Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Flat Mount Hydraulic Disc Brakes for Flat Bars

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Flat Mount Hydraulic Disc Brakes for Flat Bars

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-18, 08:10 PM
Delwis
Trekker

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6, Trek FXS6, Trek X-Claiber9

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bogydave
Bike shop had Shimano SLX
Paid a little much
But got free install, lines cut & sized

Gotta support your local bike shop ,
They’ve bailed me out a few times

Noticed a Big difference in just a little test ride .

No squealing, LOL
Can we see them please?
Old 02-03-18, 08:48 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Shimano SL
Attached Images
Old 02-03-18, 08:56 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Link
Old 02-03-18, 09:25 PM
Delwis
Trekker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice set up. I like the split handlebar mounts. The Tektro I'm waiting to hear about has them too. I wish companies like Shimano, SRAM and Tektro would come up with more choices for flat mount and flat bar levers. There's not a whole lot to choose from right now. There are some great looking post mount brakes out there but, I don't want to have to use an adapter.
Old 02-04-18, 10:31 AM
V8Interceptor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure you mentioned this already, but what are the options for flat mount & flat bar levers?
Old 02-04-18, 10:52 AM
Delwis
Trekker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as strictly hydraulic goes, I have found the Shimano 505, 805, Dura-Ace and Ultegra calipers. The Simano XT, XTR, SLX and Saint levers. The Shimano Metrea and Tektro Twist R (which may or may not be available), the stock 310 and 290(?) caliper and lever sets. Just started looking at SRAM so, not sure yet.

Last edited by Delwis; 02-04-18 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-04-18, 10:59 AM
Delwis
Trekker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SRAM Red, Force, Apex and Rival Calipers. Avid XX.

It looks like a lot of choices but I'd like a matched set. It's tough with all the different road calipers and MTB levers.

Guess I'll have to take a better look at SRAM.

Hopefully, I'll hear about the Tektro Twist R tomorrow or Tuesday.
Old 02-04-18, 11:28 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
[web surfing before coffee] ~o)

TRP brakes offers a Di2 adapter for their hydraulic road disc brakes.. https://www.trpcycling.com/product/h...2-adapter-kit/

& on that site see adapters to mount a flat mount caliper on a post mount frame, https://www.trpcycling.com/product/f...mount-adapter/
maybe double up adapters on ISO frame,? <thats a guess>

work with Shimano ? throw the dice.. good luck.

Old 02-04-18, 01:32 PM
Delwis
Trekker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Bob. Yeah, the selection opens up with adapters. But, I am trying to avoid that. Ideally, I will find a matched set of flat bar levers and flat mount calipers on the order of the Metrea. Or, those Tektro Twist R's. If Shimano had a flat bar Ultegra lever to go with their caliper, I would have been all set. They'll probably come out with it after I buy. The search continues.......
Old 07-05-19, 12:42 PM
smuppa2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Trek Fx 2 brake upgrades

Hi,

Thank you for this post. I am looking to upgrade my Trek FX 2. I miss my hydraulic disc brakes from Trek DS 8.4. The FX 2 has mechanical disc brakes.

I heard the TRP were good, but I was looking at the Trek FX 6 components, I know the frames are of different materials.

The 105 components sound great for what I'm looking for, I want reliability. I wish I could build it like the DS 8.4, that thing was durable, and the handling was amazing.

Any advice appreciated, current brakes are Tektro M280 mechanical disc. I'm clueless, so I have to change the shifters also right?
Old 07-05-19, 05:10 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
@smuppa2, what shifters and brake levers do you currently have? A Shimano part number will be helpful. You can usually find it underneath the unit. If the shift lever and brake lever are integrated into one unit (and there's just one clamp on the handlebar), then you'll need to replace everything together, yes. If they're not integrated, and there are two clamps on the handlebar, then you can replace just the brake lever with one from the hydraulic set. Shimano do make integrated hydraulic brake levers (with shifters), but they're not very common, and wouldn't come as part of a set you'd buy on the internet. So I would focus on separate components.

For the brakes, your 8.4 DS likely had either Tektro HDC-300 or Shimano BR-M315 or similar. Either of these would be a good swap on your FX 2. You can find these on eBay, and sometimes for pretty good prices. I lucked up and bought a set of the Shimano M315 brakes, used, for 40 bucks shipped to my door. They cleaned up nicely and I bled them after installation, even though they felt like the worked fine. The biggest thing to watch out for is the handedness of the brake. That is, most bikes in the United States are right side/rear brake, and left side/front brake. Other parts of the world are sometimes different. You don't list your location, but you want to make sure you get the correct handedness. There are a LOT of brake systems for sale on eBay that are left/rear and right/front, which may not be what you prefer. Unless you want to sell your current rotors with your mechanical brakes, you don't need to buy new rotors. Just bolt the hydraulic calipers to the brake mounts the same as the mechanical ones and you'll be good to go.

If you do need new shifters, the Shimano SL-M310s will work fine for that. You probably need a 3x8 setup (3 speeds left/front and 8 speeds right/rear). 3x8 is obsolete today in terms of being produced as part of new groupsets, so the latest shifter designs aren't available. SL-M360s are a little nicer than the M310s, and would match your RD-M360 rear derailleur if you like numbers to match like that. You can also get an SL-RS45 Revoshifter set in 3x8. These come in silver and actually have a much nicer-feeling action than the cheap black RS35 or lower Revoshifters found on inexpensive bikes. I have an RS45 in 7-speed and it feels quite nice to use. It has a much softer motion to it than the clack-clack-clack of the standard Revoshift unit. There's at least one Shimano Claris-series (road group) 3x8 flat bar shifter set which should also work with your 3x8 drivetrain.

I've had low-end mechanical disc brakes and I also have one nice mechanical system (Avid BB7), and all of them are shadowed by even a basic hydraulic disc system in my experience and humble opinion, at least in terms of overall feel. Mechanical brakes do have their advantages (such as serviceability in the field with simple Bowden cables), but the advantages of hydraulic brakes surpass those of mechanical brakes, for me.
Old 07-06-19, 11:08 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Maybe hire out the mixing to a bike shop? or consider cable pulled hydraulic calipers

want 4 piston? Yokozuna Premium Cables, Housing and Brake Pads ,

2 piston on the back should be fine Yokozuna Premium Cables, Housing and Brake Pads

I'm using a mix of TRP HyRd (2 piston) and Avid speed dial brake levers , in trekking bars,, dialed back..

a cantilever pull brake lever will be short, (so, compatible) pull.

TRP has a direct mount HyRd..