Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Tough Decision

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Tough Decision

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-05, 07:48 AM
x550x

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tough Decision

Hello Everyone

I am new to the board. That's why I accidently posted this in mountain bike racing. I am looking at getting a new mountain bike. I don't want to go much over $800. I have narrowed it down to specialized since I have a dealer in close proximity to my house and he really knows his stuff. Not to mention I really like the bikes. I test rode three bikes last weekend and liked them all. I have narrowed the field down to these three bikes.

Hardrock Pro Disc
Rockhopper Comp Disc
P.2

I will mainly be riding light XC with some street/urban mixed in. I used to be into BMX and I like the idea of being able to stunt a mountain bike and maybe hit the dirt track once in a while. I am most attracted to the P.2 because it has pretty beefy components and a really strong frame. I liked the rockhopper because of its weight. The hardrock was also nice for its price and all around capabilities. Overall it seemed that the P.2 had the best components (fork, BB, crankset, bombproof frame, etc.) and it looks like the best value. I am not stuck on it and would actually like to be proven wrong because it could save me some money.

So, if you were me, what would you buy. Any advice from owners of these bikes would be greatly appreciated. If you love your bike, tell me why. Don't just say " get the XXX it's awesome.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-29-05, 07:54 AM
the wonginator
Shreddin' heaven on his 20"

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
from what drunken chicken tells me, the hardrock sounds VERY appealing.
Old 06-29-05, 08:09 AM
a2psyklnut

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, of the three bikes, the P.2 is going to be the least XC riding friendly.

As you know, it's more of an Urban/DJ type bike. I had one of the first P.3's when they came out in 2000 and they haven't changed much. It's a great bike to play on. Great for hitting some jumps and it feels really balanced in the air. I had a SMALL, so it was really easy to flick around.

I did also use it for XC, but it wasn't the most comfortable. Sure, you can suffer through it, but it'll tire you out. If you rides are under 20 miles, then you can hang. More than 20 and it'll kick your butt.

The geometry and the weight aren't suited for XC. It'd be using the wrong tool for the job.

The Rockhopper is going to be the most XC friendly and yet tough enough to handle some aggressive riding.

The Hardrock is kinda in between. The frame is beefier (read heavier) than the Rockhopper, but not so extreme as the P.2.

The specs for the Rockhopper and the Hardrock are pretty close to each other.

I'd ride both and buy the one that feels better.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 06-29-05, 08:20 AM
x550x

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can the hardrock frame handle light jumping and drops associated with urban riding? I am not talking extremes here. Maybe some steps and 3-4 foot drops maximum. It seems like a logical choice for an all around bike. I will be using it for everything including trails, xs and paved roads. I liked to geometry and weight and it felt good and strong. I just don't want to break it.

Also, I rode a 17" frame and it felt like a pretty good fit. I am 5'10", do you think a 15" would be to small. I like the idea of being able to flick it around a little bit more. I also don't like "rack me" stand over heights.

Thanks
Old 06-29-05, 08:31 AM
a2psyklnut

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6'0" but I've got short legs (short inseam), so I prefer a smaller frame. Plus, as on old BMXer, I prefer the smaller frame. Again, all a matter of personal choice.

And yeah, the frame can handle some light jumping. Again, if jumping is your thing, get the P.2. If XC is your thing, then the other two are better choices.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 06-29-05, 08:39 AM
Drunken Chicken

Bikes: Check signature

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by x550x
Can the hardrock frame handle light jumping and drops associated with urban riding? I am not talking extremes here. Maybe some steps and 3-4 foot drops maximum. It seems like a logical choice for an all around bike. I will be using it for everything including trails, xs and paved roads. I liked to geometry and weight and it felt good and strong. I just don't want to break it.

Also, I rode a 17" frame and it felt like a pretty good fit. I am 5'10", do you think a 15" would be to small. I like the idea of being able to flick it around a little bit more. I also don't like "rack me" stand over heights.

Thanks
The Hardrock can definately handle 3-4 foot drops, I broke my record yesterday doing a 5 foot to tranny. The frame is beefy and should be able to handle a lot. The Rockhopper is more XC, the Hardrock more all around balanced and the P.2 a street/urban/DJ bike. It's your choice, if you're going to do a bit of everything I'd go for the Hardrock, it'll handle stunts but will ride well doing XC.

As for sizing on the Hardrock, I ride a 15" frame at 5'5". It feels a tiny bit small but I like the feeling of being on the smaller size, I can throw it around better.

Last edited by Drunken Chicken; 06-29-05 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-29-05, 09:35 AM
crashnburn
Senior Goat Hearder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But XXX is awesome!!!

Buy a Hardrock, figure out for youself by reading other posts why it's awesome. I don't own a LBS so I don't have to sell ya.
Old 06-29-05, 10:10 AM
x550x

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies! You have helped with my decision. I am going to my LBS this evening to examine the Hardrock more closely. My LBS just happens to be right down the road from 10 miles of xs trails. I can even take the bike out for a few hours.

Since the Hardrock is considered more of a budget friendly bike what would you say are its weakest components? I noticed that the crank/BB aren't the greatest. Does anyone have experience with this bike. If so, what are its strengths and weaknesses.

Thanks again!
Old 06-29-05, 10:16 AM
the wonginator
Shreddin' heaven on his 20"

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i don't have any real experience, but from what i hear, the fork, bb, crank, and pedals (which is cheap to replace) aren't the greatest. well, they aren't great to begin with.
Old 06-29-05, 10:59 AM
Drunken Chicken

Bikes: Check signature

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by x550x
Thanks for the replies! You have helped with my decision. I am going to my LBS this evening to examine the Hardrock more closely. My LBS just happens to be right down the road from 10 miles of xs trails. I can even take the bike out for a few hours.

Since the Hardrock is considered more of a budget friendly bike what would you say are its weakest components? I noticed that the crank/BB aren't the greatest. Does anyone have experience with this bike. If so, what are its strengths and weaknesses.

Thanks again!
Hi! Well, the pedals are a definate weakness (after I crash I literally RIPPED both pedals off), along with the fork which you're lucky to get an inch of travel out of, and it feels pretty bad, like a pogo stick on speed. I bent the crankset which isn't all that great but in that crash most would have bent so ignore that. Then there's the BB which is starting to make strange sounds and the like. The grips are slightly uncomfortable but nothing major. I can't think of other weaknesses, as nothing else has broken and nothing else seems to be worth noting. One thing I must comment on is that the tyres are great.
Old 06-29-05, 02:38 PM
ementophobic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the hardrock frame itself is fairly strong.
ive done 7-8 foot to tranny and cleared 8 stairs to flat
then again im light