Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Road rage charges from helmet cam

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Road rage charges from helmet cam

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-11, 07:10 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
What would our weapon of choice be?
Helmet laser sight guiding miniaturized AGM-114 Hellfire II.

Last edited by CB HI; 08-03-11 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-03-11, 07:15 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by billdsd
A guy I know who's 6'5" and whose weight tends towards the upper 200's (former football player) and rides a recumbent says that nobody ever harasses him, and he takes the lane regularly on major routes. I wonder why they don't harass him?

Oh yeah. I forgot. Bullies are cowards. They won't pick on the big dude who could squash them like a bug.
Yep, I know that, when I was in the scouts. My patrol leader's brother was on vacation in Canada with a friend of his. They were walking down a street and a group of bullies approached them. They looked my patrol leader's brother up and down and went for his friend. His brother was a football player, which is why they went for his smaller friend.

Which was a big mistake. He was a black belt. Let's just say that the end result was much different than what the bullies thought was going to happen.
Old 08-03-11, 07:16 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Sounds good.
Old 08-03-11, 08:16 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Generalize much?

That is not even close to true. The people who think that bicyclists don't have a right to the road are a small minority.
Maybe not in San Diego, but it is certainly true in the DC-Metro region. Here they pretty much all have the 'me first' attitude.
Old 08-03-11, 10:44 PM
kjmillig

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hit me with your vehicle, your fist, a 40mph beer bottle, etc. and I take it as an attempt to cause severe bodily injury or death, and I will respond with appropriate force. Yes, I carry when riding my bike.
Old 08-03-11, 10:59 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
A guy I know who's 6'5" and whose weight tends towards the upper 200's (former football player) and rides a recumbent says that nobody ever harasses him, and he takes the lane regularly on major routes. I wonder why they don't harass him?

Oh yeah. I forgot. Bullies are cowards. They won't pick on the big dude who could squash them like a bug.
I'm only 6'2", 200#, 10% body fat. I had one of those would-be bullies give me a bit of a buzz on my return home from Portland last weekend. He even stopped his small pick-up and backed up towards me a bit. As I closed in on his position, he realized that getting out of his vehicle would be suicide. I was only mildly disappointed he declined to dance since I didn't want to take all day about getting home and one never knows what law enforcement is going to make of such situations. I'm sure he would have shown more "courage" if I was smaller or fatter.
Old 08-04-11, 04:35 AM
limeylew

Bikes: A 3-speed fixed, a single speed (freewheel), etc.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by r_kangaroo
wow, what the hell is wrong with people. I just started cycling again (I'm 25 now, haven't really been on a bicycle since high school) and after cruising this forum and seeing stories like this, I'm actually scared of crazy people in cars. What nutters.
Hi, I'm 71 and have been cycling for a LONG time.

May I respectfully suggest that you ALWAYS ride with a mirror.
Old 08-04-11, 04:40 AM
limeylew

Bikes: A 3-speed fixed, a single speed (freewheel), etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hairyman
It's a strange world out there. In the past few years I've been noticing a huge increase in selfish, uncivil behavior.

I've personally been attacked on my bike three times in the past 18 months by angry motorists:

-One drove ahead of me and around a corner, got out of his car and waited, then ran out into the road and shoved me to the ground as I came around the corner. No charges from the police.

-Another sideswiped me with his pickup truck several times before finally knocking me down, then jumped out of his truck, tackled me into the ditch and started choking me. DA wouldn't prosecute -- cited "self-defense".

-Just this week I was riding on an empty road when someone came up from behind and sideswiped me with his car then slammed on the brakes and swerved into me, knocking me to the ground in front of the car. They lurched forward and hit me again with the front of the car before backing up and speeding off around me. Police can't find the driver due to illegally-attached license plates.

Then there are at least half a dozen people in the same timeframe who have stopped in the middle of the road, exited their cars and come after me. I got away from those ones without injury.

I carry police-grade pepper spray now and I would wear a camera, but I can't afford it.
Here is the camera that I use and it is VERY affordable:-

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The instructions are in Chinglish but ENGLISH instructions are also available online.

Hope this will help you.
Old 08-04-11, 05:16 AM
degnaw

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by limeylew
Here is the camera that I use and it is VERY affordable:-

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The instructions are in Chinglish but ENGLISH instructions are also available online.

Hope this will help you.
Can I suggest this version instead?
https://cgi.ebay.com/808HD-11-HD-DV-K...item2564420a4a
Video quality is leaps and bounds above the standard #3 or #8.
Old 08-04-11, 07:08 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Yeah but then you've got to ride around all day with that thing strapped to your bike, just waiting for the right situation... and what the launch would do to your paint... oh my.

Old 08-04-11, 07:27 AM
hairyman
cyclocommuter

Bikes: L.L. Bean Evolution hybrid, Jazz Voltage rigid mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In your second case, how was that "self defense?" A person in a 2-ton vehicle tries to do his best to turn you into road kill, then jumps out and tackles you and proceeds to choke you and that's "self defense?" Where did that DA go to law school? Did they go to law school?!?
That had me scratching my head, too. The police officer who read the DA's decision to me said that since I was yelling and cursing at the driver through his open window, the driver was scared for his safety and "didn't know what I was capable of".

Old 08-04-11, 07:33 AM
hairyman
cyclocommuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by degnaw
Are the videos on your YouTube channel from the #11 camera? They seem to be pretty good quality.
Old 08-04-11, 07:44 AM
benjdm

Bikes: Sun EZ-Speedster SX, Volae Expedition

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not to nitpick, though, but the camera in the article is a handlebar camera, not a helmet camera.
True. Ah, well.
Old 08-04-11, 07:46 AM
sggoodri

Bikes: 1983 Trek 500, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2023 Litespeed Watia

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Yeah but then you've got to ride around all day with that thing strapped to your bike, just waiting for the right situation... and what the launch would do to your paint... oh my.
When I was 15 I built a double-barrel rocket launcher that mounted to the frame of my bike, with a launch control panel that attached to the handlebars next to the brake lever. The rockets used Estes D-size solid propellent engines. I never went through with adding explosives to them because I couldn't really imagine ever wanting to hurt anyone, and I didn't like the risks of blowing myself up. I mostly just wanted to see if I could do it. Turns out that as long as the exhaust end of the launch tube is aimed away from the frame and wheels, no harm will come to the bike. Smells kinda bad, though.

A few months later the TV show Street Hawk aired, and many of my friends wanted me to build rocket launchers for their bikes, motorcycles, and even cars. I decided that I didn't want to be in the arms business, and didn't want the technology to fall into the wrong hands, so I haven't built weapons since.
Old 08-04-11, 08:07 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by sggoodri
When I was 15 I built a double-barrel rocket launcher that mounted to the frame of my bike, with a launch control panel that attached to the handlebars next to the brake lever. The rockets used Estes D-size solid propellent engines. I never went through with adding explosives to them because I couldn't really imagine ever wanting to hurt anyone, and I didn't like the risks of blowing myself up. I mostly just wanted to see if I could do it. Turns out that as long as the exhaust end of the launch tube is aimed away from the frame and wheels, no harm will come to the bike. Smells kinda bad, though.

A few months later the TV show Street Hawk aired, and many of my friends wanted me to build rocket launchers for their bikes, motorcycles, and even cars. I decided that I didn't want to be in the arms business, and didn't want the technology to fall into the wrong hands, so I haven't built weapons since.
When I was a a bit younger than that, I put a bunch of bottle rockets in the rear double metal baskets on my bike... The result was a lot of smoke and sparks, but no acceleration.
Old 08-04-11, 08:15 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
That had me scratching my head, too. The police officer who read the DA's decision to me said that since I was yelling and cursing at the driver through his open window, the driver was scared for his safety and "didn't know what I was capable of".

The addition of a couple of video cams helped me considerably in lowering my frustration and hostility in aggressive motorist interactions. I now can concentrate even more on my personal safety without have the totally helpless feeling of not being able to gather information on the motorist.

In my last reported aggressive motorist incident, I was able to confidently give details of the offending motorist's vehicle, right down to the minute details of their damaged right front fender.

Old 08-04-11, 12:00 PM
Seanholio

Bikes: Vision R40 - recumbent, Gunnar Crosshairs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For double the price it had better be!

Before anyone gets any gas over this, the device only costs $40.
Old 08-04-11, 12:13 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

So we're to believe that the driver and the DA and possibly the cop thought that for no reason that you started yelling and cursing at the driver. That that equaled a more serious crime by the driver?
Old 08-04-11, 12:44 PM
hairyman
cyclocommuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So we're to believe that the driver and the DA and possibly the cop thought that for no reason that you started yelling and cursing at the driver. That that equaled a more serious crime by the driver?
I neglected to mention that there was definitely some hanky-panky going on behind the scenes. The driver who attacked me is a well-known local good ol' boy and the police officer who investigated the incident admitted to being buddies with him.

Also, the police department of the town in which this incident occurred had been harassing me for several weeks before the incident. They pulled me over a number of times for "not riding far enough to the right", even though I was riding to the left to avoid a hazard, which is perfectly legal here.

I don't work in that town any more so I haven't ridden my bike there lately, but I have an open-ended threat from the police to pull me over the next time they see me "riding on the road".

I don't know how far up the chain the shenanigans went, but there certainly was some corruption on the local police department level.
Old 08-04-11, 01:18 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I neglected to mention that there was definitely some hanky-panky going on behind the scenes. The driver who attacked me is a well-known local good ol' boy and the police officer who investigated the incident admitted to being buddies with him.

Also, the police department of the town in which this incident occurred had been harassing me for several weeks before the incident. They pulled me over a number of times for "not riding far enough to the right", even though I was riding to the left to avoid a hazard, which is perfectly legal here.

I don't work in that town any more so I haven't ridden my bike there lately, but I have an open-ended threat from the police to pull me over the next time they see me "riding on the road".

I don't know how far up the chain the shenanigans went, but there certainly was some corruption on the local police department level.
Not a good situation for anyone then. I'd suggest a call to either the sheriff's office or the state police. As I would say that a cop who is friends with someone being investigated is a clear conflict of interests.

And that open-ended threat from the police also needs to be investigated by either the sheriff's office or the state police.

And as Genec and I discussed in one or more threads, I just love how motorists (and LEOs) expect us cyclists to ride through conditions that they themselves wouldn't drive their cars, i.e. a broken bottle in our path no problem your tires aren't worth as much as those on a car, yet ironically I know of at least one person whose tires are cheaper then what I'm riding on. He get's his tires for $20.00 a piece. I paid $60.00 each for mine. So even though all four of his tires cost more than one of mine, both of mine cost more than all four of his.

And yes, they're Specialized Armadillo's. And just because I have "bulletproof" tires, that doesn't mean that I want to ride through an "impassable" debris field.
Old 08-04-11, 03:48 PM
degnaw

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Seanholio
For double the price it had better be!

Before anyone gets any gas over this, the device only costs $40.
Quadruple the price actually, the #3 or #8 cameras typically sell for $10 without a memory card. IMO it's well worth the extra cost.

Are the videos on your YouTube channel from the #11 camera? They seem to be pretty good quality.
Most are, the oldest few are taken with a #8 camera.
Old 08-04-11, 05:42 PM
genec
genec

Not a good situation for anyone then. I'd suggest a call to either the sheriff's office or the state police. As I would say that a cop who is friends with someone being investigated is a clear conflict of interests.

And that open-ended threat from the police also needs to be investigated by either the sheriff's office or the state police.

And as Genec and I discussed in one or more threads, I just love how motorists (and LEOs) expect us cyclists to ride through conditions that they themselves wouldn't drive their cars, i.e. a broken bottle in our path no problem your tires aren't worth as much as those on a car, yet ironically I know of at least one person whose tires are cheaper then what I'm riding on. He get's his tires for $20.00 a piece. I paid $60.00 each for mine. So even though all four of his tires cost more than one of mine, both of mine cost more than all four of his.

And yes, they're Specialized Armadillo's. And just because I have "bulletproof" tires, that doesn't mean that I want to ride through an "impassable" debris field.
Armadillos are only bullet proof to a point... Yeah, I like 'em too. Bit heavy though.
Old 08-04-11, 06:08 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Armadillos are only bullet proof to a point... Yeah, I like 'em too. Bit heavy though.
Agreed, which is why even though they're "bulletproof" (to a point) I don't want to push my luck and ride through a bunch of broken glass, but if I have to do so at least I can be reasonably assured that I can do so safely, or at least as safely as possible.
Old 08-04-11, 06:15 PM
RStewinCA

Bikes: Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think we should all become cyclist who hunt road raging motorist. It is an extremely safe sport .26 x .08
I am not a math PHD, but I would think that .26 + .08 would be closer to correct number?
Old 08-04-11, 06:26 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by RStewinCA
I am not a math PHD, but I would think that .26 + .08 would be closer to correct number?
More of a joke, you would actually have to sum the probabilities, then divide by the number of probabilities summed and then throw in some type of adjusting ratio to resolve variations of the risk factors due to combining the activities, outside the pure mathmatical basis.

Are we having fun yet?

At least one person did the math to see what the result looked like.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.