Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Dress pants for commuting

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 06-13-19, 07:23 PM
matimeo

Bikes: It's the motor, not the bike, right?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

I recently posted about my new commuter I built to facilitate a shorter commute. The idea is to be able to wear my work clothes and not have to change, saving the time and hassle.

I'm looking for a recommendation for dress pants that will fit the bill. They need to meet the following requirements:

1. Need to be comfortable to ride in on a 2 mile commute.
2. Machine washable
3. Can't be dockers or khacki style pants- have to be dress pants (my work dress code is business formal, slacks, tie, etc).
4. Relatively durable

A quick search pulls up something like this, but is love to hear any personal experiences.

https://www.amazon.com/Van-Heusen-Mens-Sraight-Front/dp/B07B326C6R/ref=gp_aw_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=8VJ1X38YRA3265TX99TE
Old 06-13-19, 08:00 PM
oldgeezerjeff

Bikes: 2016 Charge Plug 2, Citizen Miami folding bike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
UnderArmor makes some nice "dress" pants that are made with a light weight, somewhat stretchy easy care fabric. They are actually golf pants, but they look real nice and they have relatively tight cuffs. I own 4 pair and have worn them at work for a couple years now. They hold up really well. They are slightly pricey, but well worth the money. I do not wear work clothes on my commute as I ride 14 and 1/2 miles each way...but I do carry them rolled up in my backpack and they always look nice at work. If they do get any wrinkles in the backpack, they just fall out shortly after putting them on. I highly recommend them.
Old 06-13-19, 09:23 PM
Hub Spanner

Bikes: 2011 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2014 Raleigh Sojourn, et al

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bluffworks

I love my Bluffworks pants. Their Gramercy model is their dressiest.

I have a three mile commute each way.
Old 06-14-19, 08:21 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Polyester fabrics are more durable than cotton or wool.. black wont show chain contact..

tried any Charity shops? clothes get resold there..
Old 06-14-19, 08:59 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Polyester fabrics are more durable than cotton or wool.. black wont show chain contact..
Agree on the polyester. I suspect you'll find the crotch of any dress pants wear out faster when you're cycling -- one reason I prefer to wear cycling shorts and change at work.
Old 06-14-19, 09:42 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Coming from many years in a Business dress environment I think you'll find that the cut and materials of dress pants are as suitable to cycle commuting as wearing the suit-coat and tie that completes the wardrobe: hardly at all. A decent suit with the traditional two pair of pants will last through years of wear in it's intended environment with regular dry cleaning. Worn on the bike the crotch will quickly wear through on the trousers, the inevitable chain grease and snag will ruin them and replacement will be costly. The point of traditional business dress is to present a professional appearance to your associates, customers and partners. Worn, soiled or smelly doesn't exactly meet that requirement. The dress code is important to your employer or it would't exist, respecting it shows respect for the job.

Re-think changing from/to commuting kit to office wear daily.
Ask your supervisor about proper parking for your machine, where to clean-up and change and where to store your dress garb in off-hours.
Such accommodations are common today and should be worked out straight off.

Good luck on the new job.

-Bandera
Old 06-14-19, 10:48 AM
matimeo

Bikes: It's the motor, not the bike, right?

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by oldgeezerjeff
UnderArmor makes some nice "dress" pants that are made with a light weight, somewhat stretchy easy care fabric.
I'll have to look at these. I'll need to check them out somewhere local to make sure they look dressy enough.

Originally Posted by Hub Spanner
I love my Bluffworks pants. Their Gramercy model is their dressiest. I have a three mile commute each way.
Those look great, but wow, what a price tag! $140.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Polyester fabrics are more durable than cotton or wool.. black wont show chain contact. tried any Charity shops? clothes get resold there..
I do frequent thrift stores, but it's hard enough to find good dress pants at most that fit. With the kinds of specifications I'm looking for, that might not be a good use of my time. Otherwise I'm all for thrift stores- that's where most of my rain gear has come from.

Originally Posted by Bandera
Coming from many years in a Business dress environment I think you'll find that the cut and materials of dress pants are as suitable to cycle commuting as wearing the suit-coat and tie that completes the wardrobe: hardly at all. A decent suit with the traditional two pair of pants will last through years of wear in it's intended environment with regular dry cleaning. Worn on the bike the crotch will quickly wear through on the trousers, the inevitable chain grease and snag will ruin them and replacement will be costly. The point of traditional business dress is to present a professional appearance to your associates, customers and partners. Worn, soiled or smelly doesn't exactly meet that requirement. The dress code is important to your employer or it would't exist, respecting it shows respect for the job.

Re-think changing from/to commuting kit to office wear daily.
Ask your supervisor about proper parking for your machine, where to clean-up and change and where to store your dress garb in off-hours.
Such accommodations are common today and should be worked out straight off.
As I said in my original post, my new commute is only two miles long, so the whole idea is to be able to avoid changing clothes when I get there, which I don't think should be a big deal. It's more about saving my time and being more convenient for me. I know the traditional business attire won't be very durable whilst bike riding, so I'm looking outside the box for some options that are still dressy enough, but that will be more durable and comfortable (as with the first couple of suggestions).
Old 06-14-19, 11:51 AM
2bridges1bike

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Banana republic has a few “performance” dress pants. I haven’t tried them specifically but I have other performance items from them that have worked well. I just started using them this year so I can’t speak to their long term viability.

Also, don’t limit your self to machine washable. Many “dry clean” only items can be washed at home if you use the right detergent and have a hand wash cycle in your machine.
Likes For 2bridges1bike:
Old 06-14-19, 12:04 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I can't answer your question, but my GF recently bought me a couple of pairs of cargo shorts at Costco that were made out of a synthetic material that made me think would make some good pants for riding in to a business casual job.
Old 06-14-19, 01:45 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Here are a few:
https://www.betabrand.com/mens/pants...-to-work-pants
https://www.kitandace.com/us/en/men/.../KMB10103.html
Old 06-15-19, 12:23 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
I've had some Nike Dri-Fit golf pants for nearly 10 years. They don't really maintain a crease but I never need to iron them.
Old 06-18-19, 06:43 PM
zenolee

Bikes: '97 Specialized RockHopper, '84 Trek 620, '78 Zebrakenko Record Tour, Crust Canti Lightning Bolt

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Uniqlo EZY Pants. They're stretchy and sporty, but at the office they look like wool slacks.
Old 06-18-19, 10:01 PM
the_mahout

Bikes: 2001 Lemond Zurich, 2002 Lemond Poprad, 1993 Trek 520, 1986 Trek 560 Fixie

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would think for a two mile commute you cold wear just about anything. I second the recommendation for the synthetic fiber Golf Pants. They are comfortable and typically have an athletic cut. They look good and can easily pass muster with a long sleeved dress shirt and loafers. Our dress code is not as relaxed as Business Casual but definitely not as tight as Business Formal. Try some on at you local Dick's Sporting Goods and see if they fit the bill.
Old 06-19-19, 05:24 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I was going suggest polyester golf pants as well.
Old 06-19-19, 06:00 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Travelsmith sells a lot wrinkle free pants.
Old 06-19-19, 06:23 AM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

Bikes: Motobecane Gravel X1, Iron Horse Maverick 1.0

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
I wear shorts and a t-shirt on the commute, then change into work clothes in the copy room. I just keep the work clothes neatly folded in a really big zip-top bag in my backpack. If anyone ever points out that my shirt is a little wrinkled, I explain that I velo-commute (I find using the word "velo" adds some "gravitas"), they are so enamoured with my commute option they forget all about my wrinkles.

Changing at work also means I don't have to worry about adding fenders to my bike. If I get striped by a puddle, it's ok, since I am changing anyway.
Likes For ironnerd:
Old 06-19-19, 01:25 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I got some of those Costco pants @no motor? mentioned and I've shelved them. They're kind of stretchy and plasticky with a stealthy elastic waist band hidden by the pockets, and they wrinkle easily in the wash if you don't pull them out of the dryer right when it's done. Fine for cycling and really inexpensive. But they seem like something a mechanic would wear, maybe. Your coworkers would never, ever in a million years mistake them for wool suit pants.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-20-19, 10:44 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Wool is good (less stinky than synthetics, better with moisture than cotton), and many brands that specialize in mid-range professional attire now offer washable wool. It's best not to put the stuff in a heated dryer cycle, but it definitely survives machine washing.

I've always found tapered or slim leg trousers better on the bike than traditional wide suit pants that feel like jammies. There's a reason that urban hipster kids back in the day always wore skinny jeans; part of it was function. With the right shoes and socks, tapered/slim leg trousers are certainly smart enough for the office.

Get thee to the Republic of Bananas. They specialize in stuff that is appropriate for work, and I believe they are having a sale.
Old 06-20-19, 12:56 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Step 1: Go to Zara (particularly when things are on sale)
Step 2: Buy some cheap but nice looking pants that are slim in the lower leg
Step 3: Ride, ride, ride, and dispose of this disposable clothing when it wears out
Likes For robertorolfo:
Old 06-20-19, 01:55 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Step 1: Go to Zara (particularly when things are on sale)
Step 2: Buy some cheap but nice looking pants that are slim in the lower leg
Step 3: Ride, ride, ride, and dispose of this disposable clothing when it wears out
Yes! Zara is good, too. Their twice-a-year sale just started (online, at least.)
Old 06-20-19, 01:57 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
Yes! Zara is good, too. Their twice-a-year sale just started (online, at least.)
Yes, and I forgot to point out that the slimmer fitting styles don't need to be clipped or tucked in. Unless you have a funky pedal stroke, your pants will be nowhere near your chain.
Old 06-23-19, 08:42 PM
yeah_oui

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by matimeo
I recently posted about my new commuter I built to facilitate a shorter commute. The idea is to be able to wear my work clothes and not have to change, saving the time and hassle.

I'm looking for a recommendation for dress pants that will fit the bill. They need to meet the following requirements:

1. Need to be comfortable to ride in on a 2 mile commute.
2. Machine washable
3. Can't be dockers or khacki style pants- have to be dress pants (my work dress code is business formal, slacks, tie, etc).
4. Relatively durable

A quick search pulls up something like this, but is love to hear any personal experiences.
Lululemon makes pants just for this either the ABC or Commission. The ABC pant is a little more casual than the commission pant. I have a pair of the ABC pants. Stretchy and breathable but look good with a dress shirt (seattle business casual here). I ride 2 miles to work, but its mostly down hill.
Old 06-25-19, 07:13 PM
wsgts

Bikes: 2018 Specialized AWOL, 2013 Surly Pacer, 2011 Raleigh One-Way, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 2020 Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
+1 Bluffworks

Originally Posted by Hub Spanner
I love my Bluffworks pants. Their Gramercy model is their dressiest.

I have a three mile commute each way.
I don't commute in bluffs, but they are the only work pants I own. One pair will last all week during work travel since you can wash them in a hotel shower and hang them up to dry.

wsgts
Old 07-01-19, 05:15 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
I've had good luck with Perry Ellis Portfolio brand slacks that my wife tends to find for me at TJ Maxx. They're usually about $20, and I stick to navy, black, or grey. Polyester, flat front, slim fit, and they wash easily and hang dry well. My commute is about 4 miles one way. Dress code for me is business casual (slacks, dress shirt, tie). I work from home a couple days a week and don't always ride when I do go into the office, so I'm not the toughest customer and have not worn out a pair yet.
Old 07-01-19, 09:38 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Lululemon has a ton of pants like this. Their ABC pants are well known.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.