Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

USA touring suggestions wanted

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

USA touring suggestions wanted

Old 02-04-20, 06:57 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
Thanks Jim.

Re Pacific coast trip, before I forget, a number of riders I met who did the Washington State part told me that it was kinda boring, and that they would skip it in hindsight. I flew to Portland and got to the coast by bus and started maybe in Astoria. Not necessarily easy though transporting two bikes and stuff by bus though, I was in my late 20s and didn't think about the hassle of it, but glad that I started there.
I also then had more time at end of trip to visit San Fransisco and do a hiking trip with a friend who lived near SF. Sf was an interesting city to be a tourist also. Riding over golden gate bridge was pretty cool also.
Greg, to show how popular this route was even back then, pre internet, I used a known book, cycling the Pacific coast, as a guide. The book was around for decades, with detailed route info, campground suggestions etc. I still have my copy.

Greg, for more information about Quebec riding options, look at the " Velo Quebec" website and specifically "La Route Verte" maps.
Velo Quebec is an excellent organization that has lots of resources and has put a lot of effort into biking infrastructure here, including the various route verte routes --- but they are shared road routes mostly, not dedicated bike paths, but try to find less busy options. Pretty good all in all

Check out the website. Has an English option
Likes For djb:
Old 02-04-20, 08:34 AM
Lanesplitter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
While we are on the subject, I was thinking of doing a partial loop from Chicago Amtrak to Manitowoc ferry to Ludington, then down to South Bend to catch the Amtrak train home. I’ve found decent stops spaced at around 50 miles, but have no idea if there are any areas to be avoided? Already plan to skip the area south of the lake, but am unfamiliar with the larger cities such as Milwaukee. Also, what would be the best time of the summer to avoid black flies and hot weather? Was thinking late June.
It's somewhat hard to tell with black flies, but I doubt they'll be a nuisance. Mosquitos will be--at least until late August--but fortunately, the sable flies and deer flies are found more on the northern half if the lake. Deer flies go faster than you can ride, so when you pick-up a swarm, you can't lose them.

The​ only area I would avoid is Muskegon. It is a tough, high crime city. Luckily, there's a bike trail that takes you the whole way through. One thing to be cautious of, however, is the record levels of water in the lakes.

Last year, a slew of Bridges and roads were washed out, including the trail in Muskegon. We made it, but barely. Water was up to my panniers almost. I also remember having to take a detour in Pentwater because a bridge was out (which I never saw because a local cyclist warned us and rode with us a different way). Also, parts of the bike trail in Chicago are inundated. Late June has some of the highest levels of the year as well, where I went in September. What's more, this year is projected to have higher levels than last year. You really see the violent power of the lake when it's this high!

​​​​​There are a few things I would definitely try the see that would be easy to miss. In Ludington, north of the ferry, the state park is magnificent. A few miles of sand dunes and a series of bike trails. It's a can't miss. Also, north of the ferry in Manitowoc, in Two Rivers, which is the next town (a spectacular trail on the water gets you mostly there), is Point Beach State Park. It has a bike trail through a cedar swamp that was one of the highlights of the whole lake. Maybe camp there, then ride to the ferry for the afternoon, then camp at Ludington the next night. That would be something!

Oh, also, Hart-Montague trail is great. It's newly paved and forty miles long. It doesn't hug the coast though. Nevertheless, you can't beat its lush, sassafras canopy. So great to ride on!

Finally, temperature won't be a problem, not on the lake. Any place inland will be shady. Let's hope this June and July see normal weather, in which case expect a day or two of rain and wind. Last year had quite a bit more.

Last edited by Lanesplitter; 02-04-20 at 12:42 PM.
Likes For Lanesplitter:
Old 02-04-20, 09:00 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Lanesplitter
It's somewhat hard to tell with black flies, but I doubt they'll be a nuisance. Mosquitos will be--at least until late August--but fortunately, the sable flies and deer flies are found more on the northern half if the lake. Deer flies go faster than you can ride, so when you pick-up a swarm, you can't lose them.
The only area I would avoid is Muskegon. It is a tough, high crime city. Luckily, there's a bike trail that takes you the whole way through. One thing to be cautious of, however, is the record levels of water in the lakes.

Last year, a slew of Bridges and roads were washed out, including the trail in Muskegon. We made it, but barely. Water was up to my panniers almost. I also remember having to take a detour in Pentwater because a bridge was out (which I never saw because a local cyclist warned us and rode with us a different way). Also, parts of the bike trail in Chicago are inundated. Late June has some of the highest levels of the year as well, where I went in September. What's more, this year is projected to have higher levels than last year. You really see the violent power of the lake when it's this high!

​​​​​There are a few things I would definitely try the see that would be easy to miss. In Ludington, north of the ferry, the state park is magnificent. A few miles of sand dunes and a series of bike trails. It's a can't miss. Also, north of the ferry in Manitowoc, in Two Rivers, which is the next town (a spectacular trail on the water gets you mostly there), is Point Beach State Park. It has a bike trail through a cedar swamp that was one of the highlights of the whole lake. Maybe camp there, then ride to the ferry for the afternoon, then camp at Ludington the next night. That would be something!

Oh, also, Hart-Montague trail is great. Its newly paved and forty miles long. It doesn't hug the coast though. Nevertheless, you can't beat its lush, sassafras canopy. So great to ride on!
Certainly appreciate all the local knowledge. Will have to fit Point Beach State Park into the itinerary. Wasn’t planning to ride north of the ferry, but it sounds nice. Not to derail this thread much further, when you say to avoid Muskegon, is the state park there OK? I assume you are talking about the city itself.
Old 02-04-20, 09:14 AM
Lanesplitter

Originally Posted by alan s
Certainly appreciate all the local knowledge. Will have to fit Point Beach State Park into the itinerary. Wasn’t planning to ride north of the ferry, but it sounds nice. Not to derail this thread much further, when you say to avoid Muskegon, is the state park there OK? I assume you are talking about the city itself.
The state park is fine, it's the city that is problematic. The park has a great reputation, but every time I go up there, I end up bypassing it because of the Hart-Montague trail I mentioned. I stealth camp off it rather than use the state park, which isn't far away.
Old 02-05-20, 10:01 PM
Bobcarlson1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
For something different, consider traveling up US 7. It travels north through rural western Connecticut, up through the Berkshires in MA and into Vermont. It veers NNW around Burlington and goes to Lake Champlain. You can pick up the Adventure Cycling maps of the Lake Champlain bike routes. They (I think) hook into AC's Adirondack loop maps. If you want to make a circuit, you can follow the Hudson down to NYC and make a loop of the whole trip. Feeling more adventurous? At Albany, pick up the Erie Canal bikepath all the way out to Buffalo.
Likes For Bobcarlson1:
Old 02-06-20, 05:17 AM
gregmacc

Bikes: ... too many ...

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Milwaukee, though interesting and cool in it's own right, I only suggested because I think it's a great place to begin a bike tour. The reason is, between Chicago and Milwaukee there's a fair amount of congestion. While there is a significant rail trail which helps a ton, there are also large segments without. Once you get out of Milwaukee going north, however, there's a long rail trail, then, before you know, you're firmly in northern Wisconsin, which has no traffic at all. Wisconsin is very quiet once you get up north. There is also a very extensive network of rail trails. I went out there for a second time last summer and really loved how serene it was. It seemed like every park we had to ourselves. It's not like that everywhere. Plus people drive very calm. No horns or close passes. Ever. It is a lot different, even across the lake, in Michigan, to say nothing of the northeast.

One could even head west at Green Bay to Minneapolis, Minnesota, then back to Chicago by train as another very quiet option. Minnesota has tons of rail trails, including the Paul Bunyan trail, which is the longest paved one in the country. Deep forests and lakes, plus pancake flat. Maybe the flattest area in the country one can tour while still enjoying epic scenery.

Anyway, I hope you have a great tour! There are tons of great suggestions here. Cheers!
So maybe training it from Pittsburgh through to Milwaukee might be the preferred option? ... Wisconsin is getting some rave reviews from you guys and sounds like our kind of place ...
Old 02-06-20, 05:19 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Maps and Guidebooks :: Lake Champlain Bikeways

Originally Posted by Bobcarlson1
For something different, consider traveling up US 7. It travels north through rural western Connecticut, up through the Berkshires in MA and into Vermont. It veers NNW around Burlington and goes to Lake Champlain. You can pick up the Adventure Cycling maps of the Lake Champlain bike routes. They (I think) hook into AC's Adirondack loop maps. If you want to make a circuit, you can follow the Hudson down to NYC and make a loop of the whole trip. Feeling more adventurous? At Albany, pick up the Erie Canal bikepath all the way out to Buffalo.
Likes For PedalingWalrus:
Old 02-06-20, 05:28 AM
gregmacc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Hah, just to throw a spanner in the works, have you considered touring Japan? Hokkaido is starting to warm up nicely then. It's out favourite place to tour, we're on number 4 there this year, doing the last bit so we can say we've ridden the length of Japan. Flights on Japan Airlines are usually pretty cheap,except maybe June will clash with the Olympics and you get 2 bags at 23kg each no extra charge, provided you can get your box under 203cm total dimensions. Have a look on Facebook at Japan Cycling Navigator. heaps of good tips there.
BTW we didn't really have any issues with bugs on Vancouver Island or the west coast in July and August. Didn't have any bear issues either, though we saw quite a few Black Bears on Vancouver Island. We carried bear spray, did bear hangs for our food in remote areas and most importantly used Air Zounds air horns to give them a heads up when we were riding on logging roads. We had some pop out of bushes on the side of the road ahead of us to see what the noise was. Also good going fast downhill around corners so you don't surprise them.
... not really much of a spanner Trev ... it's tempting but we are set on the USA ... never really considered bike touring Japan, although it's on our bucket list for more of a backpacking adventure ... I know Jan Heine (of Bicycle Quarterly) can't get enough of the place on bikes so why not...
Old 02-06-20, 05:34 AM
gregmacc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KDR
Arizona and Utah would be brutally hot except at high elevations. California away from the coast would be too hot for me as well. I love New England and riding or driving there is always fun with many nice small towns in every direction. I think Wisconsin should be on your short list. It has varied terrain but doesn't require long difficult climbs and it seems like there is a well maintained farm road almost every mile in the southern part of the state because it was settled by farmers before automobiles were invented and they had to get their goods to market. Besides the coast of Lake Michigan there are thousands of smaller lakes all over the state.
I live in Southern California and it's hard for me to think of places here that I would want to ride/tour in the Summer due to heavy motor vehicle traffic.
... another rave review for Wisconsin ... thanks for your thoughts KDR ...
Old 02-06-20, 05:42 AM
gregmacc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jwatt
There is a 4600 km bicycle route system in Quebec, most of it on non-busy roads. It includes a 120 mile rail trail in the laurentians. You can ride 175 mi from Montreal to Quebec City and back. You can go beyond Quebec City out to the Gaspe. You can ride around Lac St Jean. You can ride 150 mi from Montreal South across the border to Middlebury Vermont and back. Or you can cross lake Champlain near Middlebury to New York State and ride back up to Montreal in the New York side of the lake. Canada and Quebec in particular is more bicycle friendly than the US. It's a great place to ride.
Sounds pretty compelling jwatt ... my research project just became even more extensive ... thanks for the suggestions ...
Old 02-06-20, 05:57 AM
gregmacc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
Basically, the way I see it, for June there is a fine line between desert heat and bug warfare when it comes to multi week tour in the USA. Luckily my preconceived idea of an Aussie is the last thing they want to see is a desert wilderness when going to visit another continent. I think they may prefer lush green towns with culture and nature and sights. ... kind of like Melbourne but on steroids ;-) ha ha. That's coming from someone who has never been to Australia. It's pitiful I know. This work thing is a hindrance ;-)

If You decide to do Lake Champlain or Magog or anything near us we may consider crossing paths with You over the weekend if You're interested. Weekend warriors we are for sure.
... would definitely like to catch-up if we were to visit the north east ... don't start me on Melbourne! ... it's big bold and brash, actually bigger than most American cities believe it or not, with an incredibly diverse cultural melting pot. It has the largest population of people with a Greek family background outside of Athens for example. Melbourne on steroids? ... please no ...
Old 02-06-20, 06:08 AM
gregmacc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
There are some parts of Milwaukee and Chicago that you likely want to avoid if you are riding a bike, unfortunately I can't advise on specific areas, all I can say is that there are some high crime areas. I live in Madison, WI, close enough to know that some places should be avoided but far enough away to not have details on where to avoid. This is only a guess on my part, but I am guessing if you rode the bike north from downtown Chicago along the lake shore, that would probably be safe through Chicago and suburbs but I would suggest you verify this with some that know more about it than I do. I do not know if the lake shore through Milwaukee and suburbs would all be safe or if there are areas to avoid, that would be something to investigate further.
Thanks for the heads-up regarding the personal safety side of things Tourist ... hadn't really given it much thought beyond the bear factor further north ...
Old 02-06-20, 06:14 AM
gregmacc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
would say pacific northwest (washington/oregon/nor cal) but it's likely to be mostly foggy during your riding window. same with coastal central california and coastal southern california.
inland central and southern california could be pleasant (likely) or uncomfortable. will probably be happiest with the northern rockies area (idaho/montana/wyoming). hit glacier/yellowstobe/grand tetons
and plenty of other places. fly into salt lake city or spokane or boise (prob slc). it'll be difficult to beat the scenery in the northern rockies. early/mid june is probably too early to hit the banff, canada area over the border
and the ridiculous multiplicity of national parks in that area. maybe late june...

possible to do an inland/mountain tour of central/southern california then. deserts will be too hot and coast will be overcast. san diego to san francisco (or vice versa) inland or just the southern california mountain range roads are a solid two weeks at that pace. since you have six weeks, i'd recommend doing the flagstaff/grand canyon area afterwards. you'd hafta fly as the surrounding deserts would be uncomfortably hot. then possibly the salt lake city mtns area or extreme northern nevada area before departing.
Thanks for the suggestions ooga ... maybe we need 6 months
Old 02-06-20, 06:29 AM
gregmacc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Thanks Jim.

Re Pacific coast trip, before I forget, a number of riders I met who did the Washington State part told me that it was kinda boring, and that they would skip it in hindsight. I flew to Portland and got to the coast by bus and started maybe in Astoria. Not necessarily easy though transporting two bikes and stuff by bus though, I was in my late 20s and didn't think about the hassle of it, but glad that I started there.
I also then had more time at end of trip to visit San Fransisco and do a hiking trip with a friend who lived near SF. Sf was an interesting city to be a tourist also. Riding over golden gate bridge was pretty cool also.
Greg, to show how popular this route was even back then, pre internet, I used a known book, cycling the Pacific coast, as a guide. The book was around for decades, with detailed route info, campground suggestions etc. I still have my copy.

Greg, for more information about Quebec riding options, look at the " Velo Quebec" website and specifically "La Route Verte" maps.
Velo Quebec is an excellent organization that has lots of resources and has put a lot of effort into biking infrastructure here, including the various route verte routes --- but they are shared road routes mostly, not dedicated bike paths, but try to find less busy options. Pretty good all in all

Check out the website. Has an English option
Thanks djb ... the Quebec area is getting lots of love on this thread and I totally get why ... my only reservation is having to deal with the language. I know that could sound trivial but it began to be a bit of an issue for us 2 years ago when we spent 3 months touring France and Germany. Don't get me wrong, we had a wonderful tour and we plan to go back sometime ... we just found the constant stress of "possibly" not being understood became exhausting at times. When we were younger travelling in Europe and dealing with the languages seemed to be a lot easier for some reason ... maybe we just didn't care so much about anything ...
For this trip we have decided to eliminate as many potentially challenging issues as possible ... we are going for more of a holiday than an adventure.

Last edited by gregmacc; 02-06-20 at 06:43 AM.
Old 02-06-20, 06:35 AM
gregmacc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The​ only area I would avoid is Muskegon. It is a tough, high crime city. Luckily, there's a bike trail that takes you the whole way through. One thing to be cautious of, however, is the record levels of water in the lakes.

Oh, also, Hart-Montague trail is great. It's newly paved and forty miles long. It doesn't hug the coast though. Nevertheless, you can't beat its lush, sassafras canopy. So great to ride on!

Finally, temperature won't be a problem, not on the lake. Any place inland will be shady. Let's hope this June and July see normal weather, in which case expect a day or two of rain and wind. Last year had quite a bit more.
Thanks for the "can't miss" suggestions lanesplitter ... I'll be sure to investigate them more closely if we decide to go that way ... which seems to be highly likely at this stage
Old 02-06-20, 06:39 AM
gregmacc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bobcarlson1
Thanks for that Bob ... we've heard some really good reports of the Erie Canal bike path ...
Old 02-06-20, 07:38 AM
Lanesplitter

Originally Posted by gregmacc
So maybe training it from Pittsburgh through to Milwaukee might be the preferred option? ... Wisconsin is getting some rave reviews from you guys and sounds like our kind of place ...
Since time is a factor, I'm a firm believer in quality miles. From Chicago to Milwaukee is perhaps the worst stretch of the lake, besides Gary, Indiana. That's time--a hundred miles worth--that would be much better spent, in my view, in Door County, which is just spectacular. Even if you can just get to Cave Point, which is close to the mainland, it could be the highlight of the trip. Plus a bike trail gets you fifty miles north out of Milwaukee. In my experience bike touring, which is most of the US, it's not cities that are a problem, but the sprawl around them.

The other thing is, usually there are layovers in Chicago. Your bike will be checked, along with your baggage. All you need to do is put your carry-ons into a locker, then you're free to see the city unencumbered.
Old 02-06-20, 07:40 AM
djb

Greg and Madame Greg
re language, totally get it. The times I've been in parts of Germany and people only spoke German, it's a weird feeling, and completely get the "holiday" vs "adventure".
Hey different topic, I used to have bikes (motorbikes) what bike dud you do that 1980 tour on?
I still keep up my license but haven't owned one for decades, but being on two wheels is one of my favorite things throughout my life. Once in a blue moon I get to ride modern stuff and it always amazes me the world of differences / improvements from the 70s stuff I started out on, chassis, brakes, suspension, motors....
Old 02-06-20, 07:59 AM
djb

Greg+
Oh, keep forgetting to bring this up.... the importance of robust and established health insurance.

As fellow citizens of developed first world nations with universal heath care, you must be certain that your travel insurance is robust and with an established company. A hospital stay in the U.S. could run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars or more, so do make sure of the details of your travel insurance, including repatriation by plane.

The reality of possible financial life changing debt is "an elephant in the room" topic, and certainly not one I mean to debate here (apologies to those offended by my comments btw) but do inform yourself of your insurance details of specifics.
the old " hope for the best but plan for the worst"

You are most likely aware already, but thought it best to mention. As a Canadian living near the border, this is always something I've thought of. Even when younger and single, I would take out travel insurance at a small dollar amount per day thing with a large established company. You just can't take the chance.
Old 02-06-20, 10:48 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I think you need to send a private message to Machka, if I recall correctly she is a Canadian that lives in Australia, she has traveled the world with a bike. She may have some advice.
https://www.bikeforums.net/members/machka-4588.html

Originally Posted by gregmacc
Thanks djb ... the Quebec area is getting lots of love on this thread and I totally get why ... my only reservation is having to deal with the language. I know that could sound trivial but it began to be a bit of an issue for us 2 years ago when we spent 3 months touring France and Germany. Don't get me wrong, we had a wonderful tour and we plan to go back sometime ... we just found the constant stress of "possibly" not being understood became exhausting at times. When we were younger travelling in Europe and dealing with the languages seemed to be a lot easier for some reason ... maybe we just didn't care so much about anything ...
For this trip we have decided to eliminate as many potentially challenging issues as possible ... we are going for more of a holiday than an adventure.
Hmmm, and I was starting to wonder if I should do a solo bike trip in France, I can't think of any French words other than ones I heard in movies. I have been part of a couple guided bike trips in Czech Republic, Austria, Hungary, Spain and Portugal, in rural areas I often could not communicate. I was wondering about France, I think you just answered my question. When I did Iceland, I had no troubles at all communicating, almost everyone I talked to had adequate English everywhere, but I think that was an exception and not the rule for foreign travel.

Originally Posted by djb
Greg+
Oh, keep forgetting to bring this up.... the importance of robust and established health insurance.
To confirm comments by Djb, health care in USA is a mess. You should assume that nothing in the form of health care will be available unless you have some form of coverage or vast wealth. When I leave USA I always buy some form of supplemental coverage. I usually have bought my plane ticket from an on-line travel agent they also offered some form of trip insurance that had some emergency health coverage, although only emergency care was covered.
Old 02-06-20, 03:43 PM
djb

re health hospital costs, personal anecdotes

A fellow I knew from Montreal went to San Fran about 25 years ago, rented a bicycle, had a dumb go over the handlebars slow accident and hit his wrist. Was ok, but it kept hurting and finally went to a hospital. Had x-ray, a consult, had a cast put on, etc, was out in x hours, not too many. Came home and then received the hospital bill--I dont remember the exact number, but it was prob 3 or 4000. He then had to do all the paper work to get the Quebec (province) health care to cover it, and I suspect from old memories that he had to pay a small amount himself.
My parents were camping in New England and still remember the story told by the campground operator of having to sell the house to pay for some treatment.
My wife recently was at a conference in the states, and a fellow conference attendee had a similar story---now the usual response is that these people didnt have proper insurance, and thats a whole other topic, but the main thing here is that in my family, we have met Americans who had life changing financial pressures brought upon by having bad luck of cancer this or cancer that or whatever, and not "having proper" insurance, ie fine print etc.

sure , its anecdotal, and very possibly the details are wrong, but they do stick in my mind about the possible consequences of travelling in the states and not having proper health insurance.
The broken wrist example is the best one in my opinion to bring up, a minor dumb accident, not a hospital stay, but still something that could run into thousands if you fell off and got well scraped up, but essentially ok--a realistic eventuality of riding a bike while on a trip.
Old 02-06-20, 05:11 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
My friends from EU countries just get a travel insurance. Insurance companies are connected to their health coverage automatically and are aware of various countries’ conditions to be able to price their insurance accordingly...otherwise they would be out of business soon...but nevertheless they do have special instructions should you have an incident in countries with high cost i.e. get back to your own country after initial treatment should you require additional treatment etc etc...
Old 02-06-20, 11:36 PM
stevepusser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Yes, inland northern California can be quite hot in summer, but for the most part, it's a very dry heat once you get away from the irrigated low valleys. You can combine Amtrak with their Thru buses to get to Yosemite Valley, and then with another bus to get to the very nice Mammoth Lakes/Mono area, if Tioga Pass is a bit much. There's then another mini-bus, Eastern Sierra Rapid Transit, that can get you up to the Lake Tahoe area at 6000 ft, which is also comfortable.

Someone mentioned Calaveras Trees State Park--it's very nice, and had some large hike and bike sites when I stayed there several times. I was always coming in from the east from the Tahoe area, though, and Ebbets Pass/Pacific Grade over the Sierra will be an experience if you ever do it--one part of Pacific Grade hits 26% on the inside of the first really sharp switchback in the second part of that climb. That really took it out of me one year, and each of the seven little climbs after Bear Valley on the way to Big Trees was like another punch in the gut...should stayed at Lake Alpine that year.
Old 03-01-20, 09:51 AM
djb

greg and other two quarters,
there is an ex pro bicycle racer that Ive read books he has written and follow his youtube stuff, and last year he had a bad crash on a velodrome track during tryouts for being on the Yank Olympic track team. Got busted up fairly good and obviously had to spend time in hospital etc operation etc.

I watch his vids and this recent one is a short one of him talking of the bills he has been receiving from the hospitals, and a general look at the whole "private insurance" and fine print limitations / inherent fighting for coverage that is part and parcel of the American private health insurance system.

this is not to be alarmist, but its worth watching (under 10 mins I think) simply to get an idea of what costs are involved with stuff.

and for others, to simply be very aware of the importance of (hopefully) proper and robust health insurance when travelling in the States...

Old 03-01-20, 07:18 PM
gregmacc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
greg and other two quarters,
there is an ex pro bicycle racer that Ive read books he has written and follow his youtube stuff, and last year he had a bad crash on a velodrome track during tryouts for being on the Yank Olympic track team. Got busted up fairly good and obviously had to spend time in hospital etc operation etc.

I watch his vids and this recent one is a short one of him talking of the bills he has been receiving from the hospitals, and a general look at the whole "private insurance" and fine print limitations / inherent fighting for coverage that is part and parcel of the American private health insurance system.

this is not to be alarmist, but its worth watching (under 10 mins I think) simply to get an idea of what costs are involved with stuff.

and for others, to simply be very aware of the importance of (hopefully) proper and robust health insurance when travelling in the States...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtH3...nel=PhilGaimon
Thanks djb ... I don't know about Canada but the introduction of the relatively excellent Australian public health care system (Medicare) resulted from a protracted outpouring of political blood sweat and tears. It happened only a few short decades ago at a time when we had a manufacturing based economy (cars, whitegoods etc.) and labour governments and unions were ruling the roost. Prior to that time only the wealthy and well connected could afford a prolonged period of acute care hospitalisation/therapies. Sound familiar? ... Such a radical social/political reform would never happen during the current political environment in Australia.
I contacted our insurance company a few days ago (R.A.A. here in Adelaide) regarding travel insurance for the trip. I specifically discussed the state of the health care "system" in the U.S.
The agent assured me that we would be fully covered for all hospitalisation costs incurred in the event of such things as crash trauma and Coronavirus infection.
What was a worry though was the fact that since January 20th they will not be covering flight cancellations due to Coronavirus issues. Consequently we have been paying close attention to developments with the global Coronavirus situation and it just keeps getting worse. We have put our plans on hold. I'm still actively researching all aspects of the trip. However we are now looking at putting our flight tickets purchase off until maybe a couple of weeks out from our planned departure time.
Another issue is the continued downward slide of the Australian dollar ... it's currently hovering around 65c against the U.S.$ ... the lowest it has been for 10 years.

Last edited by gregmacc; 03-01-20 at 09:17 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.