Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Anyone have any experience with Mozie (or Mosie) bikes?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 01-31-20, 09:18 AM
TimmyJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A recent move extended my commute from a mile each way to 7 miles each way and I'm using it as an excuse to update the ride. I spotted a very lightly used Mozie Hugo on my local craigslist for what seems to be a solid price ($500), but wanted some additional feedback since the info on this bike builder (Mozie) is very sparse. The Hugo seems to meet all my specs, and has some seemingly deluxe add-ons like the leather saddle and rack that I'm sure I'd enjoy. So the questions are: Is this a good buy? Anyone have any real-word experience with Mozie (i.e. are they well made)? Are there other bikes in this price range (or less) that meet the criteria below?

New ride criteria:
  • Internal gearing (was thinking Nexus 8 speed, but the Hugo has 7 which I think will be sufficient)
  • Sturdy steel frame (my new commute has a significant amount of trail-like asphalt that has plenty of rugged areas. Don't want to have to worry about babying this ride)
  • Enclosed chain and fenders (tired to getting wet and/or oily)
  • Non-caliper brakes for better rain performance
  • Dynamo lights (this is less of a requirement, but I just think they are so cool)
Old 01-31-20, 10:31 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Looks like a pretty average member of the updated-Raleigh genus. Seems odd to have no name brand components at that high an MSRP
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-31-20, 10:58 AM
TimmyJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Looks like a pretty average member of the updated-Raleigh genus. Seems odd to have no name brand components at that high an MSRP
This is probably a noobie question, but what kind of components would you expect to have brand recognition? The Nexus 7 hub seems like a pretty common brand in this price range. What would the other "expected" things be? Do you have recommendations for other bikes in this genus to compare to?
Old 01-31-20, 12:15 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Me, I'd prefer to know the brand and model of any part that has ball bearings in it. It's not just about being able to look up what you are getting. There's warranty implications, brand name parts have their own warranty. Also I'd like to see something about the frame tubing. The crank looks odd, maybe it's steel?

Looks like they were active 2011-16. Their Facebook page is still there but it has a lot more fashion shoots and photos of 1960s celebrities on bikes, than content about their own bicycle. Which is not unusual, pretty typical of NYC brands. That doesn't mean it's bad. Just that maybe the styling was more important to them.

Old Raleigh 3-speeds aren't rare. The Raleigh brand, though far removed from the old Nottingham company, sometimes make replicas, but I don't see any on their site right now. Linus has a roadster model. Priority is making a modern style version of the same basic idea.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 01-31-20 at 02:02 PM.