Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Why the hostility?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Why the hostility?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-11, 05:08 PM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why the hostility?

Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster. Something happened at work to me today that has me so incensed that I had to post it here to try to get a handle on how to deal with it...

So I'm pretty new to biking, but it's taken ahold of me in a way that few things do. I'm currently waiting on some parts for my bike (new cassette, new tires, etc) that will allow me to go faster and farther than ever before, and I'm pretty excited about it. I started talking about it with my coworkers at lunch, and they just gave me blank stares at first when I was describing the new gear ratios I'd have. No worries there, they're not really into biking so I didn't expect any great conversation. One of them says "so if you move the pedals, will it go?"

At this point I decide maybe I'll tone the discussion back a little so I don't bore them to death, and I start talking about which roads I think I'm going to start biking down. One of my friends says he would only ride on sidewalks because roads are too dangerous. Fair enough I guess; I point out that's technically illegal, and he says he doesn't care, he doesn't want to get killed. I asked if he wore a helmet, and he says no, he would never do that. At this point the whole table starts agreeing, saying that helmets are for wusses and that no one would ever wear one.

I was going to let this go, but then someone said that they refuse to wear a helmet because it impedes their vision; they can't turn their heads as much to see behind them. I thought that was a silly excuse so I said "well that's why you should get a mirror". The whole table laughed. "Are you serious? Who puts a mirror on their bike?!", said one of them. I was speechless. Another one pipes up and says "You know I'd love a mirror on my bike. I'd also put a windshield, doors, lights, two more wheels, and a V8 engine on my bike. Oh wait, they have those: CARS. Why the hell would anyone bike?".

Finally, and here's what kills me... one of them pops up and says "you know what I do? I ride really close to bikers and try to force them off the road, I hate those ***holes slowing down traffic. The more dangerous I make it for them, the more likely they are to stay home next time!"

The "conversation" pretty much devolved into another 15-20 minutes of making fun of bikers, and I simply couldn't say another word because I was so angry. These were people whom up until today, I had considered friends. Now I am so pissed off at them I don't know what to do. I am not even sure I am going to be able to do my job properly anymore because I have to interact with them on a daily basis and I sure couldn't do that for the rest of the afternoon.

Maybe I'm overreacting, and maybe I'll be calmer tomorrow, but seriously I don't understand why there's this unbelievable hostility towards bikers. I don't even do this like other people do, for now it's simply a weight loss hobby, but I was imagining down the line I would eventually bicycle commute. Now I'm not sure I want to with ***holes like this intentionally trying to harm me.

Anyone have any advice, or dealt with similar situations?
Old 06-07-11, 05:16 PM
johnj2803

Bikes: 93 Specialized Hardrock Ultra (single speed conversion), 2013 Trek Marlin, 2013 Look 566 Ulterga

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this just shows you how uneducated your "friends" are to biking. It is your job to educate them if you want. They all poke fun at things they know little about that is why they find humorous comments to mask their ignorance on the subject. It is human nature really, a defense mechanism.

So chill-ax!
Old 06-07-11, 05:35 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Mithrandir
Now I am so pissed off at them I don't know what to do.
Choose your battles, for starters.
Old 06-07-11, 05:59 PM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
welcome to the real world. Non-bikers don't have a clue. They have a value system which revolves around autos. Ignore them, talk to bikers about bikes and leave them to notice the physical and emotional benefits you gain despite them. Enjoy yourself, they will notice, but it's useless to discuss technicallities with people who are completely ignorant.

Marc
Old 06-07-11, 06:06 PM
RavingManiac

Bikes: 90 Raleigh Chill MTB, 92 Trek 1200, 2004 Trek 2300, 67 Sports, 70 Sports, 71 Philips, Lotus Challenger, 74 Super Course, Univega Gran Tourismo, Nishiki Seral

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never initiate a conversation about bikes with a non-biker. They don't understand.
Old 06-07-11, 06:06 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your co-workers collectively, are obviously of the mindset that bikes don't belong on on the road.

Lookup the traffic laws for your locale(you didn't indicate your location) as it pertains to cyclists' and their right to be on the road.

Then individually(or collectively), show your co-workers the traffic law.
Old 06-07-11, 06:22 PM
Johnny Rebel

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi Castro Valley, 1985 Specialized Sequoia

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd tell them "OK, dudes, but chicks dig cycling." Then show them a picture of Liz Hatch and tell them you've started going on group rides with girls like that. They'll show up to work the next day all Fred-ly, I bet.
Old 06-07-11, 06:33 PM
2wheelcommute

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you've got some idiotic co-workers who will come up with any rationalization they can to excuse their own laziness and mock people who are different.

As for the psycho who admitted intentionally buzzing cyclists ("The more dangerous I make it for them, the more likely they are to stay home next time!"), I'd have to restrain myself from deflating his tires every day during my lunch break (the more you f*** with his car, the more likely he is to be stranded and stay off the road!)
Old 06-07-11, 06:52 PM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RavingManiac
Never initiate a conversation about bikes with a non-biker. They don't understand.
Not true. Many do understand.

More accurately, it's pointless to discuss ANYTHING with the terminally stupid.
Old 06-07-11, 06:52 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
there is also the chance that the co-worker was just pulling your chain.
Old 06-07-11, 06:53 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Actually, I do that all the time... just to gauge the level of hate that folks have for cyclists and to show me that indeed most motorists don't care, and don't know the rules.

What I have done at my work place is post the state rules of the road as they apply to cyclists on the outside of my cube... and at one time I had a thing I think was called the "cyclists bill of rights" or something like that... also posted outside my cube.

Over time coworkers would come by and comment... and came to realize that cyclists do have much the same rights to the road as motorists... and of course there were conversations regarding this at various levels. Don't know if I made any "converts," but I did at least introduce some folks to the fact that cyclists and motorists do have nearly equal rights by law to the roads.

I do still from time to time start conversations with folks that don't know me as a cyclist... just to test the waters.
Old 06-07-11, 06:57 PM
silmarillion

Bikes: 2012 Cinelli Mystic Rat, Nashbar CX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You just gotta let that stuff go. Most people would rather drive to work in a single occupancy vehicle. Gas prices give people something to complain about at the water-cooler. You just keep on riding, before you know it, you'll be feeling better and getting fit. Sure there are people out there who will say and maybe even do bad things to others. Don't let senseless people take your joy away. Have fun and be safe!
Old 06-07-11, 07:20 PM
GeoBigJon

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc, Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That would have pissed me off too. Keep your head up and keep riding, they are just covering their ignorance with the pack mentality.
Old 06-07-11, 07:24 PM
kenji666

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You need to inform your "friend" that running cyclists off the road is illegal, and you might have to report him to the police if someone gets hurt. Tell him you have his conversation on your phone voice recorder as evidence. Maybe that'll skeer him.
Old 06-07-11, 07:25 PM
Brontide
DON'T PANIC!

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Over 2000 miles last year and my coworker has the audacity to come in and whine about how some cyclist held her up for a whopping 30 seconds on some back road without shoulders that "he should not have been riding on". After I said he was riding completely legally she huffed off to complain to someone more receptive. People are morons, shake it off and move along.
Old 06-07-11, 07:26 PM
Brontide
DON'T PANIC!

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kenji666
You need to inform your "friend" that running cyclists off the road is illegal, and you might have to report him to the police if someone gets hurt. Tell him you have his conversation on your phone voice recorder as evidence. Maybe that'll skeer him.
No, just go to HR and inform then that you felt is was a personal threat and let HR sort out the rest.
Old 06-07-11, 07:50 PM
limeylew

Bikes: A 3-speed fixed, a single speed (freewheel), etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster. Something happened at work to me today that has me so incensed that I had to post it here to try to get a handle on how to deal with it...

So I'm pretty new to biking, but it's taken ahold of me in a way that few things do. I'm currently waiting on some parts for my bike (new cassette, new tires, etc) that will allow me to go faster and farther than ever before, and I'm pretty excited about it. I started talking about it with my coworkers at lunch, and they just gave me blank stares at first when I was describing the new gear ratios I'd have. No worries there, they're not really into biking so I didn't expect any great conversation. One of them says "so if you move the pedals, will it go?"

At this point I decide maybe I'll tone the discussion back a little so I don't bore them to death, and I start talking about which roads I think I'm going to start biking down. One of my friends says he would only ride on sidewalks because roads are too dangerous. Fair enough I guess; I point out that's technically illegal, and he says he doesn't care, he doesn't want to get killed. I asked if he wore a helmet, and he says no, he would never do that. At this point the whole table starts agreeing, saying that helmets are for wusses and that no one would ever wear one.

I was going to let this go, but then someone said that they refuse to wear a helmet because it impedes their vision; they can't turn their heads as much to see behind them. I thought that was a silly excuse so I said "well that's why you should get a mirror". The whole table laughed. "Are you serious? Who puts a mirror on their bike?!", said one of them. I was speechless. Another one pipes up and says "You know I'd love a mirror on my bike. I'd also put a windshield, doors, lights, two more wheels, and a V8 engine on my bike. Oh wait, they have those: CARS. Why the hell would anyone bike?".

Finally, and here's what kills me... one of them pops up and says "you know what I do? I ride really close to bikers and try to force them off the road, I hate those ***holes slowing down traffic. The more dangerous I make it for them, the more likely they are to stay home next time!"

The "conversation" pretty much devolved into another 15-20 minutes of making fun of bikers, and I simply couldn't say another word because I was so angry. These were people whom up until today, I had considered friends. Now I am so pissed off at them I don't know what to do. I am not even sure I am going to be able to do my job properly anymore because I have to interact with them on a daily basis and I sure couldn't do that for the rest of the afternoon.

Maybe I'm overreacting, and maybe I'll be calmer tomorrow, but seriously I don't understand why there's this unbelievable hostility towards bikers. I don't even do this like other people do, for now it's simply a weight loss hobby, but I was imagining down the line I would eventually bicycle commute. Now I'm not sure I want to with ***holes like this intentionally trying to harm me.

This about like 'par for the course' to me.

The thing is that, 'for those who don't understand, no explanation is possible and for those that do, none is necessary'.
Old 06-07-11, 08:55 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

First off, as I am sure someone has already said, welcome to the wonderful world of bicycling.

For your co-worker who thinks that riding on the sidewalk is "safer" than riding on the street. Point out to him that because on the sidewalk people are more likely to ride against traffic that it is actually more dangerous to ride on the sidewalk, also point out all of the driveways that one has to cross on a bike on the sidewalk where the driver isn't going to be paying attention to the sidewalk for "crossing traffic."

I don't know what kind of helmet(s) that they're thinking of, but I have absolutely no problems turning my head and looking behind me while I'm wearing my helmet, I also (as do a LOT of members here) have a mirror on my helmet, also as a LOT of members here I have a headlight and taillight mounted to my helmet. Helmets are NOT just for "wusses."

As for your co-worker who likes to ride up close and buzz cyclists thinking/hoping that it'll "encourage" them to stay at home next time. Remind him that that is illegal and that if he should hit a cyclist and kill them that by what he has already admitted to doing that it is likely that he could be charged with premeditated murder. And if you know his license plate number I'd report him to the LEOs just for general purposes. An anonymous call such as "At lunch the other day a co-worker admitted to buzzing cyclists. Here is license plate number, a description of his car, as well as his description." Who knows they may have some open unsolved cases and your tip could be what is needed for them to close them.

Are any of these people over you in a supervisory position? How do you interact with them on a daily basis? Is there another group that you can sit with at lunch? Do you have to take your lunch at the same time as they do? Maybe a few days of not eating with them will get them to see that IF they were joking that it didn't go over too well. And maybe one or more of them will apologize for their comments.
Old 06-07-11, 08:57 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Choose your battles, for starters.
Good point.
Old 06-07-11, 09:02 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by irwin7638
welcome to the real world. Non-bikers don't have a clue. They have a value system which revolves around autos. Ignore them, talk to bikers about bikes and leave them to notice the physical and emotional benefits you gain despite them. Enjoy yourself, they will notice, but it's useless to discuss technicalities with people who are completely ignorant.

Marc
I'd have to say that you're both wrong. Not too long I was at a bus stop talking with a friend of mine who is a bus driver when I had a "kid" on a skateboard start asking questions about bike riding and was able to pull out one of the several copies of the Florida Street Smarts Guide that I carry with me for him to read.

You never know when you'll be able to enlighten someone to something that they hadn't thought of before.
Old 06-07-11, 09:05 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
Your co-workers collectively, are obviously of the mindset that bikes don't belong on on the road.

Lookup the traffic laws for your locale(you didn't indicate your location) as it pertains to cyclists' and their right to be on the road.

Then individually(or collectively), show your co-workers the traffic law.
+100

Plus see if there is a version of the Bicycling Streets Smart Guide edited for your state. If there is contact your local or state bicycle advocacy group to see if you can get some copies of it. And than leave them in the breakroom for your co-workers to read.

I'd also suggest leaving a copy of a bicycling magazine out on your desk.
Old 06-07-11, 09:12 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2wheelcommute
Sounds like you've got some idiotic co-workers who will come up with any rationalization they can to excuse their own laziness and mock people who are different.
Yep, just point out the health benefits to cycling.

Originally Posted by 2wheelcommute
As for the psycho who admitted intentionally buzzing cyclists ("The more dangerous I make it for them, the more likely they are to stay home next time!"), I'd have to restrain myself from deflating his tires every day during my lunch break (the more you f*** with his car, the more likely he is to be stranded and stay off the road!)
I agree, if there's no security cameras in the parking lot it'd be real hard to pass up the opportunity to let the air out of his tires. Than when he asks for help inflating his tires tell him you would but your bicycle tubes have presta valves and your pump/CO2 inflater won't work on his wheels.
Old 06-07-11, 09:16 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Brontide
No, just go to HR and inform then that you felt is was a personal threat and let HR sort out the rest.
Very good point. HR can scare the **** out of people, sometimes more so than a visit from the police.

Last edited by unterhausen; 06-07-11 at 09:38 PM. Reason: please don't defeat the censor
Old 06-07-11, 09:54 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Never initiate a conversation about bikes with a non-biker......
Pretty much my motto, I'll let the other party make the first move since I can determine to what length the conversation should be, plus if the other party wishes to be first in striking up a conversation about my cycling, the conversational outcome generally ends up being much more favorable towards bicycling.

Old 06-07-11, 10:24 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
You'll probably find work more enjoyable if you don't bring up the cycling issue unless someone asks questions. Just do your thing and don't worry about what others may think. They'll accept your cycling soon enough if you don't push the issue.

Oh, and as far as contention over helmets, mirrors and sidewalk riding? Who ever heard of such a thing!

Pedal On!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.