Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

What made You So Big?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-18, 10:21 AM
bikingbill

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 26, Brompton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fiat0
100 miles / week works out to 14 miles per day. Interesting. That's commitment.
That was 1996. During 1997 to 1999 it was 8000+ mile years. I did this because I had a 33mi RT commute that was fun on the bike, horrific in an automobile (Cardiff by the Sea, CA to University Town Center, CA). Climbing up the 'inside' of Torry Pines park was the highlight of my day. I had showers at work and indoor bike parking.
Old 10-15-18, 11:08 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
It wasn't my fault. It was a conspiracy. So far I've identified Sara Lee, Ben and Jerry, Captain Crunch, Edy, Uncle Ben, Mrs. Butterworth, Bud Weiser, Famous Amos, Baby Ruth, some guy named McDonald, Popeye and many many others. I didn't have a chance. ��
Old 10-16-18, 07:33 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
It wasn't my fault. It was a conspiracy. So far I've identified Sara Lee, Ben and Jerry, Captain Crunch, Edy, Uncle Ben, Mrs. Butterworth, Bud Weiser, Famous Amos, Baby Ruth, some guy named McDonald, Popeye and many many others. I didn't have a chance. ��
All advertising 3 for $6. Followed by a weight watchers commercial.

At least Nestle sold Jenny Craig
Old 10-16-18, 09:12 AM
fiat0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually do think it's pretty much as simple, for most people, as counting calories and determining approximate usage. Is it exact? No...but it's close. There's some fluctuation as far as water weight
yeah, calories ... activity.. the formula is simple. But the reason it does not work for many is because there is the psychological factor involved. When you are near a lot of food all the time, everywhere, calorie dense, *cheap* food, it's hard to resist. Starbucks has calories in it, various fast food joints, sometimes you are given free pizza..
call it peer pressure
Old 10-16-18, 01:43 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by fiat0
yeah, calories ... activity.. the formula is simple. But the reason it does not work for many is because there is the psychological factor involved. When you are near a lot of food all the time, everywhere, calorie dense, *cheap* food, it's hard to resist. Starbucks has calories in it, various fast food joints, sometimes you are given free pizza..
call it peer pressure
Rule 1: Don't be around lots of food. If it looks tempting, I just put some distance between it and me. The challenge is when its your job (you can always tell who's eating the profits), or that smell comes through your window.
Old 10-16-18, 02:21 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,426 Times in 2,533 Posts
I swear, I could never work at Google or any of those kinds of places with amazing free food all day every day. I don't know what would come first: 400lb or getting fired for too much eating, not enough working.

Free food is my kryptonite
Old 10-16-18, 05:22 PM
bikingbill

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Rule 1: Don't be around lots of food. If it looks tempting, I just put some distance between it and me. The challenge is when its your job (you can always tell who's eating the profits), or that smell comes through your window.
My office has free snacks of all kinds. So that doesn't work. I stick to the seaweed snacks and the fruit and leave the tasty energy bars, 300 calories mixed nut bags and dried fruits alone. It is not easy.
Old 10-16-18, 07:24 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

My work has free coffee and sodas. At that level I am able to avoid sugar (diet cokes, and I prefer my coffee black anyways)

But fairly often there are 'catering opportunities', i.e. lunch brought in for a meeting, and leftovers left out for general consumption.

In that case, you can just call me The General.
Old 10-16-18, 09:48 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by bikingbill
My office has free snacks of all kinds. So that doesn't work. I stick to the seaweed snacks and the fruit and leave the tasty energy bars, 300 calories mixed nut bags and dried fruits alone. It is not easy.
Does that mean the snacks mosey over to your location? I know its not easy but we've got to fight the feeling. I use Intermittent fasting (IF to help me): if its not in my feeding window (most of the day), I know I can't touch it.

P.S. But that doesn't mean I can't collect some for later.
Originally Posted by RubeRad
My work has free coffee and sodas. At that level I am able to avoid sugar (diet cokes, and I prefer my coffee black anyways)

But fairly often there are 'catering opportunities', i.e. lunch brought in for a meeting, and leftovers left out for general consumption.

In that case, you can just call me The General.
Then again, everything in moderation. There's nothing wrong with treating yourself. So I have a cheat day once a week and have a pastry or just some sugar in my coffee/tea/etc. The challenge of maintaining a good diet deserves a reward...every once in a while.

Last edited by KraneXL; 10-16-18 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-17-18, 08:33 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I've decided since I'm suffering through a cold, it's a cheat week for me
Old 10-17-18, 09:46 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by RubeRad
I've decided since I'm suffering through a cold, it's a cheat week for me
Now, now. we don't want to move backwards do we? Besides, I typically lose my appetite when I have a cold/get sick.
Old 10-17-18, 09:50 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I never lose my appetite. Or maybe more accurate, I'm stuffed up and coughy and achy, but not sick enough to lose my appetite.
Old 10-17-18, 12:36 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Besides, I typically lose my appetite when I have a cold/get sick.
Same here. I have a cold with minor sinus infection that seems to be clearing up. Definitely put somewhat of a damper on my desire to eat, although it didn't stop me from roasting a whole snapper for last night's dinner.
Old 10-17-18, 04:01 PM
bikingbill

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Does that mean the snacks mosey over to your location? I know its not easy but we've got to fight the feeling. I use Intermittent fasting (IF to help me): if its not in my feeding window (most of the day), I know I can't touch it.
They are sitting right behind me, 20 ft. away.

Sometimes they bring in lunch too.

Yes, the office has a bar too.
Old 10-18-18, 07:50 AM
bennybenny

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Goodbye Clydes! Weighed in at 199.2 today, at age 43 and 6 foot. I haven't had the journey that some of you had, only topped out at 216, but lost the weight pretty quickly. My goal by Spring is to build muscle, endurance, and weigh in at 170 as I still feel heavy on a road bike at 200lbs. Thank you for your inspiring stories, keep going!!!

I am no expert and my methods might not be correct, but few things I've learned in losing a tad of weight:

1. I weigh myself everyday. This keeps me accountable and keeps me thinking about the next day weigh in. This is not for everyone. I went out for pizza at a new place with my kids the other night, and I love pizza, but I took it easy thinking about the next day weigh in (which was up!).

2. I didn't start losing weight until I started lifting weights.

3. I picked endurance events and am training for them in the Spring and Summer. I need a goal, I need to envision myself several months from now and where I want to be. I just don't 'want to lose weight.'

4. Early morning workouts before work: empty gym, gets me going for the day, calorie burn continues throughout the day; there is no way I can workout at night after work and kid stuff.

5. It's all diet. All the often confusing losing weight information, I think it comes down to consuming less.

6. avoiding 'slumps'; I was cruising along losing weight 2-4 lbs per week, and then BANG! Went out one night, drank, skipped workout next am, ate poorly, but this continued for FIVE days. I realized that I have had slumps that have lasted years! So avoid the slumps, or keep the slump for one day and then start chipping away again.

Take care, keep pushing yourselves as will I.

Benny
Old 10-18-18, 08:16 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by bennybenny
Goodbye Clydes! Weighed in at 199.2 today, at age 43 and 6 foot. I haven't had the journey that some of you had, only topped out at 216, but lost the weight pretty quickly. My goal by Spring is to build muscle, endurance, and weigh in at 170 as I still feel heavy on a road bike at 200lbs. Thank you for your inspiring stories, keep going!!!

I am no expert and my methods might not be correct, but few things I've learned in losing a tad of weight:

1. I weigh myself everyday. This keeps me accountable and keeps me thinking about the next day weigh in. This is not for everyone. I went out for pizza at a new place with my kids the other night, and I love pizza, but I took it easy thinking about the next day weigh in (which was up!).

2. I didn't start losing weight until I started lifting weights.

3. I picked endurance events and am training for them in the Spring and Summer. I need a goal, I need to envision myself several months from now and where I want to be. I just don't 'want to lose weight.'

4. Early morning workouts before work: empty gym, gets me going for the day, calorie burn continues throughout the day; there is no way I can workout at night after work and kid stuff.

5. It's all diet. All the often confusing losing weight information, I think it comes down to consuming less.

6. avoiding 'slumps'; I was cruising along losing weight 2-4 lbs per week, and then BANG! Went out one night, drank, skipped workout next am, ate poorly, but this continued for FIVE days. I realized that I have had slumps that have lasted years! So avoid the slumps, or keep the slump for one day and then start chipping away again.

Take care, keep pushing yourselves as will I.

Benny

Old 10-18-18, 08:46 AM
bennybenny

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the opinion on weighing one self everyday, I will have to remember that as I exit the Clyde division. Off to buy new 32 inch pants, 34 now baggy!

Benny
Old 10-18-18, 06:05 PM
bikingbill

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My big revelation is that weight loss and maintenance requires the exercise of habits that can be strengthened in the same way you build up a bicep or aerobic capacity.

In 2008 I moved to the top of a hill that meant every bike ride home involved a 3/4 mile ride up a hill that hit 12% at points. See slope:

At first, this was a pain, but over time it became a non-issue.

So applying this to eating habits I do stuff like "no food after 7:00 pm" ... or going to a party and not eating anything just for the discipline. Strengthening these habits seems to make losing weight easier.