Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Still not getting the bikepacking thing

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Still not getting the bikepacking thing

Old 01-28-20, 11:13 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Hey there PW, that is one hell of a well written piece, thanks a lot for putting it up.
+1.

What struck me the most was this: I have been trying to incorporate more dirt into my routes, but I have yet to do even one full day that is all off-pavement and devoid of the conveniences the pavement often offers, much less multiple days in a row. Perhaps the foot travel comparison is hiking from town to town for a week or maybe passing through at least one town with services during a day vs. spending a week in the backcountry.
Old 01-28-20, 11:41 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
+1.

What struck me the most was this: I have been trying to incorporate more dirt into my routes, but I have yet to do even one full day that is all off-pavement and devoid of the conveniences the pavement often offers, much less multiple days in a row. Perhaps the foot travel comparison is hiking from town to town for a week or maybe passing through at least one town with services during a day vs. spending a week in the backcountry.
Your point is one of the reasons I like to keep the two disciplines separate. It's a very different mindset in that I find bikepacking...rugged, backcountry travel...to be far more taxing on skills than road touring. If I screw the proverbial canine on a bikepacking trip, I could be waiting for a while for any kind of help to come along. Railtrails tend to have towns at regular intervals. Highways tend to have towns are longer intervals. Jeep roads go to towns that no longer exist and, often here in high Colorado, those nonexistent towns come with nonexistent services including the ability to call for help. If I happen to have intimate relationships with the proverbial canine, I'm on my own to get myself to where I can get help.

It's nice that Ms. Bell addressed the bicycle in her article. I find lots of bikepacking bikes to be inadequate to the job. I've done rigid bikepacking (in 1986) and suspended bikepacking now and I'll take the suspended ride over a rigid any day but only for off-pavement riding.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-28-20, 11:50 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
I'm still hung up on rigid forks so for rougher trails I tour on a fat bike and let the tires do the suspension job
Old 01-28-20, 12:28 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts
+1.

Me too. Have only done part of day trail rides. But certainly see the appeal of trying it out, something new and different. Problem is simply that my biking buddies don't have appropriate bikes, nor riding experience, and the few people I know who do it are 20, 25 years younger than me, so the social\fitness fit doesn't really work out.
Plus at my age, most of my peers wouldn't consider even regular bike touring, let alone loose surface isolated stuff.
Heck, I even remember a couple of years ago the young gang I know from a bike store said to me even then that there people trying bike packing because it was getting talked about. Just have to be realistic of conditions and using proper judgement.
Old 01-28-20, 01:15 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Indy,

You ride Gap and C&O so often that you pulled those out of your equation :-) Those two trails will give you multiday dirt route (although it is mostly cultivated dirt) :-)

+1.

Old 01-28-20, 01:39 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
I consider bike touring to be on paved surfaces. I consider bikepacking to include but not limited to unpaved trails and backcountry terrain. Let’s not forget that defining a specific sub category opens up another market for specialized category specific merchandise to sell.
Cool.

I have been bikepacking and did not even know it. Now I can refer to my panniers as bikepacking equipment. That might look like a road, but it was the Confederation Trail on PEI, no cars allowed.

​​​​​​​
Old 01-28-20, 01:49 PM
Wiggle

Bikes: 2019 Trek 520 Disc, 2012 Jamis Ventura Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Cool.

I have been bikepacking and did not even know it. Now I can refer to my panniers as bikepacking equipment. That might look like a road, but it was the Confederation Trail on PEI, no cars allowed.
How'd you find the condition of the confederation trail?
Old 01-28-20, 01:58 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
Indy,

You ride Gap and C&O so often that you pulled those out of your equation :-) Those two trails will give you multiday dirt route (although it is mostly cultivated dirt) :-)
Never done the C&O. GAP up and back last year and one-way in 2013. Forgot about that, but the GAP has plenty of services along the way. I have never done multi-day off-road having to be totally self-sufficient with food, water and places to sleep.
Old 01-28-20, 02:31 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by Wiggle
How'd you find the condition of the confederation trail?
Very wet.

I thought it was a good trail. They put a thin layer of coarse gravel on much of the trail to resist erosion better than the underlying soil. There were a couple spots where the gravel layer was thick enough to slow me down, I had 57mm wide tires. And a couple spots with uncompacted loose sand. But most of the length of the trail the gravel layer was not thick at all and it had little rolling resistance. I saw a trail crew, I stopped and asked what they used for insect repellent, I do not recall the answers, each had their own favorite. PEI is very proud of having a nice trail system and I thought it was pretty good.

I think this photo is where I got off of the ferry.

The photo below was on Cape Breton Island, this was the only time I had to stop and unload the bike on all of the trails I rode. But that was Nova Scotia, not PEI, so not part of the same trail system.

Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 01-28-20, 02:35 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
One thing I can say for sure is the C&O and GAP are not considered bikepacking routes. They could be part of a bikepacking route, connecting to singletrack, but with campsites and towns all along the way, you are never more than an hour from civilization. And you have cell phone coverage most of the way. I think bikepacking requires one to be at least a full day from civilization at some point.
Old 01-28-20, 02:43 PM
PedalingWalrus

yah I know. I did it on regular bike touring setup with panniers and had no issues at all.
Old 01-28-20, 03:15 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Me too. Have only done part of day trail rides. But certainly see the appeal of trying it out, something new and different. Problem is simply that my biking buddies don't have appropriate bikes, nor riding experience, and the few people I know who do it are 20, 25 years younger than me, so the social\fitness fit doesn't really work out.
Plus at my age, most of my peers wouldn't consider even regular bike touring, let alone loose surface isolated stuff.
Heck, I even remember a couple of years ago the young gang I know from a bike store said to me even then that there people trying bike packing because it was getting talked about. Just have to be realistic of conditions and using proper judgement.
I don't take biking buddies along because I don't have them and even when I did have some, they wouldn't have understood anyway. And, although I'm nearly 500 years old in dog years, I won't let that stop me. I just go. I'm even looking at routes that brash young 25 year olds would consider stupidly risky.

You don't have to do death defying rides to enjoy bikepacking, however. I also like to ride old railroads here in Colorado. We don't make them into "rail trails", we just make them into trails and roads that used to be railroads. My Cripple Creek trip was a pretty classic bikepacking trip and wasn't all that hard. I'm thinking of dragging my daughter along on a loop around El Malpais this summer.

I like road touring, especially for very long distance/long time frame rides. But bikepacking is a great way to see and do rides that go places where bicycles usually don't go.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-28-20, 03:53 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
So if I start a day on a paved road into Avery, ID, jump on the unpaved former Milwaukee Road right of way to the unpaved Route of the Hiawatha Trail then an unpaved Forest Service road to the unpaved NorPac Trail and then onto I-90 to the paved Trail of the Coeur d'Allenes I have gone from bike touring to bikepacking back to bike touring all in one day?
I guess. If it’s that important to micro analyze than you have found flaws in my logic.
Old 01-28-20, 03:57 PM
djb

Originally Posted by cyccommute
I don't take biking buddies along because I don't have them and even when I did have some, they wouldn't have understood anyway. And, although I'm nearly 500 years old in dog years, I won't let that stop me. I just go. I'm even looking at routes that brash young 25 year olds would consider stupidly risky.

You don't have to do death defying rides to enjoy bikepacking, however. I also like to ride old railroads here in Colorado. We don't make them into "rail trails", we just make them into trails and roads that used to be railroads. My Cripple Creek trip was a pretty classic bikepacking trip and wasn't all that hard. I'm thinking of dragging my daughter along on a loop around El Malpais this summer.

I like road touring, especially for very long distance/long time frame rides. But bikepacking is a great way to see and do rides that go places where bicycles usually don't go.
Im like you, I dont mind at all riding on anything, and I commute in snow and all that rigamarole so I actually enjoy the challenge of sliding and not putting a foot down. Like you also, I'm very comfortable at speed and being at 8-9/10s , so basically even if I say stuff about being an old geezer compared to young folks, I have no problem tackling stuff where I am comfortable and confident of my bike handling skills.

and as you say, you just use common sense and leave leeway for safety, especially if out in the boonies.
Old 01-28-20, 06:59 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 718 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Very wet.

I thought it was a good trail. They put a thin layer of coarse gravel on much of the trail to resist erosion better than the underlying soil. There were a couple spots where the gravel layer was thick enough to slow me down, I had 57mm wide tires. And a couple spots with uncompacted loose sand. But most of the length of the trail the gravel layer was not thick at all and it had little rolling resistance. I saw a trail crew, I stopped and asked what they used for insect repellent, I do not recall the answers, each had their own favorite. PEI is very proud of having a nice trail system and I thought it was pretty good.
I also found most of it to be fairly decent. At no time did I have any trouble with water on the trail though I found with the section that headed south from the capital to be a lot more loose gravel and even with 700x35 gravel tires the riding could get sketchy and on a couple of the smaller downhills that we came across the bike even went slightly sideways trying to keep it under control in the gravel. Along the north coast was a lot better with a lot less gravel though the trail was more rutted at times. Biggest issue we had was the first night when we got a later start then planned and ended up caught out at dusk and the mosquitoes came out in force. My wife had left my good spray in the car and brought her all natural spray thinking it was sufficient, I think the mosquitoes viewed the stuff as seasoning since it didn't slow them down any. They were also a bit of a problem in the early morning when the dew was still on the ground and the trail was in shade but not as bad as dusk. They bit through everything. The trail was beautiful either way and totally worth the experience.

Last edited by Russ Roth; 01-28-20 at 09:13 PM.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 01-28-20, 07:25 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I also found most of it to be fairly decent. At no time did I have any trouble with water on the trail ...
My photo with the puddles on the Confederation Trail, I took that photo on Canada Day 2019, which if I recall correctly was the fifth day in a row with rain.

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
... we got a later start then planned and ended up caught out at dusk and the mosquitoes came out in force. My wife had left my good spray in the car and brought her all natural spray thinking it was sufficient, I think the mosquitoes viewed the stuff as seasoning since it didn't slow them down any. They were also a bit of a problem in the early morning when the dew was still on the ground and the trail was in shade but not as bad as dusk. They bit through everything. ...
I took this photo on PEI, but parts of Nova Scotia I thought were worse. The mosquitoes would crowd just outside the mosquito netting of my tent door waiting for me to open it.

Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 01-29-20, 12:22 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Depends on whether you used knobblies.
When I tour in Northern Ontario in Canada I use an MTB converted to dropbar and use 26" x 2.125 deep knobby tires. Those tires save me from trying to push the loaded bike up a long hill that might have a pretty loose surface of sand and stones. I don't consider it bike-packing and that's because I use regular road touring gear although I do use Arno straps to really cinch my panniers to their racks. I've never had a pannier come off on any of those logging/mining roads.

I figure that bike-packing is done more with the gear strapped directly to the bicycle and with the gear stowed in as narrow a way as possible to avoid getting hung up on bushes on narrow trails. It's the same reason why I stow my sleeping pad lengthwise on the rear rack instead of crosswise.

The green item with the red thing in the middle of it in this image is my sleeping pad that's 28" wide. Compare the amount of space it needs to the crosswise one on my buddy's bicycle to the right of mine.

With a bike-packing setup the panniers would not be used and the bags replacing them would be mounted as close to the center-line of the bicycle as possible with something bulky but light in weight fastened to the handlebar.

Cheers
Old 01-29-20, 11:02 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
I have coined a new term:
Bike trekking.

I still need decide what bike trekking will consist of, but nobody steal it while I ponder.
Old 01-29-20, 11:25 PM
MarcusT

So if I start a day on a paved road into Avery, ID, jump on the unpaved former Milwaukee Road right of way to the unpaved Route of the Hiawatha Trail then an unpaved Forest Service road to the unpaved NorPac Trail and then onto I-90 to the paved Trail of the Coeur d'Allenes I have gone from bike touring to bikepacking back to bike touring all in one day?
Stop it!
You are messing with universal dimensions that should not be touched!
Old 01-29-20, 11:58 PM
MarcusT

Originally Posted by MarcusT
Bike trekking.

I still need decide what bike trekking will consist of, but nobody steal it while I ponder.
By jove, I have it !!!
Nix trekking. I have created "BIKE HIKING"
The newest niche market to hit cycling since gel
It is something every ride worth their salt has done.
Bike hiking consists of confronting difficult even seemingly impossible situations while riding. It takes great stamina, wise choices and of course a bike.
First you have you bike
Then you have a rider.
When rider and bike are forced off their bike for any reason:
Be it the road/path/trail are too steep either in ascent or descent and the rider needs to walk their bike....that is bike hiking
Mechanical problems (flat, snapped chain,etc)
Saddle sores
They must get off the and "hike" with their bike
Get it???
Discussions will be real and maybe at times get heated.
For example; what are the best shoes for bike hiking? Which side of the bike is best to be on while bike hiking? While bike hiking down a descent is the front brake or rear brake better?
Apologies for the poor grammar, I am just too excited about this term that is sure to out number all the other forums
What do you think?
Old 01-30-20, 12:27 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Too late: https://www.mountainbikeworldwide.co...de/hike-a-bike

Old 01-30-20, 12:29 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Bike trekking.

oh, that's just great! more divisiveness!

and thus began the great schism of 2020: bike trekkie vs. bike trekker

bike long and prosper
Old 01-30-20, 04:14 AM
djb

Marcus, glad to see you have a sense of humor about all of this.
re bike hiking--for years I've been following iohan gueorguiev's excellent travel videos, and he is one hard ass who ends up hiking a lot pushing his bike and lifting it over stuff. Interesting fellow, but a serious hard ass, although a humble one.
Old 01-30-20, 06:35 AM
PedalingWalrus

Iohan is the best
Old 01-30-20, 06:45 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
By jove, I have it !!!
Saddle sores
They must get off the and "hike" with their bike

What do you think?

you just try it, bub..........

......from my cold, dead buttocks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.