Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

C&V parts vs Full Builds

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

C&V parts vs Full Builds

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-20, 09:15 PM
BikeWonder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts
C&V parts vs Full Builds

I know I'm not the only one noticing this, but it's interesting that C&V parts are becoming more valuable than full build bikes.
Maybe not worth as much, yet, but I've noticed certain prices for C&V parts increasing a lot lately. I remember Suntour Barcons would go for $30-40 and now they're selling for $70-$80;\ on whatever website they're posted on or when you look at vintage Dura-Ace 7700 Rdparts going for almost the price of a brand new, modern RD.
Even the Accushift stuff is increasing in price when it has very limited compatibility with many other parts unless it's part of the Accushift lineup.
I know it's usually supply vs demand and all, but it's also a bit frustrating if I want to make a certain build. It's either modern aesthetic or pay the same amount for a 30-40 year old part with who knows what mileage. I expected parts to decrease in price as well as people giving up the C&V hobbies for retirement or other hobbies.

Not sure where I want to go with this, just feel like sharing my thoughts.

Any similar experiences?
Old 02-10-20, 10:07 PM
MrK.

Bikes: 2011 Handsome/ Twin Six Speedy Devil, 2006 Soma Groove, 1991 Haro Impulse Comp, 1987 KHS Montana Pro, 1986 Ross Mount Hood, 1986 Mongoose ATB, 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker I, 1973 World Voyageur, 1941 Schwinn DX "Klunker"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 45 Posts
I've seen this recently. There was a Centurion Ironman with full 600 groupset on my local Craigslist for $75. I'm a large and it was a small. I've been busy but if it wasn't an hour drive, I would have picked it up and parted it.

Last edited by MrK.; 02-10-20 at 10:09 PM. Reason: spelling fail
Old 02-10-20, 10:31 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWonder
I know I'm not the only one noticing this, but it's interesting that C&V parts are becoming more valuable than full build bikes.
Maybe not worth as much, yet, but I've noticed certain prices for C&V parts increasing a lot lately. I remember Suntour Barcons would go for $30-40 and now they're selling for $70-$80;\ on whatever website they're posted on or when you look at vintage Dura-Ace 7700 Rdparts going for almost the price of a brand new, modern RD.
Even the Accushift stuff is increasing in price when it has very limited compatibility with many other parts unless it's part of the Accushift lineup.
I know it's usually supply vs demand and all, but it's also a bit frustrating if I want to make a certain build. It's either modern aesthetic or pay the same amount for a 30-40 year old part with who knows what mileage. I expected parts to decrease in price as well as people giving up the C&V hobbies for retirement or other hobbies.

Not sure where I want to go with this, just feel like sharing my thoughts.

Any similar experiences?
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-bar-cons.html
These just sold for $35.
Over the last few years, I've sold 3 sets of barcons for $35-50.

On ebay, there are a half dozen or more that are $25-50. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw....TRS0&_sacat=0

There are probably 20 duraace 7700rds on ebay for under $59 which is way less than a current gen r8000 rd. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...arcon&_sacat=0

Vintage drivetrain components may be up a bunch, but what you mentioned doesnt seem to be bad.

as for components being worth more separate than part of a bike, that's common on shimano 600 level components or higher. Parting a bike out at the higher level can often not you more $.
Old 02-10-20, 11:46 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
I have had this experience. Couldn't give away a Columbia Sports, so then cut the 3-speed hub out of the wheel and sold that for $20. Same for a steel-rimmed Motobecane. Couldn't give it away, so sold the French freewheel and Huret shifter screws (M5x1, rareish thread) for $30 total. Could probably sell the French BB too. Still don't know what to do with the frames.

My ex girlfriend the economist told me this is called a market failure, when the unregulated market doesn't maximize utility. To my reckoning, it appears to be failing more than it's succeeding these days.
Old 02-11-20, 12:16 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
My ex girlfriend the economist told me this is called a market failure, when the unregulated market doesn't maximize utility. To my reckoning, it appears to be failing more than it's succeeding these days.
Most goods cost more if pieced together. My vehicles would cost probably 6x more if each component were purchased individually. Same with dishwashers, HVAC, etc etc.
Old 02-11-20, 12:32 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
The biggest discrepancy I am seeing right now is on vintage rigid frame MTBs. I’ve seen (and bought) complete bikes for $40+/-, where the pedals might be worth $75, thumb shifters $40, cranksets $75, wheels $100+, dérailleur sets $50. Depends on the model, brand, etc.

sure early Stumpjumpers bring good money but that second tier bike goes for less. Just sold a set of wheels alone for $150.... I’ve got ten more of the same wheels so hopefully I can clear them out in 2020.

Meanwhile, desirable vintage road bike parts need to be towards the higher end quality wise. So mid grade or lower vintage road bikes tend to not be a good source of parts. Now sometimes you will find Cyclone GT RDs and bar end shifters.

Ive sold a lot of Suntour barcons on eBay and I never gotten anywhere close to $80 except a single set I had that was new in original package.

Last edited by wrk101; 02-11-20 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-11-20, 01:16 PM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3880 Post(s)
Liked 6,467 Times in 3,199 Posts
I'm looking for a 700c wheelset for a flip, but I'm not about to spring for a set listed in the bike parts section of craigs. It's almost always a better option to search for a donor bike in the bicycles section and sell off the remainder.
Old 02-11-20, 02:06 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
As a bike lover and sometimes builder, I cringe when I think of original, functional bikes broken up just for a few more $$$, but when I find the parts I need for sale it's a happy day. 😃 Sort of like eating a cheese burger, but not wanting to think about the slaughter house. Both the bikes I've built were from stripped and left for dead, Super Course frames, a '73 and a '78.

"Free" frame found in scrap metal pile.

$20 local CL frame.

Finished build #1.

Finished build #2.
Old 02-11-20, 02:23 PM
cinco

Bikes: Forty of them

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Seems like a lot of people are more interested in money than vintage bikes.
Old 02-11-20, 02:36 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Disagree with the OP. The market for vintage road bikes is way down, complete bikes and parts.

With diligent fingering a keyboard with eBay, and some patience I find parts are far lower priced than only a few years ago. Same with bike swap meets.

Even the rare items, CLB Pro brakes to Campy Cambio Corsa and early Simplex are now circulating for lower prices. Just last month watched a full and nice condition Cambio Corsa setup including hubs sell for $360. Mint CLB Pro brakeset for $39. Today I just scored a Super Record bb for $12 shipped.

Suntour barcons? Patience pays and $25 is not uncommon. Premium tubulars? Two recent and seperate transactions ~~~ FMB n.o.s. $75 pair shipped. Dugast n.o.s. $80 pair shipped. That's for pair's!

Of course there's the crazy asking and items that are listed on Craigslist and eBay, often for YEAR's, but who cares? That's not dictating the market. Only what sells is the true telltale.

Lastly, for those who think certain and prominent vintage bike parts / eBay sellers whom specifically had long offered at absurd high prices, its now the time to re-consider them. Recently acquired excellent Campy S.Record parts at WAY under any others. I put my offer in, we went two rounds of countering and it was done. Pleased.

The buy it now is screwy too for sellers. One seller that I've purchased a fair amount from will list as auction, buy it now and or best offer with a very low and miniscule start price. So, in the past, I've put in a best offer far HIGHER than his listed opening. Seller declines. OK then, I follow the auction and have been top bidder for way BELOW my first offer to the seller. And... consider the other bidders were below me??? Lol.

Last edited by crank_addict; 02-11-20 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-11-20, 02:49 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
The other two components (pun slightly intended) of the parts vs. whole value equation are space and shipping. Buying a whole (or nearly whole) bike for a few parts may be cheaper than buying those parts, but the shipping cost can flip that equation. Also, I'm sure a lot of people have to consider whether they can store so many old bikes just as parts mules, or commit the time to removing the parts, compared to buying parts removed and (usually) cleaned up and nicely boxed.
Old 02-11-20, 02:52 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
On the two Raleighs, above, except for nearly new Brooks saddles (Ebay) tires, and wheels, one wheel set gifted by a friend, and the other, spares that I already had, I think I have less than $100 in actual hardware parts purchases for each bike.
Old 02-11-20, 02:55 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
The biggest discrepancy I am seeing right now is on vintage rigid frame MTBs. I’ve seen (and bought) complete bikes for $40+/-, where the pedals might be worth $75, thumb shifters $40, cranksets $75, wheels $100+, dérailleur sets $50. Depends on the model, brand, etc.

sure early Stumpjumpers bring good money but that second tier bike goes for less. Just sold a set of wheels alone for $150.... I’ve got ten more of the same wheels so hopefully I can clear them out in 2020.

Meanwhile, desirable vintage road bike parts need to be towards the higher end quality wise. So mid grade or lower vintage road bikes tend to not be a good source of parts. Now sometimes you will find Cyclone GT RDs and bar end shifters.

Ive sold a lot of Suntour barcons on eBay and I never gotten anywhere close to $80 except a single set I had that was new in original package.
Hey Bill, speaking of which, after your PM, I picked up that $150 Aegis listed in "are you looking" (which unfortunately may just be very pretty carbon toast), and went on CL and found a Voodoo Hoodoo nearby for $50, while I was there the owner asked me if I wanted a Trek Elante for another $25... 531 DB, how bad can it be?
Old 02-11-20, 02:56 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
In response to shipping whole bike's or wheels, currently Ship Bikes is the answer.

Though if the seller is having difficulty coordinating or making it happen with that shipper, you might have to re-consider. Its just the way it is.
Old 02-11-20, 05:21 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
^^^^^ Sign of the times. When the bike co-op / kitchen movement started 15-ish years ago (well, that's when it started HERE, anyway....), a '90s Trek 820 (for example) was 10-ish years old. Now, it's pushing 30. So as time has passed, the co-ops have had to move their "window", of what they're able/willing to work on, forward. As their staff/volunteers turn over, fewer will be familiar with the bikes we like so much. This leaves an ever-increasing number of ever-aging bikes out for scrap. What may emerge from this, if we think of the co-op world as a "secondary" market, what may emerge from this trend will be a sort of "tertiary" market, most likely not one with any organization, just made of people like us trying to keep alive the remaining stock of what we consider great old bikes, feeding off what even the co-ops and thrifts don't want. Will that self-organize into yet another movement, another layer in the market? Stay tuned.....

BTW, making one good old MTB out of two otherwise neglected/rejeected bikes is a LOT more "logical" than kicking them to the curb. Discarding them might be the "popular" next step, but by no means "logical".
Old 02-11-20, 08:38 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
It's hard to break even on refurbished bikes. Everybody is looking for something super low priced. Bikes that I do absolutely no work on are the easiest to sell.