be doing with it, I wouldn't rule out Wally World bikes, but I would consider looking into the bikes offered online IE: Bikes Direct.com and others. If you're thinking that you might upgrade down the road and you don't like tinkering with your bikes, then go to your LBS. But if you're not sure what the future holds, why go all in? Good luck and enjoy.
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 02-08-20, 02:08 PM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
Have you got a friend that could assist you in finding a decent older bike? Trek and giant are a couple popular brands.
Likes For Olefeller77:
Old 02-08-20, 10:54 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
If you have an REI near you it's worth a look. They have a range of bikes including bikes in your price range. My experience is that the mechanics are well trained and their bikes solid. Someone told me that many of their store brand bikes (Co-Op) are made by Giant. Their bike's components are generally quality brands. I have a Co-Op hard tail that I love.
Likes For MAK:
Old 02-09-20, 02:36 PM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Someone mentioned bikes direct, seeing as you are in Florida, Bikes Direct has actual stores in Jacksonville and Orlando. (the one in Orlando is called Cycle Spectrum). The same bikes advertised on the web site are available at these stores. And if you buy it from the store it comes fully assembled and adjusted.
Got my son a Motobecane 529HT from them a couple years ago. Plenty capable as a starter bike.
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ntainbikes.htm
Old 02-10-20, 09:19 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
If Dick's is your only choice, the GT line it's bad. Just make sure you do your own research to get the right size. The salespeople from my experience were not qualified to fit customers to the right bike.
This one is a bit above your price point at $600, down from $750 worth consideration. If you have the means, look for used. But make sure you do your homework.

Likes For qclabrat: