Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Long Sleeves for Tan Lines?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Long Sleeves for Tan Lines?

Old 02-13-20, 01:28 PM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Bikes: N+3 dependents

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by amt0571
when it's summer i have tan lines strong enough that you could think i'm wearing clothes on a nudist beach. I've had kids laugh at me at the pool, people stare at me, and someone even thought i had some disease because of the different colour of my hands caused by cycling gloves.

I just don't care. If you don't like it, look somewhere else.
ftw.
Old 02-13-20, 02:37 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Back in college I had one of the world's leading economic geologists as the professor for a few lecture classes and for a 6-week long field class I took in the eastern Oregon high desert. This guy does field work in the harshest places on the planet (Australia, Africa, Middle East, etc) and has spent years in Namibia looking for copper ore. He's a super gruff bearded man that could almost pass as homeless in his hygiene and fashion. He has crows feet that can hold spare change from decades of squinting against the albedo of sand. During this field class, we were running around at 5000' ASL on top of bare rock in 97F temps at 10% humidity, and his choice of attire was hiking boots (Asolo Fugitive GTX, boot of choice at OSU), Wrangler jeans, a long sleeve button-up shirt, pocketed vest, bandanna tied around his neck, and a wide-brim hat.

One day a student (wearing shorts and a t-shirt) ribbed him for wearing a "Canadian tuxedo" in the desert. In his scratchy baritone voice, the (Stanford PhD) professor barked "Do you see any trees around here? I'm wearing my shade." I also heard him chop at a different classmate when they asked if he had extra sunscreen; his response: "*laughing* No. Next time we drive through a town, get yourself some pants and a long sleeve shirt. There are a lot of wrinkled geologists that trusted sunscreen."

That being said, I sunscreen up with SPF 15 on the bike. I like a bit of color, but hate burning. Plus, the spray sunscreen I use makes me look greased and shiny like a body builder.
Old 02-13-20, 03:06 PM
Tony P.

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
Overexposure is certainly bad. The question is: what constitutes overexposure? Putting on sunscreen when you're going to be outside for 20 minutes seems pretty extreme, particularly if you aren't very fair skinned.

A comparison of sunscreen to a helmet isn't very apt. A helmet has no real downside from a health perspective, while getting insufficient sunlight seems to pose a real risk to one's physical and mental health. I'll trade a slightly increased risk of skin cancer, the vast majority of which is not particularly dangerous, for:
Lower risk of hypertension
Lower risk of diabetes
Lower risk of depression
Lower risk of prostate, breast, colorectal, and pancreatic cancers
Lower risk of blood clots
Reduced inflammation
and a reduced overall mortality rate.
I agree with you. Yes, vitamin D deficiency is a significant health issue; perhaps the most common nutritional deficiency worldwide. So, getting sunlight is important but, once adequate sunlight is obtained, getting more produces no meaningful incremental benefit. So, then the question isn't what constitutes overexposure. The issue is how much sunlight is needed. For most people that's only 10-15 minutes a day on a small portion of skin like one arm.

All that considered, applying sunscreen should be considered for any activity that's substantial in length.
Old 02-13-20, 04:06 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony P.
I agree with you. Yes, vitamin D deficiency is a significant health issue; perhaps the most common nutritional deficiency worldwide.
Is it? If that is the case, then it is certainly odd that vitamin D supplementation doesn't appear to work. Perhaps vitamin D's relationship to health is more on of correlation than causation?
So, getting sunlight is important but, once adequate sunlight is obtained, getting more produces no meaningful incremental benefit. So, then the question isn't what constitutes overexposure. The issue is how much sunlight is needed. For most people that's only 10-15 minutes a day on a small portion of skin like one arm.
One arm for 10-15 minutes seems very low. Particularly for people with darker skin. Do you have anything to back this up?
All that considered, applying sunscreen should be considered for any activity that's substantial in length.
Yes, but "substantial length" means a lot longer than 10-15 minutes IMO. It also varies tremendously based on the amount of melanin in your skin.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 02-13-20, 04:15 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by Succhia Ruota
Ok, how?
It was rhetorical but since you asked, all the skin I have that has been exposed looks a lot older than the skin which has been covered. Face is getting splotchy, Arms and legs are getting the crepe look and the skin is dry and easily damaged/scratched. Obviously some of this is due to me being old but I think covering up more and using sunscreen more would have helped.
Old 02-13-20, 04:18 PM
big john

One arm for 10-15 minutes seems very low. Particularly for people with darker skin. Do you have anything to back this up.
When I've had blood work they have told me my Vitamin D is low. When I ask how, given how many hours I spend in the sun, they say people who get a lot of sun sometimes tend to be low on D. I don't know the process but I have heard this more than once.
Old 02-13-20, 06:08 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
When I've had blood work they have told me my Vitamin D is low. When I ask how, given how many hours I spend in the sun, they say people who get a lot of sun sometimes tend to be low on D. I don't know the process but I have heard this more than once.
Do you have low cholesterol?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-13-20, 06:59 PM
OBoile

Odd. The general consensus is that sunlight = more vitamin D. Who exactly are "they" who are telling you this?
Old 02-13-20, 07:02 PM
Tony P.

Is it? If that is the case, then it is certainly odd that vitamin D supplementation doesn't appear to work. Perhaps vitamin D's relationship to health is more on of correlation than causation?

One arm for 10-15 minutes seems very low. Particularly for people with darker skin. Do you have anything to back this up?

Yes, but "substantial length" means a lot longer than 10-15 minutes IMO. It also varies tremendously based on the amount of melanin in your skin.
My statement had to do with statistics on common nutritional deficiencies compared RDAs.

My one arm 10-15 minutes was an example. It's correct that skin tone, time of day, and cloudiness all impact the result. But here's a quote from the National Institutes of Health information on vitamin D:

The factors that affect UV radiation exposure and research to date on the amount of sun exposure needed to maintain adequate vitamin D levels make it difficult to provide general guidelines. It has been suggested by some vitamin D researchers, for example, that approximately 5–30 minutes of sun exposure between 10 AM and 3 PM at least twice a week to the face, arms, legs, or back without sunscreen usually lead to sufficient vitamin D synthesis
Old 02-13-20, 07:19 PM
Tony P.

Big John, think about a guy who puts money in his pocket with a hole. No matter how much money he puts in, he never has any. Not everyone synthesizes sunlight into vitamin D at the same rate. In addition, there may be reasons why some people don't retain all of the vitamin D they create. Speak with your doctor.

Last edited by Tony P.; 02-13-20 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-13-20, 08:42 PM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Where have you been riding? I don't think I've gone without arm warmers yet this year(unless it's mid-afternoon).
I normally go out between 1 and 3 in the afternoon so the weather is perfect. Been doing a 23 mile out and back up Cave Creek and the Sonoran Dr.

Likes For Metallifan33:
Old 02-13-20, 08:45 PM
big john

Odd. The general consensus is that sunlight = more vitamin D. Who exactly are "they" who are telling you this?
Doctors.
Old 02-13-20, 08:46 PM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts
You may not burn, you may not get skin cancer, but if you spend hundreds of hours in the sun for many years your skin will show it. Ask me how I know.
yeah. I don’t burn, but I have noticed that the exposed parts of my skin get really itchy and bothered as well. At first I didn’t relate the two, but now I notice that it only happens on the exposed (tanned) parts and is worse then I’m riding. I have seen people who spend a lot of time working in the sun and have really leathery skin. I guess I’d like to minimize that kind of damage as well.
Old 02-13-20, 08:48 PM
big john

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Do you have low cholesterol?
Everything else normal, or within normal range. I saw different doctors over a period of months to try and get an issue resolved. Multiple blood tests came up the same, only low D.
Old 02-13-20, 08:52 PM
big john

. Speak with your doctor.
That's who told me I had low D. Spoke to 2 other docs, as well. I have read a study about people who don't absorb or create D.
Old 02-13-20, 08:54 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33
I normally go out between 1 and 3 in the afternoon so the weather is perfect
I normally start at 8 or 9am, so it's still in the 40s at the start.
Old 02-13-20, 09:00 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Metallifan33
yeah. I don’t burn, but I have noticed that the exposed parts of my skin get really itchy and bothered as well. At first I didn’t relate the two, but now I notice that it only happens on the exposed (tanned) parts and is worse then I’m riding. I have seen people who spend a lot of time working in the sun and have really leathery skin. I guess I’d like to minimize that kind of damage as well.
Nothing wrong with a little extra caution.
Old 02-13-20, 09:19 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I enjoy and embrace my summertime tan lines. Since I wear gloves to ride, and tan a color that resembles that of a tabby cat, I get white cat paws. It fits with the whole cat theme I've got going on...
Old 02-13-20, 09:37 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
I know long touring riders will wear long sleeve dress shirts to deal with the desert sun.

I use a Halo https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
when cycling in the Eastern Sierra to help with the high altitude sun. Definitely helps with the back of the neck. Wet it down and you will stay cool.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 02-13-20, 10:27 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Everything else normal, or within normal range. I saw different doctors over a period of months to try and get an issue resolved. Multiple blood tests came up the same, only low D.
That's interesting, I'll have to read more about this. Thanks.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 02-13-20 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-13-20, 10:40 PM
big john

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
That's interesting, I'll have to read more about this. Thanks.
Here's one https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article/92/6/2130/2597445
Likes For big john:
Old 02-14-20, 05:11 AM
Tony P.

a
That's who told me I had low D. Spoke to 2 other docs, as well. I have read a study about people who don't absorb or create D.
Big John, I'm sorry I wasn't more specific in my post. What I meant was to speak to the doctor about next steps. It's OK to discuss the issue here and read about it but when you're speaking to doctors, I suggest action.

If you tell him you're concerned, the doctor may suggest retaking the test because it could be wrong or taking it again in a month or two. If you've had the test before, the doctor should be able to compare the result to previous tests. He may even say the result was low but close enough to normal to not be of concern. Beyond that, the doctor may discuss the level of calcium from your blood test.

Your doctor may suggest taking a supplement or you can decide to take it. I take a daily multi-vitamin containing 1,000 IUs of vitamin D
Old 02-14-20, 08:54 AM
OBoile

My statement had to do with statistics on common nutritional deficiencies compared RDAs.

My one arm 10-15 minutes was an example. It's correct that skin tone, time of day, and cloudiness all impact the result. But here's a quote from the National Institutes of Health information on vitamin D:
You should really go back and read the article I posted above. Sunlight affects far more than just vitamin D.
Old 02-14-20, 09:52 AM
big john

a
Big John, I'm sorry I wasn't more specific in my post. What I meant was to speak to the doctor about next steps. It's OK to discuss the issue here and read about it but when you're speaking to doctors, I suggest action.

If you tell him you're concerned, the doctor may suggest retaking the test because it could be wrong or taking it again in a month or two. If you've had the test before, the doctor should be able to compare the result to previous tests. He may even say the result was low but close enough to normal to not be of concern. Beyond that, the doctor may discuss the level of calcium from your blood test.

Your doctor may suggest taking a supplement or you can decide to take it. I take a daily multi-vitamin containing 1,000 IUs of vitamin D
Yeah I took a D supplement for a while but got bored with it. Not very good at taking anything, never have been. Never been too happy with doctors, either, haven't had a lot of good results with them.
Old 02-14-20, 10:16 AM
Tony P.

Yeah I took a D supplement for a while but got bored with it. Not very good at taking anything, never have been. Never been too happy with doctors, either, haven't had a lot of good results with them.
Big John, I know what you mean. I just went over your other posts so I now understand that low vitamin D may be your only issue. If that's the case and you're otherwise healthy, low vitamin D may not be cause for concern. You're certainly right about doctors; there's good and bad - like everyone else.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.