Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Beer and wine

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-09, 08:31 AM
bfloyd6969

Bikes: Schwinn Madison, Windsor Dover

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beer and wine

I know I know, alcohol and riding don't mix to well - however, it is my crutch. I like to drink beer and wine as it just hits the spot after a long day at work. When I say drink, I don't mean in too much excess. I like to have one or two a day, pretty much every day. On my ride days, I may have one (a beer) a couple hours after the ride with food. So, just how bad is it to have one or two every day?
Old 08-09-09, 08:46 AM
tadawdy
Faster than yesterday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on who you are. For men, 1-2 drinks most days of the week is considered the "safe" limit. At this point, you're getting health benefits from alcohol w/o significantly increasing your risk of other problems caused by it. Any more, and your risk of cancers and accidental death go up. For women, it's no more than one drink. Of course, this assumes a lot about body size and metabolism, but these are the population averages.
Old 08-09-09, 09:39 AM
JasonC

Bikes: Trek Pilot 1.0, Giant Sedona (old, winter/rain bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thinking about the 1-2 drinks comment, I've been told (by my doctor, and read online) that any more than 1 oz of alcohol per night is not good. So... 8oz of wine (assuming 12% ABV), 2.5 oz of scotch (80 proof), 1-2 beers (two if they are Miller, one if it is stronger), etc.

Although, one side-effect you may still get is from acetaldehyde, which is one of the by-products of alcohol being processed by the liver. It is what causes hangovers. You likely won't get a hangover from one drink, but acetaldehyde is a possible carcinogen... it promotes cancer. However, as this letter responding to the article where I read this points out, it is hard to escape acetaldehyde even if you abstain from alcohol...

I like good beer... so I don't mind one a night. However, even outside of biking I really don't feel comfortable drinking 7 nights a week, just from an overall health perspective. So I try to cut back around bigger training days, or days where I had already decided to have another snack, like a bowl of ice cream.

- Jason
Old 08-09-09, 10:38 AM
SemperFi87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonC
Thinking about the 1-2 drinks comment, I've been told (by my doctor, and read online) that any more than 1 oz of alcohol per night is not good. So... 8oz of wine (assuming 12% ABV), 2.5 oz of scotch (80 proof), 1-2 beers (two if they are Miller, one if it is stronger), etc.

Although, one side-effect you may still get is from acetaldehyde, which is one of the by-products of alcohol being processed by the liver. It is what causes hangovers. You likely won't get a hangover from one drink, but acetaldehyde is a possible carcinogen... it promotes cancer. However, as this letter responding to the article where I read this points out, it is hard to escape acetaldehyde even if you abstain from alcohol...

I like good beer... so I don't mind one a night. However, even outside of biking I really don't feel comfortable drinking 7 nights a week, just from an overall health perspective. So I try to cut back around bigger training days, or days where I had already decided to have another snack, like a bowl of ice cream.

- Jason
I think this is a great way to look at it. There is nothing wrong with having a drink or two most nights a week. Sure you get a bunch of empty calories from it, but in moderation, it's worth it for a lot of people, myself included. I try not to drink every night, I usually end up drinking one drink or occasionally two drinks about 4 nights a week. The part I was originally agreeing with was the part about treating it similarly to any other dietary treat or cheat snack. You normally wouldn't pile up on ice cream and then go out and get pizza if you are following any specific diet or training regiment. Alcohol should be treated the same way.
Old 08-09-09, 02:47 PM
Willbrewer
Magnum Propulsion

Bikes: Trek 6700 MTB, Ironhorse Cyclone Road, Gary Fisher Tasajara MTB - bent and retired

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't consider the calories in beer to be totally empty. There's actually some good stuff in there (besides the alcohol ) You've got some antioxidants and B vitamins, which would both be helpful in after ride recovery. And the hops in beer have a few medicinal properties too. Plus, after a long ride you HAVE to rehydrate. But there might be some problem with that one, because beer tends to be a diuretic. I think the Dr. that wrote the following article might like to drink a beer or three every now and then.

https://www.aim-digest.com/gateway/pa...s/goodnews.htm

He closes by saying:

In conclusion Beer is a well-balanced, low-alcohol beverage with significant levels of vitamins (in particular folates), minerals and silicon. Regular, moderate beer drinking may be a part of a healthy lifestyle together with wholesome food, exercise, keeping your weight down and not smoking.
Old 08-09-09, 04:18 PM
mercianv

Bikes: yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
drink after the ride not before
Old 08-09-09, 07:11 PM
bfloyd6969

Bikes: Schwinn Madison, Windsor Dover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies all. I am a male so I believe I may be in moderation per some Dr.'s. Plus, I never drink before a ride.
Old 08-10-09, 08:54 AM
SemperFi87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mercianv
drink after the ride not before
This. I have had a friend or two go to the hospital because they exercised heavily after a few beers.
Old 08-10-09, 11:48 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A glass of wine or a beer at night, really should not have a major adverse effect. It certainly is not as good as eating carrot and celery sticks. But it is probably no worse than eating a hot fudge sundae.

Also if you do it on ride days, the significant benefits of your riding if you do any significant miles probably more than cancel out the adverse effects of the alcohol.
Old 08-11-09, 08:06 AM
dahoyle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm speaking as someone who really enjoys a good dark ale, or a good Hefeweizen. If my Doc tells me that one a day is bad for me, I'm just going to get a new Doc.
Old 08-11-09, 08:09 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by bfloyd6969
I know I know, alcohol and riding don't mix to well - however, it is my crutch. I like to drink beer and wine as it just hits the spot after a long day at work. When I say drink, I don't mean in too much excess. I like to have one or two a day, pretty much every day. On my ride days, I may have one (a beer) a couple hours after the ride with food. So, just how bad is it to have one or two every day?
After a metric century , the club does each Sunday; we deserve one, maybe even two beers. Guilt. Never given it a second thought.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 08-11-09, 06:39 PM
Greg_R

Bikes: Surly LHT set up for commuting

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I buy 750ml bottles of beer (can be resealed by vacuum plugs) or growlers (flip top bottle, filled at local breweries) and pour 8oz servings, one serving per session. This gives me my 'fix' for a good beer but keeps the calories low. I'm talking about a mid-week beer here... not a reward after a century.
Old 08-11-09, 08:15 PM
Willbrewer
Magnum Propulsion

Bikes: Trek 6700 MTB, Ironhorse Cyclone Road, Gary Fisher Tasajara MTB - bent and retired

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg_R
I'm talking about a mid-week beer here... not a reward after a century.
So what's your reward after a century? You've got a lot of good breweries to choose from in Portland.
Old 01-25-20, 02:49 AM
decanter2020
Sara Jan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drink after riding
Old 01-25-20, 03:03 AM
decanter2020
Sara Jan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think drinking is a good habit and it also keeps the mind and body active. Must not drink alcohol while driving. It can also endanger your life. Must be drunk after riding.
Old 01-25-20, 01:15 PM
Climb14er
Jazz Aficionado

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
Beer has always been my recovery drink... in addition to a few years ago... 16oz of Endurox. In the summer, very hot days, I mix a beer with organic lemonade from Costco. Alcohol for me has always been done in moderation and I find it helps my body to relax and recover, after a very long day in the saddle or on the peaks. YMMV.
Old 01-25-20, 07:44 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg_R
I buy 750ml bottles of beer (can be resealed by vacuum plugs) or growlers (flip top bottle, filled at local breweries) and pour 8oz servings, one serving per session. This gives me my 'fix' for a good beer but keeps the calories low. I'm talking about a mid-week beer here... not a reward after a century.
this seems contrary to what i would think. bottle pressure for beer is about 30 psi and using a vacuum plug to remove the air like i do for my wife's wine seems like it would pull out the in solution CO2. that is a lot of head space to bring up to 30 psi again. when you open this bottle a second time how is the brew?

-scott
Old 01-26-20, 09:58 AM
CyclingBK

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
For me, one or 2 glasses of wine is great, even daily. But 3 or more, negative impact on my sleep and general energy the next day.
Old 01-26-20, 11:02 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
I was thinking the same thing as spelger regarding the vacuum top. Rookie beer error committed by a wine sipper. (just busting chops, just ribbing the dude)

Seriously, though, be kind to quality beers. Life’s too short to drink bad beer.

Last edited by AdkMtnMonster; 02-01-20 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-26-20, 01:47 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Just rode 70 miles this morning. One bottle with water and ice, second bottle Busch NA Beer. Also like O'Doul's and Heineken 0.0 during and after. If I want some alcohol it is in the Organic Red California wines or JW Blue Label
Old 01-26-20, 01:58 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Just rode 70 miles this morning. One bottle with water and ice, second bottle Busch NA Beer. Also like O'Doul's and Heineken 0.0 during and after. If I want some alcohol it is in the Organic Red California wines or JW Blue Label
Treat yourself to some quality whisky some time. For the $185+ price of Johnnie Walker’s blended stuff you could buy a truly special bottle of single malt whisky that would blow your mind. Blended whisky is like a Huffy hybrid with nice pedals and tires riding around the neighborhood. A $200 bottle of single malt is a full carbon ride with top-end gear and an open road ahead. Never go cheap on women, whisky or toilet paper.
Old 01-26-20, 07:33 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
I have a strange relationship with alcohol. I enjoy beer, wine and spirits, especially bourbon. And, after a ride a nice lager is awesome. However, I could buy a 6-pack and a bottle of red wine tomorrow and if you came to my house 6 months later they'd still be there intact. I don't know why. A 750 of bourbon? Not so much. I just love sitting outside on a summer day with a bourbon and a cigar and kickin' back. Having said all of that, I am currently abstaining from alcohol in hopes of losing some weight for the cycling season.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 01-26-20, 09:04 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Treat yourself to some quality whisky some time. For the $185+ price of Johnnie Walker’s blended stuff you could buy a truly special bottle of single malt whisky that would blow your mind. Blended whisky is like a Huffy hybrid with nice pedals and tires riding around the neighborhood. A $200 bottle of single malt is a full carbon ride with top-end gear and an open road ahead. Never go cheap on women, whisky or toilet paper.
Blue is a gift from son so no $$$. Had some Macallan Fine Oak 15 Yr. Triple and it was OK but Blue tickles my tongue a bit better. Any suggestions???
Old 01-27-20, 09:50 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Blue is a gift from son so no $$$. Had some Macallan Fine Oak 15 Yr. Triple and it was OK but Blue tickles my tongue a bit better. Any suggestions???=13.33px
I love single malts from Islay, so Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, and Caol Ila are at the top of my list. Ledaig 10 year old (from Tobermory distillery on Mull) is probably my favorite sub-hundred dollar bottle of whisky, depending in the day.

Last edited by AdkMtnMonster; 01-28-20 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Islay is where really great whisky is made.
Old 01-27-20, 02:06 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I don't see harm in it, but do see a good mental balance in making is so I don't make it a daily habit.

It's nice to be able to say "nah, not today, not tomorrow, or maybe even the next day". Then also be able to say "weeknight worlds post ride beer tonight, dinner out with wife tomorrow, then a work party the next day".

To me, I don't like the "every day, without end, just in smaller or larger amounts".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.