Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

How much did a multi state (US) tour cost you?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

How much did a multi state (US) tour cost you?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-17, 05:36 PM
LuckySailor

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
If you're looking for something more detailed or in particular, send me a PM.
Old 04-24-17, 04:52 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
While I found a couple posts puzzling, this thread is a pretty good sampling of the various approaches that folks take to touring spending/expenses. Read the responses and try to guess which one fits your style. Then budget plenty of extra. It is more pleasant to tour without having to worry much about expenditures.

Bottom line... You can get by on very little, but a set budget (or a set timetable) can be a joy killer, so allowing more of both and finishing ahead of schedule and under budget is a good way to go. At least that has been my experience.
Old 04-24-17, 05:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by LuckySailor
There were a few days that I took PBnJ sandwiches for snacks and lunch-but I grew tired of those really quick.
Heh. Same thing during my group cross the U.S. tour. I still have a hard time eating a PB&J sandwich today.
Old 04-24-17, 07:50 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
...I still have a hard time eating a PB&J sandwich today.
Same here. Can't stand it at home. But funny thing is, it's ambrosia when I'm back out on a strenuous tour!
Old 04-24-17, 08:59 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Heh. Same thing during my group cross the U.S. tour. I still have a hard time eating a PB&J sandwich today.
Try touring Belgium and the Netherlands. I didn't touch fries for a good month and a half when I returned!

They were a great, cheap source of energy, though.
Old 04-24-17, 03:02 PM
thepetester

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The reason that I asked for a expenditure list

Originally Posted by axolotl
You would get more useful replies if you specify your intentions for eating and sleeping. Do you intend to camp exclusively? If so, in campgrounds, stealth camping, or a mix? If not, how often in motels? Any Warmshowers hosts? Will you be making your own meals exclusively? If not, what is your expected frequency of eating and drinking out?
is so I can learn from those lists,come on guy's I know that we as men are dense by nature but this is getting ridiculous.
Old 04-24-17, 03:12 PM
thepetester

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool thank you very much

Originally Posted by LuckySailor
I don't believe that the OP is not able to afford the tour he wants to go on.....I had the same question before I went on tour. One just wants to wrap his head around costs, and identify what the normal is: Food, drink, camping, misc. When I toured across Canada, 72 days, $5,900= $82/day. Misc repairs, like a chain, cassette, a cable replacement, $200. I camped every night in campgrounds, and I had 3 meals a day-breakfast and dinner prepared at the campground, lunch usually stopped for soup and a salad, sometimes stopping for ice cream 3-4 times a day, and Gatorade when it was really freakin hot humid. There were a few days that I took PBnJ sandwiches for snacks and lunch-but I grew tired of those really quick. Had an absolute blast and I am looking forward to splurging on myself again next year going to the Arctic Circle!
that's exactly what I was looking for.

You really do splurge but hey as long as you are enjoying yourself.

I plan on pretty much roughing it stealth camping with cold creek baths and cold food(pb&j,jerky,granola,water etc.) With occasional hot meals probably fast food.

My goal is to see a part of the country by bicycle which I've wanted to do since I was a kid before it is gone.

Thanks again for all of the idea's.
Old 04-25-17, 04:57 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by thepetester
I plan on pretty much roughing it stealth camping with cold creek baths and cold food(pb&j,jerky,granola,water etc.) With occasional hot meals probably fast food.
Given those choices $20-25 a day is probably plenty.

As far as stealth camping... If you want to you can probably camp for cheap or free most of the time without resorting to stealth.
Old 04-25-17, 05:14 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
$20 will do it.
Old 04-25-17, 05:30 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Weeklong, 400-mile tour from Pittsburgh to Washington DC along the GAP and C&O Canal trails cost me about $500 total for lodging, food, beer and Amtrak rail. Rode with several friends and we shared rooms at inns along the way, which helped defray costs. We stayed at nice places, which often included breakfasts, and didn't camp out. Not a budget tour by any means but costs were reasonable considering the food and accommodations.
Old 04-25-17, 06:48 AM
thepetester

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
Weeklong, 400-mile tour from Pittsburgh to Washington DC along the GAP and C&O Canal trails cost me about $500 total for lodging, food, beer and Amtrak rail. Rode with several friends and we shared rooms at inns along the way, which helped defray costs. We stayed at nice places, which often included breakfasts, and didn't camp out. Not a budget tour by any means but costs were reasonable considering the food and accommodations.
That sounds really nice,I'm thinking about doing the same it's just that I really don't like hotels/motels also I'm kinda trying to test myself with roughing it.
Old 04-25-17, 07:16 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
That sounds really nice,I'm thinking about doing the same it's just that I really don't like hotels/motels also I'm kinda trying to test myself with roughing it.
There are plenty of nice places to camp along the GAP-C&O trails, as well as hostels and low-cost lodgings in some towns.
Old 04-25-17, 07:50 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
GAP-C&O trails have plenty of free primitive sites.

Old 04-26-17, 07:15 AM
tarwheel 

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
If you haven't visited this website yet, check it out. It has detailed maps of the GAP-C&O route along with information about camping, lodging, food, bike shops, etc. along the way.

Great Allegheny Passage & C&O Canal Trail Trail Maps, Businesses, Events, Mileage, and more
Old 04-26-17, 07:36 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I am budgeting $2k for a 10 day trip in Oregon this summer. Includes flights, hotels, camping, food and rental car. So $200 a day averaged out. The problem with asking such an open ended question is that there are too many variables.
Old 04-26-17, 07:42 AM
alan s 

Oh yeah, and don't forget to budget in the cost of MJ.
Old 04-26-17, 07:56 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
The problem with asking such an open ended question is that there are too many variables.
+1. Unfortunately, it happens all the time around here.

I am heading to MT in June for 14 days of riding with two travel days. I am not even going to try to come up with a budget because there are so many variables that could affect that, such as where I end up camping, how many times I end up eating out and whether I end up in motels due to weather. Bike packing, shipping and re-assembly are other yet unknown costs. I do know that the flight alone was a hair over $800 and the campground on the day of my arrival is somewhere around $33 with tax. I also booked a motel room near the airport the day before my flight because last year getting a cab from the same campground proved impossible and I had to walk 3 miles at 4 a.m. Forget how much the room is exactly, but I think it is over $100.

In the end, the trip will cost what it ends up costing, and I am prepared to shell out that amount. It's not that I go out of my way to spend as much as possible, but it is my vacation and I don't want to have to be concerned with how much I am shelling out.
Old 04-26-17, 08:21 AM
alan s 

In the end, the trip will cost what it ends up costing, and I am prepared to shell out that amount. It's not that I go out of my way to spend as much as possible, but it is my vacation and I don't want to have to be concerned with how much I am shelling out.
Exactly. I wouldn't say I have a budget, but rather an estimated cost. It's my vacation, and I'll spend whatever it costs within reason.
Old 04-28-17, 09:29 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I tour in Australia. For $1000 AUD I tour for anywhere between 4 to 6 weeks. The longest trip was 2747 km on the paved road between Perth and Peterborough, SA. I did that in 30 days at a cost of $1K (July-Aug 2015). A more remote tour was July-Aug 2006 when I also spent $1K and rode 2100 km mostly on dirt roads between Cairns and Darwin.

It appears costs are greater in Canada/USA but I had low costs because I usually wild camped and cooked many meals on my SIGG Tourist stove.

Thanks for providing more details about your trip. If I were touring on Canada/USA I would camp as much as possible and take $100/day hoping to spend only for food etc. Camping would be ad-hockery but I would pay if I had to - still cheaper than a hotel/motel.

BUT if I could stay in a motel on a rest day, I would certainly consider that as the physical and psychological benefits of occasional comforts have many benefits. Travelling in the rain would add to the expenses and slow me down, methinks - but I don't have much experience with that in my Australian travels.
Old 04-28-17, 10:12 AM
gracehowler
Rod & Judy

Bikes: Specialized S-works E-5, Davinci joint venture , CoMotion Pangea

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I think "luckysailor" and "snuts' have it right, Budget hundred a day, if you spend less, ride longer or save for next year. I personally think this number is quite variable depending on your age and "luck" of weather, eateries, hosts, motels, campgrounds, etc, just turn around when half your $ is spent!
R&J
Old 04-28-17, 10:31 AM
thepetester

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually that's medication

Originally Posted by alan s
Oh yeah, and don't forget to budget in the cost of MJ.
So not part of the trip budget,like insulin for a diabetic.
Old 04-28-17, 10:37 AM
thepetester

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even the low ballers are saying $20-25 a day so I'm assuming that $20 a day in food is necessary,I guess that sounds right,I work a 12 hr job where I'm constantly moving and lifting except for half an hour which costs about $10 a day,I just tried $5 a day and got horribly sick.

It's a good thing that I checked here first because I would have tried $10 a day for food and gotten horribly sick again.
Old 04-28-17, 11:10 AM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
I rode from San Francisco to Atlanta in 42 days on $4oo dollars. Staying at hotels and eating at restaurants are financial landmines.
Old 04-28-17, 03:12 PM
thepetester

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I may try something similar

Originally Posted by Brian25
I rode from San Francisco to Atlanta in 42 days on $4oo dollars. Staying at hotels and eating at restaurants are financial landmines.
but much less miles,the economy may have adjusted for the difference though,thanks for the insight.
Old 04-29-17, 09:24 PM
Turkey222

Bikes: Novara Safari

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I spent $7000 on my trip from Fairbanks, Ak to Whittier and Bellingham, WA to Lynchburg, Virginia. I probably used hotels 40% of the time. Did Olympic Pennisula Loop and Yellowstone Loop so that added a good chunk of spending and time.

My short one-way trip from Lynchburg to Key West cost me $3,000, but I splurged a lot on bars, hotels, and tourist items. I don't even consider that bad considering the amount of money people spend going on vacation for just a week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.