Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why do you want an expensive, light-as-air, high-tech bicycle?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why do you want an expensive, light-as-air, high-tech bicycle?

Old 04-13-05, 01:24 PM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by d^2
this question has many levels:
1) are people who buy expensive bikes suckers who were fooled by the marketing of expensive bikes? Perhaps, but most likely not. Riders who love high-end bikes are usually pretty well-informed about materials and geometries and I think most will seek out a variety of opinions before they make a decision.

2) do you buy expensive bikes because you think they will make you a better cyclist? A lighter bike with light weight wheels will allow you to ride faster up a hill. A lighter bike and wheels usually comes at a higher price. However, for many people, the biggest benefit to buying an expensive bike is that they will train longer and harder to "live up" to the bike, so I think in most cases the answer is "yes".

3) is an expensive bike actually any better than a 1000 dollar bike, or is it all *perceived* because we know how much the bike costs? I thought 1000 dollars was expensive? But seriously, expensive bikes are usually better - it's not always just perception based on price. However, the marginal improvements decrease as one begins to look at more and more expensive bikes. In other words, the difference between a $600 bike and a $1,000 bike are often a lot more than the difference between a $1,000 bike and a $2,000 bike.

4) are bikes art or jewelry, where you pay more for looks? Yes.

5) is functionality the only thing to consider when buying a bike? No. If you're spending a lot of money for a bike, you want to have a bike you can fall in love with. Functionality is only part of the equation.
Good questions.
Old 04-13-05, 01:54 PM
acrafton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well - thanks for this great thread and discussion. I was waffling on pulling the trigger on my new rig. Telling myself I don't deserve it, a cheaper one is fine, etc. But, the enjoyment described here is what is about and part of that comes from the rig. I am headed out now to get the new (and expensive bike). . .thanks!!

Adam
Old 04-13-05, 11:05 PM
CAAD5AL

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I certainly don't ride an ultra-exotic bike or anything, but I get it. Here's my basic take.

I started riding "seriously" 25 years ago, racing as a junior. Since that time, I've ranged from good and very into it to totally slacking and downright lousy on the bike. One thing that's always been constant, though, and often brought me back is my love for the machine. I just absolutely love bicycles - building them, working on them, looking at them, so the "wow" factor goes a long way with me, and definitely has motivated me to ride when nothing else would. May be heresy to some, but for me, it often has very much been about the bike. As I've always said, for a lot of us, building a bike can be a hobby unto itself that sort of feeds the greater hobby of riding them.
Old 04-14-05, 01:41 AM
Moochers_Dad
a blend of wit and charm

Bikes: Serotta Fierte and a 1989 Centurian Prestige (plus, various others)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is a great question. And the answer is... "I don't know."

I don't know why I dream of having expensive bikes. Or like upgrading above and beyond what I need or can afford sometimes. And, why only bikes?

I don't go in the kitchen to make coffee and think "if only this spoon was sterling silver and lighter I could make better coffee. I could stir it faster."

Also, keep in mind this is a cycling forum. If you went to an audio forum you would see clones of us (perhaps we are clones of them) wanting audio equipment that's expensive and made from exotic materials to hear music better.

The most difficult part of spending so much on cycling is keeping track of who to brag about spending so much and who to lie to about spending too much. For example, my s.o. doesn't want me to get a new road bike. So piece by piece I buy parts and upgrade the CrossTourRoad bike I built. Then at some point I'll get a new frame and pretend it's the same bike I was riding last year. In reality, It will be a whole new bike bought slowly for only 30% more than if I would have just gotten a new bike in the first place. I am sure that last paragraph isn't related to the question at hand; I just wanted everyone to know what a sneak I am.
Old 04-14-05, 02:40 AM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moochers_Dad
For example, my s.o. doesn't want me to get a new road bike. So piece by piece I buy parts and upgrade the CrossTourRoad bike I built. Then at some point I'll get a new frame and pretend it's the same bike I was riding last year. In reality, It will be a whole new bike bought slowly for only 30% more than if I would have just gotten a new bike in the first place.
People do that all the time, but don't admit to it. LOL.

I have so many parts lying around that once I get a new frame I could literallly rebuild my old bike the way it was when I first got it.
Old 04-14-05, 05:16 AM
ZackJones
On Your Right

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because bikes like that are sexy. Yesterday at the LBS I drooled over a 16.8 pound look bike they had built up there. My drool quickly dried up when I saw the $4800 price tag on it though.
Old 04-14-05, 06:05 AM
Faust

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was born into this life without any money, and likewise will leave without a penny. Between the beginning and the end of this journey I will explore what I enjoy as long as it pleases me, share as much laughter as possible, do no harm, and find as much comfort and wisdom as I can while in this very mysterious world. An expensive bike...or not, a tasty meal, a vacation, fine conversations, making love, relaxing with a good book and a glass of wine. It will all be gone too soon. Being in the moment is what it is about for me!
Old 04-14-05, 06:43 AM
KirkeIsWaiting
the dog ate my earbuds

Bikes: Colnago CT-1 B-stay Campy Carbon Record, '05 Litespeed Siena Campy, Bridgestone X03 , Peugeot dream bike gets FIXED, Waterford Campy Record Colbalto, Motobecane Tandem in perfect condition, A Belgium made Bertin that was sent by an angel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Faust
I was born into this life without any money, and likewise will leave without a penny. Between the beginning and the end of this journey I will explore what I enjoy as long as it pleases me, share as much laughter as possible, do no harm, and find as much comfort and wisdom as I can while in this very mysterious world. An expensive bike...or not, a tasty meal, a vacation, fine conversations, making love, relaxing with a good book and a glass of wine. It will all be gone too soon. Being in the moment is what it is about for me!

Well said. thanks.
Old 04-14-05, 06:59 AM
royalflash

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d´Huez, Scott Sub 10, homemade mtb, Radlbauer adler (old city bike), Dahon impulse (folder with 20 inch wheels), haibike eq xduro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Faust
wow thats really deep

Plato

(well if he was alive today he would have written it)
Old 02-11-20, 11:56 AM
Johnk3

Bikes: Simoncini, Wilier (2), Cinelli Supercorsa, Cicli Barco XCr

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I read over the post "What would you get?" and practically everyone there listed expensive bicycles with full campy records and all carbon components and stuff like that . . . and I can't help but think, WHY??

Would you actually ride that bicycle? I think I'd be afraid to take it out of the house!

What about insurance? Most companies charge from $6 to $10 per $100 of insurance. A $7000 bicycle would cost a person $400-$700 a year.

Do you really think a bicycle like that would make a huge difference in your performance? All of a sudden you'd be able to fly up hills, win the races, cover centuries in under 4 hours? Maybe it would for some people. I highly doubt a bicycle like that would make much difference in my performance.

Or would it be more like a piece of art? Just like some people own Piccassos or sculptures or whatever.

I'm just trying to understand the desire for a top-of-the-line bicycle.
At my age, 72, I am not particularly concerned with performance in terms of racing, speed, climbing. I am vitaly concerned with the feel and aesthetics of the bike. You question why would anyone want Campy Record. Well, I have Campy Athena, Chorus and Super Record and all I can say is that you have obviously never ridden a bike with a high end groupset. I have had a cheap bike or two and they left me feeling that I had a disposable bit of junk. I sold them. I have a 40 year old handmade Italian racing bike that cost me almost $1,000 when new. It is still one of my favorite bikes to ride. It sings above 20 mph and I have ridden it at 50 mph.

These high end bikes are like high end cars, especially Italian ones. A Ford Prius will get you where you want to go, but an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio will make your trip one to lust for. Those bikes don't just sit in the garage, they are made to ride, ride well and love it. They will also outlast the cheap bike because of the quality of materials and workmanship.

As for insurance, I don't bother. It is very expensive for what you get. Just be damn careful not to do stupid stuff like leave bike anywhere unlocked. If you are prone to riding to shop, to get coffee, to go to work, etc. buy a junker so it's no big deal if you lose it. If you are going to use it to ride for the pleasure of the ride, get a good bike. Life is too short to ride junkers.
Likes For Johnk3:
Old 02-11-20, 12:03 PM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
I want one because I am addicted to nice things.

As someone who can't afford nice things, I split the difference with vintage nice things, hence my 80s Super Record bike, and vintage high-end computers (I played around with an old SGI workstation which would have cost something like $20k back in the day). There's a visceral thrill in handling something which was once the best thing money could buy.
Likes For sheddle:
Old 02-11-20, 12:15 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by sheddle
I want one because I am addicted to nice things.

As someone who can't afford nice things, I split the difference with vintage nice things, hence my 80s Super Record bike, and vintage high-end computers (I played around with an old SGI workstation which would have cost something like $20k back in the day). There's a visceral thrill in handling something which was once the best thing money could buy.
Whoa, talk about zombie threads.
When this one was started, you could still buy new SGI workstations.
Likes For mercator:
Old 02-11-20, 12:25 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 543 Posts
Why would you not want one?

I don't understand all these posts criticizing someone for wanting the best. It doesn't mean that person thinks it's going to suddenly make them a world class athlete but you don't have to be one to appreciate the technology they use. If you're a bicycle enthusiast, why would you not want the best bike? If someone asks the hypothetical question of what would you have if price were no object, of course most people are going to name some exotic bike that appeals to them. It's perfectly natural.

When it gets down to it, I would guess that the majority of people on this forum have the best bike they can reasonably afford and that if they had more disposable cash, they would have something better.
Old 02-11-20, 12:39 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
This is a truly bizarre thread. You've got a whole bunch of cyclists opining how ridiculous it is to buy a $10,000 bike, when the vast majority of the world views their $3,000 bikes as ridiculous.

On edit: Sorry, didn't realize this thread was 15 years old! (Threads should be automatically locked if inactive for a year or two.)
Old 02-11-20, 01:37 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
This is a truly bizarre thread. You've got a whole bunch of cyclists opining how ridiculous it is to buy a $10,000 bike, when the vast majority of the world views their $3,000 bikes as ridiculous.

On edit: Sorry, didn't realize this thread was 15 years old! (Threads should be automatically locked if inactive for a year or two.)
Yep. The bike I was talking about upgrading was 4 bikes ago.
Old 02-11-20, 01:37 PM
Theypeedonmyrug
Banned.

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domain SLR6

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 17 Posts
I bought a bike like that at the age of 67. With death approaching so fast, I knew I would never buy another bike and wouldn’t have another chance to get a bike that is admittedly much better than I really need. I also liked the internally routed cables and fatter tires.
Old 02-11-20, 01:39 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
What hyper-specific combination of words brought a 15-year old thread up as a top hit???
Old 02-11-20, 01:42 PM
Johnk3

Bikes: Simoncini, Wilier (2), Cinelli Supercorsa, Cicli Barco XCr

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
I did not realize this was so old. Sorry. However, it still seems to be a valid question in some folk's minds.
Old 02-11-20, 01:48 PM
Theypeedonmyrug
Banned.

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domain SLR6

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Theypeedonmyrug
I bought a bike like that at the age of 67. With death approaching so fast, I knew I would never buy another bike and wouldn’t have another chance to get a bike that is admittedly much better than I really need. I also liked the internally routed cables and fatter tires.
Originally Posted by Cypress
What hyper-specific combination of words brought a 15-year old thread up as a top hit???
Boy, am I embarrassed! When this thread was born, I was just a young kid in my early fifties. Please forget I said anything.
Likes For Theypeedonmyrug:
Old 02-11-20, 04:37 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
WOW ... blast from the past!!
Old 02-11-20, 04:49 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 2,135 Times in 1,440 Posts
Going to lock just to avoid any more confusion. Fell free to start a new one if interested. Looking back at these are fun though