Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Afraid of outside riding

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Afraid of outside riding

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-20, 06:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Many continue to assume that cars or traffic is the OP's issue with riding outside. While that may be true, the OP never really said that was the case.

So again, laychris , if you are still reading your thread:

What part of riding outside causes you fear?
If you actually read the OP, I don't think it's at all clear that OP has any interest in ever riding outside.

There's definitely no request for ideas on how to get started riding outside, just a question about learning skills indoors. I think that's been definitively answered: you can ride indoors for fitness but you won't learn riding skills.

laychris do you have any interest in learning to ride outdoors?
Old 02-12-20, 07:41 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
you can ride indoors for fitness but you won't learn riding skills.
Not true. As I stated earlier, it is possible to actually ride (not just spin) a bike indoors. I've done it in my production shop and warehouse many times. Be warned, cement floors can be slippery. Extra skill set! I once had a co-worker jump on my bike indoors, then proceed to wipe out on a turn and mangle up my brake lever.

One could set up obstacles to improve bike handling skills. Heck, even ramps and such. Many stunt riding competitions are held indoors. One could become a pro at this and never pedal a bike outdoors.

But yeah, unless the OP returns, who knows what he's looking to do, or what he has issue with.
Old 02-12-20, 07:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Not true. As I stated earlier, it is possible to actually ride (not just spin) a bike indoors. I've done it in my production shop and warehouse many times. Be warned, cement floors can be slippery. Extra skill set! I once had a co-worker jump on my bike indoors, then proceed to wipe out on a turn and mangle up my brake lever.

One could set up obstacles to improve bike handling skills. Heck, even ramps and such. Many stunt riding competitions are held indoors. One could become a pro at this and never pedal a bike outdoors.

But yeah, unless the OP returns, who knows what he's looking to do, or what he has issue with.
OK, you got me, I wasn't specific enough. OP was, though. The question was specifically about a "spinning bike". I guess you could carry one of those around an indoor track, but I don't think it will improve your bike riding skills. Might be a good weight training program, though.
Old 02-12-20, 10:48 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
I don't think riding on an exercise or 'spin' bike is a terrible idea - bikes generally just need to keep moving to stay upright, and once you have the muscle memory for turning pedals, being a confident rider is a short step away.

When OP is ready, find a way to carry (rack on front of a bus or back of a car, or inside a car) your bike to a path or trail without motorized traffic, then go for a short cruise.
Old 02-12-20, 12:28 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
A school playground is a pretty good place to practice, after hours, of course.
This is a good idea. I am involved in bike safety instruction with our school district, and have worked with many 5th graders starting with the basics on the school grounds. I have also worked with several 5th graders who did not know how to ride a bike. The process is the same whether you are 6 or 60.years old.

We have started with a kids that have never been on a bike and after 2 weeeks they were able to complete the graduation ride around the community with the rest of their classs. This was all on city streets with busy highway crossings and many turns (about 4 miles). If you are starting from little or no bike riding ability, there is a basic exercise to get you started, and to build confidence
  • Remove the pedals from your bike (right pedal right hand threads, left pedal left hand threads), and lower the seat so your feet touch the ground.
  • Practice you balance and control by "scootering" along pushing with your feet. It is amazing how fast your balance will improve.
  • This will not work well if you have coaster brakes, but if you bike is equipped with hand brakes it will also be good practice for stopping.
  • Practice this until you feel confident about balance and stopping.
Now is the time to put the pedals back on. Getting started with pedals takes a little practice. Position your "power pedal" at the 2 o'clock position. This is the pedal that will give you some momentum as you start. Practice this until you are confident and can start with little wobble. Get your starting and stopping down and then try some of the suggestions in the earlier posts.

Good luck , and don't be surprised if you find bike riding addictive

Last edited by Doug64; 02-12-20 at 09:31 PM.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 02-12-20, 02:13 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by laychris
I have a fear of riding outside. Plus I'm a beginer and my riding skills are poor.
Is that a normal idea to try riding the spinning bike?
In order to do it at home.
I'm looking for ways I could do my riding skills better without riding outside...
I guess a good set of rollers at home, preferably with 4.5in cylinders. If you master a pair of rollers at home, you can master almost anything on outside pavement.
Likes For friday1970:
Old 02-12-20, 04:12 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by friday1970
I guess a good set of rollers at home, preferably with 4.5in cylinders. If you master a pair of rollers at home, you can master almost anything on outside pavement.
Rollers are useless for developing bike handling skills...OP needs to get outside and get the feel of what it's like to ride a bike in real world under different conditions..
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 02-12-20, 04:33 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I have a fear of riding outside. Plus I'm a beginer and my riding skills are poor.
I'm looking for ways I could do my riding skills better without riding outside...
That may be a little weird, but I have such fears since my childhood. But I'm really interested in bikes and want to try
Are you enjoying the ability to post links now that you've run up more than 10 posts?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-12-20, 08:13 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
That may be a little weird, but I have such fears since my childhood. But I'm really interested in bikes and want to try
I can ride outside when it's not sunny, but if the sun is out and my shadow is behind me it frightens me badly. When my shadow is in front of me I try to catch it and I am really fast. Like I can almost go 14.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 02-12-20, 08:21 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I can ride outside when it's not sunny, but if the sun is out and my shadow is behind me it frightens me badly. When my shadow is in front of me I try to catch it and I am really fast. Like I can almost go 14.
So.... what are you thinking about Spring? 6 more weeks of winter or Spring starts now?
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 02-12-20, 08:26 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Are you enjoying the ability to post links now that you've run up more than 10 posts?
First 11 in less than 1 hr.
Old 02-13-20, 07:07 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
First 11 in less than 1 hr.

It appears to me that you are not taking our OP seriously. You should be ashamed of yourself. What is this forum for if not to lift up our brothers and sisters on two wheels?
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 02-13-20, 08:27 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Riding indoors doesn't require any skills and it's impossible to learn and improve bike riding skills by riding indoors...
The OP could buy a track bike and join up at his local velodrome. Learn bike handling away from the cars...
Old 02-13-20, 02:05 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
You can absolutely learn strong riding skills indoors.

https://raysmtb.com/
Old 02-13-20, 03:12 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Kapusta
You can absolutely learn strong riding skills indoors.

https://raysmtb.com/

That ain't spinning!

I want that here!
Old 02-13-20, 03:57 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
The OP could buy a track bike and join up at his local velodrome. Learn bike handling away from the cars...
Riding around in circles on the track would get boring really fast.....One thing that attracts me to cycling is the ability to go to places and see and experience different things outdoors. Riding around traffic is what develops real world cycling skills and awareness,, it's impossible to be a cyclist and not ride around cars.. The reality of cycling is that it's impossible to completely avoid traffic and cars. I think OP needs to forget about bikes and find a different hobby.
Old 02-13-20, 04:13 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
OP has a history of posting without responding to answers. Suggest we ignore
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 02-13-20, 08:21 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I have two younger brothers (I'm 70) who ride motorcyles, and they think I'm crazy to still ride on the road. One even said I should get one of those Peleton things and compete online or whatever. I told him that we enjoy the social aspect of group rides and coffee stops, etc. I asked him how much fun it would be for him to bolt his moto down to the garage floor, and sit out there for hours going nowhere. He told me I was being "snarky". 🤔

To one guy's comment about being hit by a car and discouraged his road riding, it had the opposite effect on me. In 2002, I was hit by a guy making a left turn into me. He caught my rear triangle, knocked me off the bike and destroyed a nice steel Bianchi. I was fine, with a few bumps and skinned areas. I could not wait to get a new bike, and start riding again. In 2011, I had another crash, self induced partly, when I hit a pine cone (they tell me), knocked myself out, concussion, broken arm requiring surgery, facial stitches, etc. My bike was fine. From the crash in late April till my first ride, July 4th (my Independence Day), I rode my wife's stationary bike in the patio. Boring. I can't imagine stationary bikes ever replacing a real road ride for me. My point is that you can sit inside and worry about worst case scenarios, or get out in the world and go for it. Incidents do happen, and are usually survivable. Its a learning experience, and better prepares you for a future where you can enjoy more "out time" on the bike. The wonderful biking experiences I've had over the past 50 years of cycling far outweigh the discomforts of incidents that I might have sat inside worrying about the "what ifs". If cycling is something you want to do, lots of good advice above, but you have to want to do it, more than you want to worry about consequences. Good luck, in whatever you try, but at least give it a try, or you will never know.

Edit: I didn't see the above post about the OP not responding to our posts. Maybe so, but some other reader/rider may have similar questions, and it might help him. If the OP is just trolling us, well, "Go play in traffic". 🤡

Last edited by Slightspeed; 02-13-20 at 08:26 PM.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 02-14-20, 08:13 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
OP has a history of posting without responding to answers. Suggest we ignore
I agree. OP makes one post in each of the 11 threads and then disappears. Doesn't look like the OP is interested in any followup.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 02-15-20, 01:13 AM
CohenS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 02-15-20, 04:57 AM
rami_arna

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Start in calm small roads until you get more confident. Understand that there is nothing you can do to avoid getting hit but all you can do is minimize the possibility. This way of thinking gave me the required courage.
Old 02-17-20, 01:11 PM
dwtrux

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My fear got me on a set of rollers. Now I use the Nero rollers from Elite that are interactive as well. Got me able to both develop balance and increase fitness to the point I felt more comfortable riding outside at reasonable times in low traffic areas with a mirror on my glasses.
Likes For dwtrux:
Old 02-17-20, 03:51 PM
TheLizard

Bikes: 2001 Trek 8000

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
Ride in a developed neighborhood. That will get you going and the vehicle speeds will be lower. A bit more safe.
Better yet, a RICH developed neighborhood. And get a GoPro for your helmet. That way when your bike is demolished by a soccer mom's minivan because she was texting with her tennis coach, you'll be able to buy a MUCH better bike!
Old 02-17-20, 05:23 PM
myisland

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Dangerous

I just went over my handlebars avoiding an e-scooter and broke my right hand. Been riding 40 years so I thought that I knew how to ride.

An indoor "bike" is definitely safer.
Old 02-17-20, 06:18 PM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIOTASIA
Learning to ride a bike indoors is somewhat analogous to learning to drive by using a simulator. While you can develop some skills and feel healthier, the only way to learn to ride a bike (or a car) is to practice doing it. Example 1: On a bike, you come to a hill and have to figure out how to do it. On a stationary bike, you can change the program. Example 2: On a stationary bike , you can stop without consequence. On a bike, if you stop too quickly you run the risk of ending up on the ground. Example 3: My typical ride is 40 miles and at the half-way point, I have 20 miles back. On a stationary bike, you can stop whenever you want. Example 4: On a bike you have to be aware of everything around you. On a stationary bike you can read a book.

But, how about letting me know why you want to go that route.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.