Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Colnago CRS

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-20, 03:01 AM
hondaminhtt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Colnago CRS

Hi, Merlin are selling the Colnago CRS for £899, and the pearl red model is catching my eye,

I currently have a 2013 Focus Cayo Evo frame that I bought off eBay in 2017, built up with ultegra / 105 mix.

Is the Colnago a step up or a sideways move? I know it’s their entry level carbon frame, but maybe their entry level is a high bar?

I’m not a racer, I ride for fitness and enjoyment.
Old 02-14-20, 08:47 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Sorry that I can't answer your question as posed. I can say that I have a Colnago World Cup CX with 105 and it's awesome. It's an AL frame

Old 02-14-20, 11:14 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
I looked up that Colnago on Merlin. Sweeeet looking machine.

However, is there any practical reason you want to stop using your Focus? Damaged? Ill fitting? Does it lack some other feature like rack mounts or bigger tire clearance that the Colnago has?
I suspect you will see very little tangible benefit to buying a new frame.

Tangible benefits, however, don't take into account your enjoyment of the bike for any other reason - it's prettier, you like the paint better, you like the Colnago brand better... all perfectly valid reasons to get a new frame if you have the cash.... if you have the cash. If you have to put it on credit card with the intent to pay off later, or you are going to eat no-name ramen noodles for three months to pay for it, it's probably not worth it.
Old 02-14-20, 02:30 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
The C-RS sold for around $2500 as a 105 equipped bike. I got one on sale for $1400, tore it down to the bare frame and built it back up with Chorus 12 speed and all other high level components. Original build kit was sold on Ebay. The frame and fork weigh about 1600 grams, which is about the same as a Trek Emonda SL frame that retails for the same $1700.

I liked it so well that I bought a second brand new frameset with the gloss red/white paint for $700 and sold my 16 year old LOOK KG 461 for $250, to make a cheap upgrade to a modern and lighter second bike.

Bike exchange has gloss red and gloss black frames for $700.

Whether this frame is a step up or over is probably a buyer decision. Your focus may be a little lighter than the C-RS, but for a recreational rider 100 grams isn't going to matter much. My C-RS weighs 7.3Kg, without pedals bottle cages or computer and 7.6 ready to ride.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 02-14-20 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-14-20, 02:42 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I think it's a greet looking bike but I don't think that the company considered that in the US CRS also stands for Can't Remember *STUFF*
Old 02-15-20, 01:11 AM
CohenS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 02-16-20, 07:55 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by hondaminhtt
Hi, Merlin are selling the Colnago CRS for £899, and the pearl red model is catching my eye,

I currently have a 2013 Focus Cayo Evo frame that I bought off eBay in 2017, built up with ultegra / 105 mix.

Is the Colnago a step up or a sideways move? I know it’s their entry level carbon frame, but maybe their entry level is a high bar?

I’m not a racer, I ride for fitness and enjoyment.
I have a 2017 CRS Ultegra Mix and absolutely love it. Best riding bike I've ever owned. I currently have around 24,000 miles on it and it hasn't failed me yet. The only changes I've made to the original bike was a different saddle, different wheels and I replaced the press fit bottom bracket with a Wheels Mfg threaded aluminum BB. Whether it's going to be a step up to your Focus, I can't say. That's something that only you can determine.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Last edited by John_V; 02-16-20 at 08:00 AM.