Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

If you think you don't need it, you're probably wrong!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

If you think you don't need it, you're probably wrong!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-20, 12:25 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
ouch! happens quick, right? bruised hip is better than a broken wrist

btw, looks like you fell to the left? ;-)

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-29-20 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-29-20, 01:26 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
ouch! happens quick, right? bruised hip is better than a broken wrist

btw, looks like you fell to the left? ;-)
Yep. The bike separated from me after falling. I've had a few falls this winter at low speeds. Three in one day, but it was a nasty storm day when I was on a trail next to a recently plowed road. The snow plow truck had sprayed some big chunks of hard packed snow onto the trail. I was slowly trying to navigate through this 'mine' field. Twice I fell over after hitting a big chunk of hard snow. No harm done. The third time was on my own driveway, again, hitting some thick unplowed snow bank.

It's been a tough winter so far.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 01-29-20, 02:04 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
I had a similar experience twice. On the same ride.

The fall was like my bike had disappeared from under me and I fell on my ass. It hurt so much I couldn't sit for a week.

Don't want to repeat it.
Old 01-29-20, 02:15 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by amt0571
i had a similar experience twice. On the same ride.

The fall was like my bike had disappeared from under me and i fell on my ass. It hurt so much i couldn't sit for a week.

Don't want to repeat it, again.
fify.
Old 01-29-20, 05:42 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I've had a few falls this winter at low speeds.

In my experience low speed crashes can sometimes be worse and more painful than higher speed crashes...I went down on ice twice on new years day ride earlier this year. I was riding my mountain bike with drop bars and no studs on a snow covered gravel road with ice underneath the snow. The first time I went down I was moving at about 20 km/h and I had my hands in the drops when my front wheel slid out and I went down on my side. This first crash was very smooth and didn't hurt at all....My second crash happened when I was going much slower, had my hands on the hoods, and I was standing on the pedals climbing an incline, when all of the sudden my front wheel slid out and I went down. This second crash really hurt, I hit my knee and sprained my wrist a little.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-29-20, 07:55 PM
srestrepo

Bikes: 2016 Felt Z85 105, 2016 GT Grade Sora

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have experienced where the front wheel will slip a bit when leaning into turns. I've also experienced this awful "grabbing" phenomenon when I ride near the painted lines on the road especially if the lines are raised a bit. It's like the studs want to climb the line and it pulls the bike up and over. If it helps any, I ride 35mm schwalbe marathon winters with the 4 rows of studs.

I've also experienced a low speed fall riding up to the guard shack at my job in front of a line of cars ready to scan my badge and ride under the toll gate as it rises and having the bike fall out from underneath me. I fell against the window of the guard shack (imagine this as comically as you like). And people ran to help me up. It was embarrassing to say the least.

Other than frozen ruts and deep powder, these studded tires are phenomenal. Do take the advice I've learned from this forum, play with your pressures. They make a big difference.
Old 01-29-20, 09:20 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Thanks to this thread I rode my studded winter bike today since temps were expected to hover around freezing and some moisture was expected. My snow bike is big and heavy, but with the Nokian W106's pumped up to 70psi, 5-above max, they roll on the dry even better than at 65psi. Still sound like rice crispies to me.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 01-30-20, 08:04 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by BobbyG
sound like rice crispies
haha yup

Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-30-20, 10:26 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by denada
i currently have a 700 multitrack that i could make my winter bike, but craigslist is more likely its future.
FYI, steel Treks have their fans (I have two); you might try flogging it in the C&V forum before CL.
Old 01-30-20, 11:58 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
FYI, steel Treks have their fans (I have two); you might try flogging it in the C&V forum before CL.
Maybe for local sale in Chicagoland. But the 700 was Trek's entry-level hybrid BITD. Bulletproof commuter potential for sure, but wouldn't fetch enough to justify the shipping cost.
Old 01-30-20, 03:15 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
maybe for local sale in chicagoland. But the 700 was trek's entry-level hybrid bitd. Bulletproof commuter potential for sure, but wouldn't fetch enough to justify the shipping cost.
Old 01-30-20, 09:43 PM
denada

Bikes: '07 jamis venture race, '19 trek fx sport 4

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
trek multitrack has cult following in chicago. will be easy craigslist sell. maybe not during february though.
Old 01-30-20, 10:17 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
What I do in winter is at night I go to a park or schoolyard where they built a temporary outdoor ice rink. I have soft material on my 26" x 2.125" knobby tires. Once at the rink I let some air out of the tires and then I practice riding on that black ice. I commuted all my working life in Toronto Canada and I never fell on ice and I credit it to having practiced riding on ice early in the winter season. Good quality tires with a grippy tread compound are needed. BEWARE cheap tires as the compound used for the tread of those freezes and the tire then acts like an ice skate and you have very little control.

Cheers
Old 01-31-20, 04:20 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
What I do in winter is at night I go to a park or schoolyard where they built a temporary outdoor ice rink. I have soft material on my 26" x 2.125" knobby tires. Once at the rink I let some air out of the tires and then I practice riding on that black ice. I commuted all my working life in Toronto Canada and I never fell on ice and I credit it to having practiced riding on ice early in the winter season. Good quality tires with a grippy tread compound are needed. BEWARE cheap tires as the compound used for the tread of those freezes and the tire then acts like an ice skate and you have very little control.

Cheers
I've ridden over patches of ice with regular knobby tires made from softer rubber, but I still get a little nervous every time I do it. Riding with studs gives me a lot more confidence and it feels very secure. Sure you can still crash with studs but there is no question that they work very well and provide a lot of grip...Regular tires can very easily slide out especially when turning, cornering or leaning during turns, studs always give that extra security in those type of situations....One thing I always wanted to try is to see if siping regular tires would increase traction on ice.
Old 01-31-20, 05:18 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I've ridden over patches of ice with regular knobby tires made from softer rubber, but I still get a little nervous every time I do it. Riding with studs gives me a lot more confidence and it feels very secure. Sure you can still crash with studs but there is no question that they work very well and provide a lot of grip...Regular tires can very easily slide out especially when turning, cornering or leaning during turns, studs always give that extra security in those type of situations....One thing I always wanted to try is to see if siping regular tires would increase traction on ice.
I agree. There's been patches of ice on the MUP all this week, but because I'm traveling in a straight line over it, there is no issue. In my OP, I was slowing down and at the same time turning left. Both counted against me on that patch of black ice.
Old 01-31-20, 07:26 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I've often wondered what a soft compound 26" x 2.125" slick tire would be like on ice. I know that my old Michelin Pro 19mm Slicks had surprising grip on ice or hardpacked snow that was glazed.

Cheers
Old 02-01-20, 04:22 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Steely Dan

as a 4 season bike commuter in chicago for over a decade now:

# of falls riding in the winter on studded tires: 0

# of falls riding in the winter before i got wise to studded tires: too numerous to remember
that mechanic gave you some utterly worthless advice.

studded tires absolutely work for keeping a bicycle upright on ice.

i have ridden across ice rinks with confidence on my Schwalbe Marathon Winter tires.
Studs are absolutely effective unless you are making hard turns on ice or riding on rutted refrozen ice. My commute is too tense if I'm riding 3-season tires on ice; I like the peace of mind that studs impart. This winter I'm riding 45 NRTH Gravdal 4-row studded on a Pedelec bike and am very happy - the modest electric assist overcomes the added rolling resistance of the studs nicely, which is all I desire. I switch to my regular light hybrid commuter bike when the roads/paths are clear.
Old 02-01-20, 04:24 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
I liken my studs on dry pavement to a mobile meat grinder. It's so noisy on the downhills that pedestrians step aside far in advance of my arrival.
Old 02-03-20, 08:10 AM
rumrunn6

I've often wondered what a soft compound 26" x 2.125" slick tire would be like on ice
just put your pads on before you try
Old 02-03-20, 08:26 AM
Miele Man

just put your pads on before you try
Back in the mid-1980s I rode 19mm Michelin Hi-Lite Pro Folding slicks on ice and was amazed at how well the gripped. I imagine that a similar compound in a 2.125" or 2.25" slick tire would have fantastic grip.

Cheers
Old 02-03-20, 09:51 AM
rumrunn6

Back in the mid-1980s I rode 19mm Michelin Hi-Lite Pro Folding slicks on ice and was amazed at how well the gripped. I imagine that a similar compound in a 2.125" or 2.25" slick tire would have fantastic grip.
I would dare you, but I like you ...
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 02-03-20, 12:12 PM
BWB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A set of studded tires for your main bike -- or, hell, a set for your *three* favorite bikes -- is still cheaper than an ER visit.
Old 02-03-20, 02:32 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58

Some examples:
- Freeze thaw cycles cause black ice over night from melting snow or damp conditions
but those freeze thaw cycles can be nasty...
Yassssss

+1,000,000

I have had conditions go from "ridable/snowy slush" to "impassible" in less than 1 day because the crap on the road froze solid.

I don't have studs ATM but I run 3" knobby tires which are VERY capable on ALL surfaces... except ice...
Old 02-03-20, 07:26 PM
MikeTé

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
Beware, studs can also "cause" falls, when going too fast around turns, on dry pavement. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Lower the pressure in the tires, CX-style. That allows more rubber contact, studs still grab. The sidewalls are so stiff on my (40mm) Winter Marathons I can ride 30 psi in the cold.
Old 02-03-20, 08:09 PM
MikeTé

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Every winter, I ride the length of the Rideau Canal skateway, about 7km one way. (I have to do it at night, bikes not allowed). Even on fresh re-surfacing (BIG Zamboni), no slipping. I don't do any CX whipping-around, though....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.