Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Back Pain and Cycling Exersises

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-20, 04:12 PM
John Young

Bikes: carrera virtuoso

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

I just wanted to share my experience with some back pain I had a short while back and I did a thread about it on here https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...n-worried.html

Well to cut a long story short (see above thread) it was bloody painful and scary but I managed to sort it with some simple exercises so thought I would share these exercises with anyone who wants to see as it may help others.
I have my own youtube channel which is in its early days but if you want to see a video of my exercises please head to the link below. I do have some other videos on there that you are welcome to look at and also please subscribe if you want to see more

My Channel is below and the back exercises video is there to

My YouTube Channel is here
Likes For John Young:
Old 02-11-20, 04:41 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts

I too have lower back issues (degenerative discs and other stuff) and those exercises where you pull your knee up ("knee to opposite shoulder" and similar) worked wonders. I'll give those squatting exercises in your video a try.
Old 02-11-20, 04:53 PM
John Young

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn523THzp3k

I too have lower back issues (degenerative discs and other stuff) and those exercises where you pull your knee up ("knee to opposite shoulder" and similar) worked wonders. I'll give those squatting exercises in your video a try.
Yeah they were a life saver for me. I thought I had some serious problem. These exercises may not be for everyone and of course people should see a doctor if they have problems but hopefully these can help. I also did a knee exercises video on my channel to
Old 02-11-20, 10:12 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Thanks!
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 02-12-20, 02:16 AM
John Young

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
You're welcome - Hope its useful to you - I also have some other videos on my channel if you want to check them out HERE IS THE LINK
Old 02-12-20, 03:46 AM
kerla

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by John Young
I just wanted to share my experience with some back pain I had a short while back and I did a thread about it on here

Well to cut a long story short (see above thread) it was bloody painful and scary but I managed to sort it with some simple exercises so thought I would share these exercises with anyone who wants to see as it may help others.
I have my own youtube channel which is in its early days but if you want to see a video of my exercises please head to the link below. I do have some other videos on there that you are welcome to look at and also please subscribe if you want to see more

My Channel is below and the back exercises video is there to

Sometimes I am awaked on the bed and feel like my back is getting pain. I will follow this exercise.
Likes For kerla:
Old 02-12-20, 03:48 AM
John Young

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Just take it easy and if you are unsure see a doctor
Old 02-12-20, 05:52 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Many times, cycling back pain is due to tight hamstrings. They make the lower back lose it's inward curve and bulge disks toward the rear of the spine causing impingement.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 02-12-20, 07:05 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Although I have not specific back pain to speak of... I do have a regular stretching regiment that I do. Not only for my back but for everything. Personally I have found it to be quite helpful.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 02-12-20, 10:48 AM
John Young

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Yeah there are a lot of things you can have wrong and this thing I had was not strictly back but more bum muscles area Glutes I think they are called
Old 02-12-20, 11:44 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
If there is a bit of a problem with any muscle group causing pain or even mild discomfort, the tendency is for those muscles to spasm and tighten up causing further disconfort or pain. This is evident if you go for a massage. If any muscle is in partial spasm, even when not noticeable consciously, the therapists hands will find the knot. Consequently it pays to adopt regular stretching, rolling and regular massage after every hard workout. That is what pro athletes do who can't be off their training schedule.
Likes For berner:
Old 02-13-20, 04:11 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've used most of those stretches and exercises, and more, for years. Does help a bit. I spend about an hour almost every day just on home physical therapy, after having been hit by cars twice. And any outdoor bike ride workout usually becomes an all-day chore, or several hours. I need an hour before a ride to warm up properly, usually ride for 20-40 miles on my usual workout routes, and then another hour or longer on post-workout cool down, stretching, calisthenics and massage.

And my best friend for massaging my legs after a workout is a heavy marble rolling pin. I got it as a gift because I enjoy baking, but until a couple of years ago it was mostly a kitchen decoration. Friends suggested foam rollers, but I found those pretty useless for massaging my legs, especially the quads and calves. One day I noticed my rolling pin and tried it. Incredible. Practically eliminates the soreness and dead legs I used to feel after every ride or PT workout. I have foam rollers and try to use them on my back but they're really awkward. A dual-headed percussion massager with long handle works better for me.

As I get older (I'm 62 now, about 15 months away from the last time I was hit by a car) the whole routine takes more time and effort. But it beats the alternative. On good days I'm faster and stronger on the bike than I was at age 57 when I was just getting back on the bike after spending 14 years hobbling around on a cane from the first time I was hit by a car. I won't get much faster or stronger from here on out, but so far I'm retaining what I got back with hard work by age 59.

I was a caregiver for my grandparents and mom, and over the years watched them suffering the effects of injuries and illness, arthritis, etc., but they rarely did any exercise at all, even walking. For my granddad and mom, their final decade was just an inexorable deterioration, basically petrifying from inactivity until it was too late to recover. They ended up with bad joints, atrophied muscles, finally dying from congestive heart failure and COPD -- basically what some doctors still think of as "old age," despite the evidence that activity can fend off this sort of decline in quality of life and lifespan.

Only my grandmother remained fairly active and incredibly flexible until she died just shy of 90. And that was due to complications from surgery to biopsy what turned out to be a benign tumor in her colon. In retrospect she'd have been better off declining the biopsy and taking her chances with the tumor. But even a few months before her death she was still walking around the house and outdoors, and could sit cross-legged on the floor and get up again fairly easily without help. She was naturally flexible as a yogi, even decades after she stopped practicing yoga.
Old 02-13-20, 06:38 AM
John Young

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Well to be honest at 62 and still active cycling etc is brilliant compared to a lot of people. Some in their teens can hardly move these days so taking a little longer to warm up is nothing at all. You should patent that rolling pin as idea make you rich

I have just tuned 50 and been cycling all my life but do notice I have to take a little more care these days as I found out with my pulled (Bum) muscles. I also have a video on my channel doing some basic knee exercises which seem to help to when you get that little niggle sometimes in your knee. With me it was mostly off my bike walking up and down stairs. Check my channel out as I also have videos on me just out having fun on the bike My Channel

Speaking of inspiration my Dad is 82 and goes out dancing and walks 4 miles a day