Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Does ANYONE ride Marin??

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Does ANYONE ride Marin??

Old 05-14-03, 07:13 AM
browndog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does ANYONE ride Marin??

Hey,

REI has a 20% discount sale coming up. It only counts for Novara, K2 and Marin bikes. The Marin bikes are the only one with disc brakes. I can't seem to find much info on the bikes in terms of reviews on the web (even MtbReview).

Every LBS I've been to thinks the bikes they sell are better than any other. If they sell Giant they say if you buy Specialized you're "paying for the name", etc.

What is the deal with Marin? I like the look and feel of the Hawk Hill, but it looks like it has a weak front fork. If Marin is such a great bike company, why don't more people have them?
Old 05-14-03, 09:10 AM
Jim311

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can't trust salesmen in a bike shop, because obviously they're going to tell you that everybody elses stuff sucks. Marin is a pretty respected brand. I've never ridden one, but I've met a few people who liked them.
Old 05-14-03, 10:23 AM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Small production company. They don't mass produce the bikes in the same quantities so they have to pick and choose areas to sell them in I would guess.

They also tend to have xc bikes. Ever their dh bikes I wouldn't trust to do anything remotely extreme with. Their bike have a very focussed market of smaller less extreme riders.
Old 05-14-03, 10:40 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
They are popular in the UK, and their dual sus xc bikes are highly rated.
High end stuff is made in the US and Italy, the lower-end frames are well made in Taiwan, just like most other makes.
Old 05-14-03, 11:21 AM
Brennan

Bikes: Surly X√, Trek Earl

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I ride a '99 Marin Point Reyes hybrid and a '03 Marin Pine Mountain steel hardtail mtb. I have thousands of miles on the hybrid with no problems. The hardtail is new to me. I have only been on 4 rides, but it's been great so far. I like the frame geometry, specs, etc. My guess is they are no better or worse than comparably priced models from different brands, it comes down to what specs you want and how the bike feels.
Old 05-14-03, 11:42 AM
browndog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the scoop!

They have a steel hardtail that looks pretty sweet, but cost too much.
Old 05-14-03, 09:18 PM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Ummm, yes I do ride Marin actually, but spare me the disc brakes, please.

That is all.
Old 05-14-03, 09:47 PM
Dr. Christopher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Marin Urban Muirwood...and semi-road bike. Very sensitive to inputs and good feedback although the build is more "delicate" in a way....not so robust as some of the other makes of the same class. But, boy is it pretty....dark charcoal/black in satin finish...reminiscent of Porsche design look from ten yards away, sans fancy discs. I'm a happy camper!

Dr. Christopher
Old 03-23-05, 07:01 AM
Basenga

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods and a cheap steel road bike that I picked up for 20$ on craigslist and which is still in pieces

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dr. Christopher, could you expand on your appreciation of the Muirwood? I'm looking at it right now (hopefully I can try one today) and I liked the specs and the geometry. I'm looking for a bike to do mostly city driving (but more aggressively than following traffic in a bike lane) and some longer (20-30) miles day trips on non-paved roads. I'm not in too hilly a region (Montreal, Ca), although I do get out of town once in a while.

Charles
Old 03-23-05, 07:12 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I had a Marin Argenta road bike and still have a Marin Mill Valley which is in their APL line of flat bar roadies. Both are VERY nice bikes and I would not hesitate to buy a Marin MTB, but I am not the type to do drops or extreem downhill stuff, just cross country riding.
Old 03-23-05, 10:11 AM
Speedub.Nate
fanatik

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started on a Marin Palisades Trail back in '85 or '86. My wife has been riding a sweet Marin Mount Vision for the past two years. The Mount Vision is a Taiwanese built frame, but the weld quality is excellent (it better be, there are 13 feet of welds joining the monocoque frame halves). Hers is the super-beefy single pivot design, but the Jon Whyte Quad suspension is a well thought-out linkage design that has excellent characteristics.

I realize you're "only" looking at the Hawk Hill hardtail, but based on my experience with the company and their attention to detail and frame quality, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to plunk down the cash.

Old 03-23-05, 12:12 PM
PaulBravey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had a Marin Bobcat Trail for the last 5 years though I've only been riding it seriously for the last 6 months. It's taken a load of abuse, including a 5500 mile boat trip cling-filmed to the top of a pallet of cardboard boxes! The newer bikes seem to be significantly lighter than my old tank so I almost used my REI rebate on a Pallisades Trail but managed to resist the temptation . For some unknown reason they're far more popular in the UK than over here in the US.
Old 03-23-05, 01:28 PM
Scottluebke2004

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My buddy has been riding a 1999 Marin Nail Trail since he bought it and the bike is really nice. Marin is kinda like Rocky Mountain and lesser known companies. They might not make many bikes, but the quality is good. I would have no problem buying a Marin, as long as the price is right.
Old 03-23-05, 01:41 PM
Peek the Geek
is slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up an 04 Marin Pine Mountain at the end of last season. I haven't put many miles on it, but I really like it so far. The ride is like butter sicne it's a quality steel. Plus it looks good since they use shaped tubes rather than round. I'm glad I got it when I did, too, since the 05 model jumped up a few hundred dollars in price.

Old 03-23-05, 02:51 PM
jdschall
Newbike Hustler

Bikes: SoulCycles Titan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 1991 Marin Bear Valley that is still kicking as a single speed commuter. Not a bad bike, even after all these years.
Old 03-23-05, 04:57 PM
.:MTB:.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a lower end 2004, the Bolinas Ridge. It's my first "real" mountainbike, so take this for what it's worth, but I really like it. Plus the frame is a cool bare Al finish.
Old 03-23-05, 05:07 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Basenga
Hey sparky this thread died IN 2003!!!! Somehow I don't think the original poster cares anymore
Old 03-23-05, 05:53 PM
Speedub.Nate
fanatik

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn
...this thread died in 2003...
Lol! Sho'nouff!

But it's all good...
Old 03-24-05, 03:55 PM
Basenga

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods and a cheap steel road bike that I picked up for 20$ on craigslist and which is still in pieces

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oups... Honest mistake. In the meantime I did buy a 2005 Marin muirwoods. Nice city bike, I'll start riding for real tonight. If anyone else cares.
Old 05-26-05, 03:27 PM
wheezl
Commuting Horrorshow

Bikes: Giant OCR3, Decathlon ****box.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Basenga
Oups... Honest mistake. In the meantime I did buy a 2005 Marin muirwoods. Nice city bike, I'll start riding for real tonight. If anyone else cares.

Since this thread is so dead let me know when you break the pedals and spokes start going. I loves me some Marin but so far my muirwoods has been a little on the fragile side. spiffy frame and very nimble however.
Old 06-24-05, 08:23 PM
Basenga

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wheezl
Since this thread is so dead let me know when you break the pedals and spokes start going. I loves me some Marin but so far my muirwoods has been a little on the fragile side. spiffy frame and very nimble however.
I've been quite pleased with mine as well. I commute 8.5 km twice a day every day rain or shine and I'll go on longer (60km and hopefully rising) rides solo every week or so. All road with the occasional patch of grass and so on. I bought the muirwoods as a commuter bike and for touring trips. You might ride yours harder than I do.

Nothing has broken yet, wheels are holding up just fine, don't seem to be going out of true at all. I just changed the brake pads and after adjustments everything runs nice and square. Won't break the stock pedals, I've gone clipless and put the stock pedals in a box somewhere.

So far the only problem I could complain about is this sqeak somewhere, the source of which I can't find. I was going to take the BB out and the pedals as well at some point, give everything a clean and put everything back in properly with grease and all. The pedals could use it for sure (I was just too excited and I've been too lazy since), the BB should be fine, but the LBS put it in. They seemed fairly consciencious about their work, but then again, I bought it when they were in it over their head. You never know...

Have you really been breaking stuff left and right on your muirwoods? What do you ride? There's at least one other member that bought a muirwoods and he seemed quite pleased the last I hear from him.
Old 10-01-18, 10:47 AM
Farmerrandy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Extremely unhappy with Marin

Do not support performance bicycles . Do not buy any Marin products they are a horrible company that has no warranty what so ever. After 9 months of owning my hawk hill the bike shop says I need to replace all bearings because it’s faulty and if I continue riding it will destroy the frame. Performance will not stand behind the warranty they want me to pay out of pocket to replace sealed bearings after 9 months of owning this brand new bike! Extremely dissatisfied with your service and brand. Will never recommend your company to anyone again.
Old 10-01-18, 12:29 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
Lol!! Really? You dug up a thread from 13 years ago to complain about a cheap mountain bike you bought?

In the world of full suspension mountain bikes you bought a cheap one. There is a reason your bearings wore out so soon.
Old 12-29-18, 08:20 PM
tamnalan

Bikes: BF Pakit, Early 90s Merlin road bike, Marin Hawk Hill 2,some old Cannondales & Fuji road bikes

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Performance Bike's retail stores are apparently going out of business and they're liquidating stuff at great prices. I bought a Hawk Hill 2 from the local store for $1350 and I'm very happy with it. Farmerrandy and I probably won't get much support from Performance Bike but I'm comfortable that Marin will back their product.
Old 01-03-19, 11:06 AM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Zombies

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.