Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

At last Cervelo have a gravel bike

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

At last Cervelo have a gravel bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-20, 02:00 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
I bit the bullet and just got a Specialized Diverge Sport-less money than the Cervelo. I’m getting to grips with the disc brakes which I realize might not be the most convenient for long distance touring as far as maintenance is concerned, but we’ll see. I need to switch out the tires, seat post and saddle and get some decent pedals, but the future shock is nice. It will be neat to see it with an Ortlieb handlebar bag, Carradice saddlebag and Brooks saddle.
interesting bike there nun. Did you get one that has the front shock? Hydro or mech discs?
I'm only familiar with mech discs, but certainly can say with confidence that you shouldnt have to worry about braking system maintenance, my old mech discs can probably go nearly 10,000km on a set of pads--but of course, you may brake differently than I do--but given how heavy my bike has been and getting those mileage numbers, I'm sure you'll find that you are happily suprised by both pad life, and generally how painless they are to live with (does take a bunch of new mechanical techniques and habits to learn, but doable.)
From your past experience, I reckon you'll be fine picking up the new mechanical skills.
What width tires are you thinking of using? I guess it will depend on what riding you do. I can say though that it was surprising to me how I have taken to wider tires, and while yes you may want to go with narrow stuff like you are used to for pavement only rides, there are some slick tires that at wider examples still roll along really really well. Of course though if you have that future shock, you'll find a nice improvement in comfort I would imagine. Add in some 32 or wider tires that have nice riding characteristics and I suspect you find this bike to be more comfortable than your other bikes.
cheers
Old 01-27-20, 08:13 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
interesting bike there nun. Did you get one that has the front shock? Hydro or mech discs?
I'm only familiar with mech discs, but certainly can say with confidence that you shouldnt have to worry about braking system maintenance, my old mech discs can probably go nearly 10,000km on a set of pads--but of course, you may brake differently than I do--but given how heavy my bike has been and getting those mileage numbers, I'm sure you'll find that you are happily suprised by both pad life, and generally how painless they are to live with (does take a bunch of new mechanical techniques and habits to learn, but doable.)
From your past experience, I reckon you'll be fine picking up the new mechanical skills.
What width tires are you thinking of using? I guess it will depend on what riding you do. I can say though that it was surprising to me how I have taken to wider tires, and while yes you may want to go with narrow stuff like you are used to for pavement only rides, there are some slick tires that at wider examples still roll along really really well. Of course though if you have that future shock, you'll find a nice improvement in comfort I would imagine. Add in some 32 or wider tires that have nice riding characteristics and I suspect you find this bike to be more comfortable than your other bikes.
cheers
The bike comes with Shimano hydraulic disc brakes and I've learned to protect the pads whenever I take the wheel off and to make sure no oil gets on them or the discs. I've been assured that the brakes are very reliable and long wearing, but there's no fixing them at the side of the road like you can do with simple rim brakes other than maybe straightening a rotor. The bike also came with a carbon seat tube and I want to swap it out for an aluminium one, either a ZIPP Service Course or a Nitto S-83 as I want a strong 2 bolt seatpost for me and my saddlebag. I'll replace the 700x38mm Sawtooth tires with 32mm Gatorskins as I'm mostly on the road with maybe a bit of secondary dirt roads in remoter areas. Pedals will be the PD-EH500 as the PD-A530s are discontinued. The future shock is a bit weird at first, but not in a bad way and I got use to it quickly enough. On the road it's not really that obvious.
Old 01-27-20, 10:18 PM
djb

Well have fun with the new toy and I'm sure its a hoot to ride. Have you ever ridden with wider tires? I ride gatorskins and like them, but a light wide slick with really nice riding characteristics is a lot of fun, over gravel and dirt etc, and if you enjoy cornering, wide is certainly an advantage, not to mention rough surfaces.
interesting to hear your impression of the fork. Didn't I read thar they come with other springs with different damping rates that you can change yourself?

re pads. Apparently there are little plastic spacer things you can stick between the pads, to avoid pad being pushedout too far with wheel removed. Maybe ask at store? Yes be extra careful of grease, chain oil, on pads and discs. I once was able to straighten a disc using a cleaned pair of adjustable wrenches, and it wasn't that hard.
have fun with it.
would be interesting to read your longer term take on it all sometime later
cheers
Old 01-28-20, 10:25 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Originally Posted by djb
Well have fun with the new toy and I'm sure its a hoot to ride. Have you ever ridden with wider tires? I ride gatorskins and like them, but a light wide slick with really nice riding characteristics is a lot of fun, over gravel and dirt etc, and if you enjoy cornering, wide is certainly an advantage, not to mention rough surfaces.
interesting to hear your impression of the fork. Didn't I read thar they come with other springs with different damping rates that you can change yourself?

re pads. Apparently there are little plastic spacer things you can stick between the pads, to avoid pad being pushedout too far with wheel removed. Maybe ask at store? Yes be extra careful of grease, chain oil, on pads and discs. I once was able to straighten a disc using a cleaned pair of adjustable wrenches, and it wasn't that hard.
have fun with it.
would be interesting to read your longer term take on it all sometime later
cheers
Yes the "Future shock" comes with 3 springs of different stiffnesses. I think I have the medium in right now. The handlebars are pretty high right out of the box and basically level with my saddle which is good as the bar height adjustment is mostly accomplished with stem angle. I have some of the orange pad "savers" already and we'll see how the bike works for touring long term.
Old 01-28-20, 11:34 AM
djb

Forgot to mention also about the bars, read they have the same 12 degrees of flare like the salsa cowbells I have on my troll. I really like the feel of them, and very much like how they feel on rough roads in the drops, and also helping with my troll when it's heavy in terms of handling and giving more leverage when loaded and descending fast and weaving in and out of potholes etc.
anyway, a big fan of this type of bar and would put some on my other bike but am too lazy....
Old 01-28-20, 11:41 AM
nun

Originally Posted by djb
Forgot to mention also about the bars, read they have the same 12 degrees of flare like the salsa cowbells I have on my troll. I really like the feel of them, and very much like how they feel on rough roads in the drops, and also helping with my troll when it's heavy in terms of handling and giving more leverage when loaded and descending fast and weaving in and out of potholes etc.
anyway, a big fan of this type of bar and would put some on my other bike but am too lazy....
Yes the drops are flared out. The bar also has a little step in it at the stem so the bar tops are a little higher than the stem. This makes for a relaxed position. The KlickFix Ortlieb Mount fits just fine, although the gear and brake cables get in the way a bit and I will eventually undo the factory bar tape and reposition the cables. Wit the 38mm tires my saddlebag just hits the tire so I hope I have clearance with 32mm

Last edited by nun; 01-28-20 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-31-20, 10:27 PM
nun

Originally Posted by nun
Yes the drops are flared out. The bar also has a little step in it at the stem so the bar tops are a little higher than the stem. This makes for a relaxed position. The KlickFix Ortlieb Mount fits just fine, although the gear and brake cables get in the way a bit and I will eventually undo the factory bar tape and reposition the cables. Wit the 38mm tires my saddlebag just hits the tire so I hope I have clearance with 32mm
FYI here is the new Diverge-Sport. I have the 700x32 Gatorskins at 70psi and that seems pretty good. otehr old school parts are a Nitto S83 seatpost,
a Brooks Swift saddle and a NOS Carradice Overlander saddlebag. The wheels are the stock DTSwiss R470 with 24 spokes...I might change those up to
32 or 36 spoke rims.

Last edited by nun; 02-01-20 at 08:29 PM.
Likes For nun: